Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Ukmo with a cluster of lows swarming around the UK for mid next week...excellent agreement for such a timeframe, although I doubt there is anyone out there wanting this you have to admit  gfs been showing this outcome for the run up to easter consistantly for days now baring last nights blip. The low does look like it will start to fill a little by the time we get to the weekend but staying cool and unsettled. It might be 7 to 10 days away but unfortunately  ill be amazed if all models switch to something settled and warm.

UKMOPEU00_144_1-13.png

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

ECM shows potential for a warm dry Good Friday in the South East ahead of low pressure which  crosses the UK during the Easter weekend, all models now agree on the Easter weekend only temperature levels are up for grabs.

The bleak Easter to come is a kick in the teeth to a depressed Britain forced to endure months of miserable weather and economic gloom.

Article in today's Telegraph compares 2024 to 1979. I beg to differ, 1979 brought a fantastic winter, not everyone liked it but I loved it 😀 

Andy

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Penrith Snow said:

The bleak Easter to come is a kick in the teeth to a depressed Britain forced to endure months of miserable weather and economic gloom.

With all respect to your view ,but my point yesterday as probably noted ,is that why are people writing off Easter which is ten days away still?  It may come with a shock to many ,but Easter could well turn out much better than the 10+ days of modelling gunk ,computer models come out with at that timeframe...☺

• Like 3

Posted

ANYWEATHER The problem seems to be that they never get it right when they predict a high and always get it right when they forecast a low.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

ANYWEATHER I think it much more likely that I will be able to Ski in Scotland than sun bath on  the south coast over Easter but I suppose you never know

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Do I spy some nascent plume-readiness? I know it's a long way out, but what with summer approaching and all that. . . 

image.png.d5e8ae0dfb7cdaad1690c7113f6d3b59.png

• Like 6

Posted

Just seems that we have been stuck in this pattern for months. I can't remember a time when it's been as long as this.

The pattern will change at some point. And I doubt the models will pick it up at long range. But nothing settled at the moment in the models.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Genuinely forgot what it's like to feel the joy of a UK high building in. Another wet April might just send me insane. 

Posting these charts 15 days away on the off chance (0.00001%) that a scenario like this verifies.

image.thumb.png.c51005793a4440819e4097881c7311bc.pngimage.thumb.png.f35eb69cb1890afce148939a8adcb4c8.png

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
10 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

12z deterministic runs, out to Tue 26th (day 7)

Let's enjoy the brief but welcome influence from the Azores high for the next couple of days, before the 💩 hits the fan next week.

animobp3.gifanimvha1.gifanimlur5.gif
animxhd4.gifanimjkr0.gifanimwzi0.gif

To further illustrate @Uncertainty's post above, here is the GFS 18z run...

animjqo8.gif

12z ensemble means, out to Wed 3rd (day 15)

animwnw8.gifanimera9.gifanimpdh8.gif

0z deterministic runs, out to Wed 27th (day 7)

It's almost fun to watch just how much of a monster our trough might turn out to be.

animifi2.gifanimnjm4.gifanimkgd4.gif
animrlt7.gifanimwdv3.gifanimixr8.gif

0z ensemble means, out to Thu 4th (day 15)

My hopes that we will see much of an improvement in the latter half of the Easter weekend are fading.

animbsu2.gifanimbjg0.gifanimqnr9.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

1% chance: The ec op has spotted a new signal

image.thumb.png.f7d6e376975c80c57fd2d3c3658d602d.png

99% chance: every other model / ensemble

image.thumb.png.ad6337be3488d7afee37be87cbb15ee0.png
image.thumb.png.7ced5bd3df104a43bd1dd8547b3d1c93.png

image.thumb.png.5cd41ee1d2d8eb02782226a1aba41b82.png
This winter has taught me what I already knew: op runs are simply single perturbations - if they fly in the face of consistent means, then they’re for the 🗑️

Will the ec op be right then?
I’ll let you decide…

Edited by Uncertainty
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Evening all 🙂

As @Uncertainty points out, 12Z ECM OP looks on its own tonight.

Once this weekend's chillier interlude passes, the negatively aligned trough comes in from the north west by Monday and by Wednesday the LP is more or less right over the top of the British Isles and the accumulated precipation numbers on the 12Z GFS OP aren't pretty with another three inches of rain for the south west by Easter Saturday. 

The "hope" is the LP fills in situ or just to the west and we get a slow improvement. Into far FI and fans of warm and dry conditions get their bit of eye candy as the jet is pushed well to the north and HP builds in - the ensembles are rolling out slowly on meteociel so I don't know if the OP is an outlier.

ECM OP pushes the LP quickly to the south and evolves a strong build of heights to the NE and a SE'ly airflow into Easter. 12Z GEM OP at T+240 has a shallow elongated trough which offers something drier for the south east but not much improvement elsewhere.

The idea of a NE'ly for Easter seems to have been discarded for now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

stodge interestingly the op could have been a trendsetter, the mean has strongly moved towards it:

144 current 

image.thumb.png.c9997f9ffc3d769f1b3fd1e498cc942d.png
168 yesterday 

image.thumb.png.69f37c57cd5304fb3f5416527dca5e91.png
More of an influence from scandi and a brief easterly, rather than the negatively tilted trough and nw winds.

The mean still gets the Atlantic again eventually; it’s more of a delay. Interesting nonetheless. Perhaps the ssw / WP mjo finally starting to show its hand. Let’s see where we’re at tomorrow.

Edited by Uncertainty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Worth bringing in the GFS postage stamps I think for the Easter weekend. Has to be said it's not looking great. Only P28 keeps things mostly dry during the daylight hours on Easter Sunday itself. Temperature wise it doesn't look like an especially cold Easter Sunday, but it will probably be cold comfort that given all the rain.

image.thumb.png.5e154928251fb1f6873f9e11072d406e.pngimage.thumb.png.9b311d7d9431c5a359f2499dcac5e2c0.png

Of course, as others have noted, we shouldn't take as gospel what the models are showing for an event that is still 10 days ahead, but at this range that's about as poor a signal as you're likely to see. Something has to give in the next few days, otherwise a notably unsettled and wet Easter is on the cards I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Anybody got a used ARK - think we are gonna need it this coming couple of weeks in the UK lol (according to the models)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

I will not try and post all the complicated stuff, but reading between lines, no point washing the car for the next 2 weeks and my water butts will be full! *Subject to change* possibly/maybe?

• Like 5

Posted

Bats32 You're not joking! A low sets up on the 26th, and just festers for 9 days. The best conditions on offer over that period are - "not too windy I guess". 

You'd struggle to draw a less pleasant run. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
12 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

0z deterministic runs, out to Wed 27th (day 7)

It's almost fun to watch just how much of a monster our trough might turn out to be.

animifi2.gifanimnjm4.gifanimkgd4.gif
animrlt7.gifanimwdv3.gifanimixr8.gif

0z ensemble means, out to Thu 4th (day 15)

My hopes that we will see much of an improvement in the latter half of the Easter weekend are fading.

animbsu2.gifanimbjg0.gifanimqnr9.gif

12z/18z deterministic runs, out to Wed 27th (day 7)

I tried so hard to find a friend for the ECM 12z.

animpey3.gifanimdxl0.gifanimswq6.gif
animtek6.gifanimogg8.gifanimuce8.gif
animrod3.gifanimuej9.gifanimzpj8.gif

12z/18z ensemble means, out to Thu 4th (day 15)

Now it's ECM, not GEFS, putting extra heights on the map.

animiqr9.gifanimahk7.gifanimgli5.gif

• Like 2

Posted

I think gfs is actually getting worse, low pressure over the Uk form the 24th March to the 5th April with by the middle of next week a 950 something low centred over the south west just spinning away for days and days throwing up a combination of little shortwaves and secondary lows. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Alderc 2.0 Thank god the ECM doesn't have the huge low spinning over us for days!🙏

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Wold Topper Thanks for reminding me - my butts on it's last legs👍

• Like 1