Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
12 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

have never worn sunscreen in this country tbh only ever used it when abroad

Same here, have spent hours in the early summer sunshine and don't remember getting burnt.

However Spain and particularly Canary Islands, it's no joke, especially between March and September. In winter the sun there is equivalent to March or September in the UK so not needed and is quite nice.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Metwatch absolute rubbish. The sun is very strong during April to August in the Uk . I know most people can get burnt during this time , in fact I’ve known many who have including myself and I’m relatively dark skinned in comparison to red hair fair skinned people ! 😊

Posted

Some people equate sunburn to heat, in April and May they are caught out for this reason, you'll see many a red neck on display when the sun comes out in April despite a freezing north wind!

• Like 3

Posted

damianslaw absolutely, for example it doesn't matter if it's 32C or 15C in June, the sun will be just as strong!

• Like 2

Posted

Has Spring come 🤣

IMG_0903.jpeg

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

ANYWEATHER for you....haha. Take a gander at my garden view. Quite the contrast eh! 

Enjoy it...such clear days are very few and far between in the times of 2023-24.

PXL_20240322_141241854.MP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Wold Topper No bad thing, most suncreams are as bad if not worse than UV itself so it’s very much a risk : reward re what one slaps on.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

well to me, the sun feels thousand times hotter in 32C, than 15C, at 15C, wanna be in the sun, at 32C, wanna be in shade

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: sunny and 20-25C. Winter: crisp and sunny or snowy

My parents were both declared vitamin D deficient late last year so I assumed I probably was too. Been taking vitamin D supplements since December, think I've got enough to last until late April. Might carry on taking them all year if the dull weather continues!

I do find it a bit baffling when some people think suncream is only for holidays abroad! I was in Majorca in the last week of September last year and the UV index got up to 7. My usual Factor 15 twice a day was fine for me as a fair-skinned blonde.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Don Good luck getting a 15c day in June that also has sunshine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

B87 Not really.  If we were to get a strong northerly in June, we could easily have sunshine and maxes of only 15C.

• Like 1

Posted

I remember Atlantic 252 yes, but the sun would be just as strong, although it would certainly feel much hotter at 32C.  Also you would probably more likely get burnt (my own experience!) if it was 15C, (especially if it was windy) than you would at 32C, as you would not feel it so much while in the sun!

Posted

Don Looking back at June 2012, the 15c days had very little in the way of sun.

2012 had 5 days with 15c or below highs. Total sunshine for those days was 3.6 hours.

Posted

Don Many a skier gets sunburnt for same reason, wind blowing on the skin makes you feel cool. Hill walkers know this, windburn effect, red face and sunburn despite cold wind on the skin. A windy sunny day is more dangerous than a still day in this respect, the wind fools you into thinking air temp is much colder than it is, and masks the sun affect. Even cloudy days can result in sun burn. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

damianslaw The earliest sunburn I ever got was in February 1989, when I was painting my house. . . in the Scottish Highlands.

Edited by Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
45 minutes ago, Don said:

If we were to get a strong northerly in June, we could easily have sunshine and maxes of only 15C.

5-6th June 2020 and 22nd June 2021

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Methuselah sunburn in February, wow you must have skin like a Rizla 😂

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 1

Posted

Bit of a look ahead from the CFSv2, just to update some of my earlier comments.

CFSv2

At short notice, CFS has now improved the prospects for April somewhat if it's dry weather you're after. A fair bit of blocking, but a ridge building into the UK from the north and west. Unusually, this means that northern and western areas may see the driest conditions. It's also a little warmer than average, possibly especially so in the far SE and SW.

image.thumb.png.79cd2d509583bc507a5388780ca61746.pngimage.thumb.png.a952f91722f29d6d71b783f1a631ae3f.pngimage.thumb.png.d8631315719b8fa8d88adc5726343cdb.png

Looking further ahead to May, we see a reduction in the blocking signal and heights building over and to the east. Potential there for some hot weather at times in May with this sort of signal. However, it does look very wet, especially across central areas. I do wonder with the heights to our east whether it could be a setup with some plumes - doesn't look to be scope for a lot of typical westerlies with this necessarily, but maybe some thunderstorms delivering heavy downpours, so a lot of rain but relatively few rain days? Certainly has to be a lot of direct southerly influence to get such a warm May.

image.thumb.png.ddd71aa058d49b3067441ff027de15eb.pngimage.thumb.png.367d3e829fbf098c0c2895e24b206cdf.pngimage.thumb.png.d424fe91a8e35082f2c066a7ebc1951d.png

NOTE: We all know these charts aren't worth the pixels they're displayed on, so strictly just for fun as always.

• Insightful 1

Posted

WYorksWeather I hope not, the rain is neverending.

That model is showing a total of zero dry months in the next 6.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Methuselah Envious that you lived in the Highlands for a time! One of my favourite places in the country. 

Just a shame that the climate is often so grim. Oh, and the midges during summer. Never seen the like of it, and I've been hiking/camping in many countries notorious for their mozzies.

• Like 1

Posted

Better than expected. Warm sunshine 🌞 

IMG_0908.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I was expecting today to be a washout, but it has so far been dry with sunny spells. Feeling quite pleasant too. 🌥️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2