Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Rita Pt3

Posted
I'm jealous I didn't see it  :mellow:   :unsure:   :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

weatherwatcher, if you have sky, just press the red button while tuned to sky news, and then select the Hurricane top story. It's a loop, and the footage I'm on about appears every 5 mins or so...

:D

Smich

Posted

Argh! How frustrating! One of our best clues to the health of the eye is the rainfall radar, and it's moved just out range of both the NO and Lake Charles radars! :unsure:

Smich

Posted
Some great (albeit brief) footage on Sky active of the eye from one of the Hurricane Hunters. Beautiful blue sky overhead, nearly stadium effect all around. Don't know when the footage was taken though.

Makes me wonder: how high is your average hurricane? Maybe a plane could still fly, say, 10,000ft above an eye, and get the mother of all photographs.

Most of the stuff we see is from satellite, or on the ground.

Smich

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be something else,I would be the nutter hanging out the plane snapping like mad lol....

Posted

You may remember this morning i posted about a buoy in the Gulf reporting 105kts wind speeds. Looks like it couldn't handle the 40ft waves. Only went and broke it's mooring!

"Station 42001 went adrift on 09/23/2005 and the last report from its moored position (listed above) was at 0230 GMT".

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
You may remember this morning i posted about a buoy in the Gulf reporting 105kts wind speeds. Looks like it couldn't handle the 40ft waves. Only went and  broke it's mooring!

"Station 42001 went adrift on 09/23/2005 and the last report from its moored position (listed above) was at 0230 GMT".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheap Tack moorings. :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Rita pulled up another 'Cuban Plume' in earlier on today and this mass is fast approaching mississipi/N.O. in the form of some beefy (Tornadic?) storms. Not looking good for N.O. at all. The worst is yet to come (rainfall) for her.

Back to Rita, she's re-wrapping herself in a 'wall' of heavy precipitation (new storm cells going up?) and her eye is starting to look more defined/clear. She may 'toughen up' a little even if she doesn't strengthen (more solid rain bands/constant wind speeds over a wider area) but I think she'll have one last 'Banzia' moment before going in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

I said earlier the eye was reorganising, but I was ignored..as normal

Kain

Posted
I said earlier the eye was reorganising, but I was ignored..as normal

Kain

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

jeez it's not a competition, it's a fast moving thread and posts get overlooked.

Posted
Impressively Rita's core does look to have stabilised in the last 2 hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, it is much more obvious now.

does this mean the storm is building in intensity again?

Posted
I agree, it is much more obvious now.

does this mean the storm is building in intensity again?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like she's countering the dry air but difficult to know if she's intensifying. Would think it will help her hold what she has though.

Posted
On the visible loop looks like a final intensification before landfall? :unsure:

The eye seems more organised again...

EDIT: Great minds GW :mellow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have to say mond, the loops are really good viewing. the NOAA certainly have got a good site.

Posted
jeez it's not a competition, it's a fast moving thread and posts get overlooked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe so, but it's odd how the more regular members get listened too don't you think? Coincidence, I think not.

Kain

Posted

Not being funny Kain but both me and Steve saw the possiblty of it stablising and possibly even strengthening,which is why I stuck with my 140mph landflal prediction.

core is indeed getting more stable as it sorts out the dry air problem somewhat on its western quadrant and the eye seem to be clearing out somewhat along with Dvarok numbers decreasing in assosication of it getting more organised,its improved apperance is thanks to it being able to ingest that dry air and that explosion of cells around its eyewall,I suspect pressure is probably decreasing a tad and winds may be slightly increasing,although probably not enough to up it to a cat-4 at this time but it may have time with its improved look to get there tonight before landfall.

IR shows very cold tops of -75C in the western and NW quadrants of the eyewall,expect the strongest winds to be located there and in the NE quadrant.As to whether its getting any stronger in terms of winds.probably not and pressure seems stable but what this also probably means,at least for now the system has become more stable then a few hours ago which is bad news for those in the path of the system as we still have a decent Category-3 heading towards the borders of LA/TX with winds probably gusting towards 140-145mph in some areas in the eyewall close to the coast,of course with the storm surge occuring it would be foolish for anyone to be out there now!!!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Fuxxake quit the bickering!

Feel sorry for the folk of Orleans now, looks like its still going to be a powerful storm on landfall, does anyone know the most recent estimated storm surge in feet or metres for the Louisiana coast?

Posted

kain your comments are read by others so in a sense you do get listened to. Lots of people post things and don't get a reply. We can't all reply to every observation made so just put your comments on the post and let every thing take it's course. Chill out man

Posted
Fuxxake quit the bickering!

Feel sorry for the folk of Orleans now, looks like its still going to be a powerful storm on landfall, does anyone know the most recent estimated storm surge in feet or metres for the Louisiana coast?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

evenin pinball :unsure:

Posted
Is the eye starting to clear?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

Last frame of that loop, it seems to look like it.

Kain

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, i apologise mate..didn't realise you had put that up earlier :mellow::p

Yep, it's her final push. She wants to do it, but is not being allowed. Too near land now. The eye seems to be reforming, but much smaller and really not enough time or heat left for her to do that ( i think) :unsure:

Dvorak

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Yeah it's ok KW, your one of the most knowlegable people on here, I respect your information and read it with interest.

Mondy, no problems mate.

It's some of the stuck up members that get on my nerves.

I await more people telling me to grow up ^_^

Kain

Edited by Kane