Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cat 5 Hurricane Katrina

Posted

that wouldnt be the only problem rixxxgolf

As American iceman pointed out to me, NO is below sea level and it looks like it will be flooded terribly unless the Hurricane were to be massively diverted.

Posted

As American iceman pointed out to me, NO is below sea level and it looks like it will be flooded terribly unless the Hurricane were to be massively diverted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lots of people think that New Orleans might be sitting under about 20 feet of water in a few days. Wouldn't surprise me if everything plays out like it's looking it might. It was also said that about THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people in New Orleans don't have transportation and are basically trapped in the city. So, they're gonna open the Super Dome as a huge shelter with pickup stations around the town to get people there ASAP. Lots of news crews are setting up at the Super Dome also...Let's hope it holds.

PS...They also told the residents to not stay below 2 stories.

Edited by AmericanIceman

Posted
By the way,Camille came in as a 165mph category-5,expect Katrina to be asd strog,if not a tad stronger....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah - I really think, out there, in the eye right now, there are 200-210mph gusts on tap. Due to it's colossal size, it will weaken as it hits land on it's northern quadrant quite alot, maybe a good 10-15%.

That said, if the land is flat enough, it will still wallop 155-165mph winds in.

And there'll still be reporters out in the thick of it, giving us over here the bank holiday of a lifetime.

Pepsi, sweets, crisps and music all of stand-by.

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan, mate.

Page 9 of this thread, i posted a few good links specifically about New Orleans and its location in respect to a cat5 hurri...have a check back; good reading - enlightening for me anyway :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Watching it now on Fox..

All I can say is Wow....

Kain

Posted

Thanks for the link Mondy :)

Wish the bank holiday was here in Scotland, I've got to go back to school tomorrow and want to track this 'cane till the end.

Will the remenants of this hurricane tail off over the UK later on this week?

Posted

Lol,

Due to this size of Katrina, do you think it will reform a second time like Ivan?

Could it be possible?

Kain

Posted

hi. i know this has prob been asked but what time is it likley to hit? Just watching fox and there are kids playing in the surf mad or what. This is looking really huge WOW

Posted
Lol,

Due to this size of Katrina, do you think it will reform a second time like Ivan?

Could it be possible?

Kain

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Katrina HAS already reformed once, but I doubt it will again, it'll dissipate high in the USA.

Posted
Has it changed track? looking at the animations it doesn't seem to be following the predicted track?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well spotted, it certainly has just jolted even more west, which is even WORSE for N-O.

Posted

Looks pretty dead on to me Hemlock,maybe even slightly west but its very close I think,needless to say,I think 180mph could be possible soon if it contniues to look good consdering how strong Camille was with pressure very similar to Katrina at the moment,6th deepest ever hurricane in terms of pressure and is making Ivan's landfall last year look pretty small in terms of danger.

It certainly is a rare event to see a storm this powerful so close to America.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Yeah I saw the kids playing in the surf, they must have a death wish.

I think I will be staying up tonight to watch Fox.

I can't help feel guilty because were all excited, yet we know there will be loss of life...

Kain

Posted

latest advisory from noaa. 906 mb central pressure, sustained winds at max 175mph, with higher gusts over 200mph. moving at 13mph nw, expected to turn nnw, shortly. some strengthening possible.

Posted

Just a peice of something a heard on the news, but some people are calling Katrina a cat- 5.5 hurricane. I have to agree, this seems like something out of a disaster movie. It's going to be a miricle if no-one is killed in this current incarnation of Hurricane Katrina. Just think that this started off as a humble tropical storm. People thought it would strenthen to a cat four or weak five, but i don't think anyone foresaw this monster. This looks like it could easily rival Camille and maybe even the Labour Day Hurricane.