Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

LetItSnow! Daffodils in February are not noteworthy though, considering they usually come out around late Jan to Feb (and the smaller, early flowering versions can be seen throughout the winter in mild years). Winter flowering cherries exist here, and any blossoming trees seen through Dec-Feb are likely to be of that species.

Hawthorn, sloe and the like usually leaf out in March.

Posted

richie3846 Spring 2016 was quite cold in March and April, but it also followed the very mild Nov/Dec period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

B87 I can only speak for my own experience but I have lived in this location for a couple of winters now and the advancement is ahead of even 2022 which was similarly mild. And I've lived in south-east all my life and the only time I can remember a similar year for growth was 2017 which had very advanced growth We had this discussion before but 2024 is the first time I have seen the very first leaves begin to bud in the first half of February. It has been an exceptional spell of above average temperatures that has persisted almost non-stop since September 2023 and nature is definitely responding to that which is undeniable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

2041986.thumb.jpeg.13f70ecbc504f7ba26b7a3d91d1e25dc.jpeg151986.thumb.jpeg.909175070029eb74c8fcead9b6371a60.jpeg

While spring growth is on the topic, here's some random images I pulled from the spring of 1986 which was very cold! The first picture on the left was taken on the 20th of April and the second picture on the right was taken on the 1st of May. Still looked like winter!

• Like 2

Posted

graph.thumb.png.602e4b362812bd1838a5220825e3f8d5.pnggraph(1).png.9784ac33151751a01e4fc808cfdb2afd.pnggraph(2).png.1ad45a5c012945fad4e38451c9e3207f.pnggraph(3).png.47c32c4e9239c0f8213eddc200b9a79a.pnggraph(4).png.563f2fdb3697197bc4d551e9bc8f02d5.pnggraph(5).png.7cda14ee9be5f65f2f15096ef6c30c43.pnggraph(6).png.b68a01ac41fe249a1837aebfaf4da1ee.png

This is the nearest soil temperature monitoring site near London, and these 50cm depth readings clearly indicate that 2024 is well ahead of recent years in terms of temperature. Currently 8.3c with 2018 at around 7.8c. Unsurprisingly 2021 is the coldest at 6.4c. 

Edited by richie3846
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Following on from one of the warmest winters ever in these parts, spring continues with much the same as record heat this afternoon in many parts and 30c reached in Upper Austria. Austrians highest weather station at 3400m just recorded 6c and that has never ever been recorded in April before.

C

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

carinthian

Unfortunately, I have had to give you a like, when I would much rather give you a "really dont like that" 

Posted

LetItSnow! The temperature on those 2 days... 15c on 20th April and 20c on 1st May. Pretty typical really, yet it looks like January in the photos.

April 1986 was Heathrow's coldest April on record.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

B87 Spring 2013 wasn't fully leafed out until some point in June in the south-east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

emmett garland May 2021 can't have looked much different. One of the coldest April-May combos in the past century. Unless the warm March put 2021 ahead slightly.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Relativistic Possibly .I have pic from the 30th April in my brothers garden and obviously there is greenery but in the back round I see a leafless tree  but that photo in 86 looks dreary🥶

Posted

B87 Nov 85, Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr 86 all below mean average, notably November, February - exceptionally, a sub freezing mean and April. No wonder everything was still bare by 1 May. It was a notably cold period on the back of a cold 1985, August and Sept 86 were significantly below average. Such conditions today would feel like an ice age. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Hoping this spring goes a similar way to spring 2018 and then a 2018 style summer to follow. Had enough of the rain.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Roll on.....☺😃

h850t850eu-59.webp

ecmt850-49.webp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Relativistic Here’s a pic I took in Wales on 2nd May. A lot of trees were in full leaf by then after the sunny April but as you can see some the real hardwoods on the right were still budding.

IMG_0490.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Relativistic Spring 2013 was cold, so that's not surprising.

I was at university then, and specifically recall it snowing during the 2-week Easter holidays when I was on a trip to Cambridge with a couple of my flatmates at the time.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

On the subject of foliage and growth, the bluebells are coming out here, same goes for the rapeseed. We're one week into April and it's like May already! We've had years where bluebells are out mid to late April (2022, 2020, 2017, 2011) but never this early. With a warm week coming up with notably warm nights we'll be on track for a full leafed landscape even before May.

20240408_174813.jpg

Edited by Bradley in Kent
  • Like 1

Posted

raz.org.rain It's always been a theoretical possibility. The April record of 29.4°C in 1949 was set midway through the month, and 30°C may've been breached in April 1775 if the CET records are to be trusted. The only thing that's changed is how likely it is.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

raz.org.rain I'm hedging a bet now that this april may have a CET very similar if not the same as 2007.  This year and 2007 will have things in common in the sense of an el niño start and a la niña finish.   

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

simshady You still glad for wet and windy?