Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cat 5 Hurricane Katrina

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

HURRICANE KATRINA IS NOW A CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE.

If pressure is now 915mb as KW has stated, then Hurricane Katrina is now a category 5 hurricane, with windspeeds of 150mph at nearly 05:00, this would not suprise me.

What is the record stength of a hurricane, as i feel that Hurricane Katrina could break that record as it is still nowhere near making landfall??????????

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Everytime I see this I always think of Katrina and the waves. :(

915mb, wow, hope they've boarded up wherever it decides to go.

Posted

what a beast katrina is. hard to believe this was a mere tropical storm only 3 days ago. i went to new orleans on a work trip a few years ago, and stayed in bourbon street. its such a lovely place, i cant imagine what it'll be like if katrina hits

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

I thought it had to be 150mph + for a Cat 5?

As for Katrina and the Waves...Love shine a light...and so on :(

Kain

Posted
what a beast katrina is. hard to believe this was a mere tropical storm only 3 days ago. i went to new orleans on a work trip a few years ago, and stayed in bourbon street. its such a lovely place, i cant imagine what it'll be like if katrina hits

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the levies protecting the city only designed to 15 feet, but they have settled and are more like 12 feet now. Well below the storm surge. It'll be wet.

Posted

Category Four Hurricane:

Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal.

Category Five Hurricane:

Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal.

Posted

Yes it is that low.Category-5 is winds of 156mph,Emily came very close already this year with winds of 155mph,briefly upto 158mph so it'll probably be upgraded at the end of the season.

The eye formed on the backend of a ERC,yes its common for storms to rapidly deepen after one of those,Charley last year did the same thing on its way to Florida.

Posted

The latest update shows that Hurricane Katrina is now category five with a central pressure of 915mb and sustained windspeeds of 166mph.

I hope everybody has been evacuated from New Orleans.

Is it possible to get a category 6 hurricane and what is the record strength of a hurricane as Hurricane Katrina may beat this?????????

Posted

at 915mb it is lower than Andrew, which was 922mb at landfall, only 2 where lower, Camille in 1969 at 909mb and an Un-named hurricane in 1935 at 892mb.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastint.shtml

Posted
The 1935 Labor Day Hurricane struck the Florida Keys with a minimum pressure of 892 mb--the lowest pressure ever observed in the United States.

In addition, Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone on record with a minimum pressure of 888 mb.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml?

Posted

Well now its a category-5,hardly suprsing considering its amazing structure,still Annular at present and no signs of it undertaking a ERC at present and with pressutre still dropping,this has a shot at being sub-900,with only two hurricanes ever doing this,1935 labor storm and Gilbert and with SST's getting warmer ahead of it,any dry air will not matter as Annulars can 'mould' the enviromental and take much more then normal systems can.

I think we can saftly say this is the worst thing that could happen,...and wil lbe the worst natural disater USA has ever had...with winds as high as 160mph and pressure fdown to 910mbs,as deep as Ivan reached at its peak,I think sustained winds could possibly reavch 170mph as there is nothing to weaken it and it looks perfect with a cracking Annular look,I think we can see another Camille.

Posted

AT ABOUT 605 AM CDT... 1105Z... AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE

AIRCRAFT REPORTED THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS IN HURRICANE Katrina

HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 160 MPH. Katrina IS NOW AN EXTREMELY

DANGEROUS CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE

SCALE.

FORECASTER KNABB

Posted
Well now its a category-5,hardly suprsing considering its amazing structure,still Annular at present and no signs of it undertaking a ERC at present and with pressutre still dropping,this has a shot at being sub-900,with only two hurricanes ever doing this,1935 labor storm and Gilbert and with SST's getting warmer ahead of it,any dry air will not matter as Annulars can 'mould' the enviromental and take much more then normal systems can.

I think we can saftly say this is the worst thing that could happen,...and wil lbe the worst natural disater USA has ever had...with winds as high as 160mph and pressure fdown to 910mbs,as deep as Ivan reached at its peak,I think sustained winds could possibly reavch 170mph as there is nothing to weaken it and it looks perfect with a cracking Annular look,I think we can see another Camille.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why has it grown into such a monster? are conditions perfect, is the gulf sea warmer than normal?

Posted

With about a day until landfall, Hurricane Katrina could become the strongest hurricane on record.

What do people think?????????????????????????

Posted
strange how they didnt mention it in the 03Z advisory.  they still have it at 115 mph.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surface winds are typical 90% of the flight level winds (In this case they do appear to be using this reduction)

Anyway the upgrade was following 30 second winds of 149kts, with 10 second winds of 153kts.

1059 2552N 08718W 03061 5415 142 149 092 092 153 02695 0000000100

Posted

The pressure dropped from 935 to 915, now at 910 in a matter of just a few hours....yet the winds only went up from 145-160; granted, that is a hell of a lot, but with the pressure dropping so rapidly you just don't know. It will be interesting what the next advisory has to say.

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Unless it loses its Annular status there is nothing to stop it from reaching sub-900mbs I suspect as it heads into ever warmer waters,only some slight dry air to the north can weaken it now...and maybe a timely ERC,even then its not gonig to go lower then a cat-4.So if it stays annular,expect winds upto 165-170mph,if not then greatly lower,but still increadibly dangerous.

Pressure down to 908mbs now by the way.

Posted
The pressure dropped from 935 to 915, now at 910 in a matter of just a few hours....yet the winds only went up from 145-160; granted, that is a hell of a lot, but with the pressure dropping so rapidly you just don't know. It will be interesting what the next advisory has to say.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cedntral pressure is now 908mb, according to latest advisory on radio new orleans hurricane special