Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

feb1991blizzard hi Mate , could you explain for us lesser mortals

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

feb1991blizzard Yes, well, this at the end!

IMG_8719.thumb.png.3eec515b32bb4e2f9825f290ce731f11.png

Completely smashed.  This signal is increasing - and given how the trop and strat have been connected pretty much all season, I think the strat vortex never recovered from the Canadian warming, my bet is on a very quick trop response if this happens.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

johncam The vortex is split (favourably) right the way through the atmosphere.

If you look at the charts you will see the low numbers (heights) either side of a ridge (high numbers), that means there is two lobes of vortex split far and wide.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

The 850s don't seem to add up to the actual pressure charts shown on GFS again its on the mild end if not an outlier +12 around Norway! What the??!

Screenshot_20240207_172640_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240207_172626_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240207_175158_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Kentspur

Posted

Kentspur That value around Norway can happen and is due to a Foehn affect. 

It wouldn’t spread our way as it would disperse once the conditions are no longer favourable (wind moving across mountains). 

Edited by Drifter
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The interest is around T168 where all the runs show the Atlantic jet buckling as it comes against the ridging developing through the Uk.

We see they all try to move to the start of an easterly but not quite getting there at that stage.I do like the ukmo run though it seems less progressive at that stage and we can see the cold from Scandinavia starting to move this way.

ukmoeu-0-168.thumb.png.7b7491e5a4196fa430e2ec28535eb7b5.pngukmoeu-1-168(2).thumb.png.164fe08f9b7003444c5858956be5a60a.png

The low that has finally moved east towards Denmark more of a feature and is almost acting like a trigger for the easterly. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 12z T378, zonal winds at -19 m/s:

IMG_8720.thumb.png.202f627291b8d6af07e2af21921cec02.png

Just wonder how much the big Russian high earlier in the run, and on recent runs, has to do with that.

• Like 7

Posted

Feel the direction through next week is still very unclear, and won't be until the low pressure moving in from today and unusually heading NW, though UKMO does then clear it east..clears away. Hence , I've been sitting back from commenting on recent model runs and will continue to do so.

Interesting to see GFS12z showing a path to colder air from the NE eventually followed likely be a retrogressive high, one run did it yesterday.. this could well be the direction of travel further into Feb, but we may have a milder southerly feed first. 

• Like 5

Posted

feb1991blizzard I’ll have a look I’m just trying to work out if we’ll have the right conditions earlier or later than 2018 which obviously will make a difference in times of increased solar interference. I suspect this year will be a much quicker down well however as the atmosphere appears far more coupled than 2018

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Laughable continuity on the gfs op.

Going from multiple runs of ultra mild soutwesterlies. To an easterly then a slowly retrogressing UK high.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

About time a GFS run managed to keep the Atlantic at bay later next week. As you can see from the rest of the run, it has a big knock on effect as for a week or so afterward, there is nothing in the pipeline to give the Atlantic another push eastward.

All it took was a slight revision of the trough orientation toward negatively tilted during the middle stages of next week. I was surprised how many of the overnight EPS suite had that negative tilt - let’s see what the midday suite has going on later.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I think that split-retrogression of the Siberian high via Scandi/N Europe to a UK high is better than a high stuck in Eastern Europe, and both GEM and GFS have this:

gemeu-0-228.thumb.png.387f65d404b489abc9808e56ed2a22cd.pnggfseu-0-276.thumb.png.652306eb219e12ddd65a20cfd61d77d0.png

Though two days apart (GEM D9-GFS D11)! The models still fluid in this evolution, and this was the likely route 3-5 days ago deep in FI on the GFS though it keeps getting discarding and being resurrected. The GEFS mean to D14 are similar to the 06z.

I think it's a case of letting the models sort themselves out. The Strat experts on here are hopeful that we get a coupling and a major reset in the NH trop so some good news.

• Like 3