Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cat 5 Hurricane Katrina

Posted

Camille-1969 was 909mb at landfall

Labour Day Hurricane-1935 was 892mb at landfall

Gilbert offshore pressure 888mb

Katrina-2005, NHC reported, 906mb, wwltv reporting 902mb.

Edited by SnowBear

Posted
That gave me Chill Bumps.  Amazing Grace is one of my favorite songs ever.  Shows just how sad this is....  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It really puts things into perspective knowing that the people of this city believe that NO is doomed, and are showing this with that gesture

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

I think we should spare a thought for all the animals that will loose there lives in this.

it's not just the people that will suffer...

Kain

Posted

They have every right to believe in NO's impending doom. I would if i saw that storm heading straight for me, especially if i'm below sea level.

EDIT: If the animals have a god, now would be an excellent time to start praying

Edited by Paranoid

Posted
I think we should spare a thought for all the animals that will loose there lives in this.

it's not just the people that will suffer...

Kain

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very True Kain, with the numerous zoos throughout NO, many lives will be lost ;) I'm a BIG animal lover and I'm sure it will be devastating for everyone else ;)

Posted

Hi i see that most people are heading for Houston is this wise? the pressure is now droping and the winds are up to 180. Imagine being in the plane that is in the eye at the mo ;) rather them than me.

Posted
They have every right to believe in NO's impending doom. I would if i saw that storm heading straight for me, especially if i'm below sea level.

EDIT: If the animals have a god, now would be an excellent time to start praying

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would be interesting to see how the animals are reacting right now. You always hear about how the animals "sense" disaster before it happens with the Tsunami(SP) or Torandoes. Wonder if they are acting up and heading north with this...

Posted

I'm sure the 'cane will stay on course , and in Houston It is better than staying in NO because its only Cat 1 winds so much safer there

Posted
Hi i see that most people are heading for Houston is this wise? the pressure is now droping and the winds are up to 180. Imagine being in the plane that is in the eye at the mo  ;) rather them than me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Winds are up to 180? Where is that from?

Posted
Would be interesting to see how the animals are reacting right now.  You always hear about how the animals "sense" disaster before it happens with the Tsunami(SP) or Torandoes.  Wonder if they are acting up and heading north with this...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too true. With a pressure drop like this, they'll be first to realise something is not quite right.

Posted
Winds are up to 180?  Where is that from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fox news, aparently it came from a re-con plane that is in the centre of the eye.

Posted

Latest recon

URNT12 KNHC 281825

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE

A. 28/1755Z

B. 26 DEG 20 MIN N

88 DEG 39 MIN W

C. 700 MB 2242 M

D. N/A

E. N/A

F. 140 DEG 160 KT

G. 050 DEG 22 NM

H. 902 MB

I. 14 C/ 3050 M

J. 29 C/ 3064 M

K. 6 C/ NA

L. CLOSED WALL

M. C25

N. 1234/7

O. 1/1 NM

P. NOAA3 1812A KATRINA OB 05

MAX FL WIND 160 KTS NE QUAD 1743Z

EXCELLENT RADAR PRESENTATION

160kts FL winds = about 165mph surface winds

Posted
Latest recon

URNT12 KNHC 281825

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE

A. 28/1755Z

B. 26 DEG 20 MIN N

88 DEG 39 MIN W

C. 700 MB 2242 M

D. N/A

E. N/A

F. 140 DEG 160 KT

G. 050 DEG 22 NM

H. 902 MB

I. 14 C/ 3050 M

J. 29 C/ 3064 M

K. 6 C/ NA

L. CLOSED WALL

M. C25

N. 1234/7

O. 1/1 NM

P. NOAA3 1812A KATRINA OB 05

MAX FL WIND 160 KTS NE QUAD 1743Z

EXCELLENT RADAR PRESENTATION

160kts FL winds = about 165mph surface winds

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the pressure dropped a good bit, but the winds also dropped?! When the pressure drops isn't the wind force supposed to pick up?

Posted
So the pressure dropped a good bit, but the winds also dropped?!  When the pressure drops isn't the wind force supposed to pick up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not particularly, it just means the pressure is lower but the winds have fanned out further.

It's a good sign of further pressure drops.

Katrina is now the 2nd most intence hurricane on record to hit the mainland USA, GILBERT never did.

Posted
This is now quite phenomenal. Infra red imagery below. Perfect storm in some sense..unperfect in many others...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hard to believe something so beautiful and mezmorizing is so hateful and destructive.

Posted

Billy, 160kts at Flight Level, they reckon 90% I think it is, to estimate surface wind speed

so, 90% of 160kts = 144kts

144kts = 165mph at surface level

IceMan, Correlation between pressure and windspeed? dunno...my thinking is next recon might show a higher wind speed due to the current pressure drop, like a delay before the wind speed catches up with the pressure change, someone else may know more on this.

Posted

Just to say I have been saving images all day,radar and many other types,I've got 64 images already and I expect plenty more as the eye gets closer and the eyewall becomes better defined on radar.

Your right American Iceman flight level winds are higher then the ground,nonetheless pressure is so low i don't think NHC will dare lower the winds as its under great condtions and so it'll likely still have winds upwards of 170mph sustained,its just recon hasn't found those winds this pass,that not to say they don't exsit because wit hthat pressure its highly unlikely winds still aren't 175mph.

So the pressure dropped a good bit, but the winds also dropped?!  When the pressure drops isn't the wind force supposed to pick up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SOME VERY worrying hours lay ahead for the strike zone area- the outer rain bands beginning to affect coastal areas-

Courtesy of NHC-

click this link >>>> ( set the animation speed as fast as poss changing the tool bar- what an amazing site-)

AWSOME run loop of Vis sat

20.jpg

NHC predicted track-

151733W_sm.gif

Accuweather Update-

Real time update

Regards

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr