Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports 16th August Onwards

Matt B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

After having one thunderstorm this afternoon, we had a 2nd storm which wasen't as strong as the first storm. With the 2nd storm we had very intense rain this started at 6pm. Before the 2nd storm there were some magnificent CBs and some massive grey towers opposite us overlooking Cleeve hill. An amazing day!

Heavy rain this morning with 1 rumble of thunder. Heavy rain at lunch time too. Passing storm about 10 miles away at 5.30 pm brought some great cloud structure to the east with around 10 loud rumbles.

Yes i will second that SM , heavy rain and 2 rumbles of Thunder in Rotherham 7:30-8:00 today folowed by another weak storm this afternoon. Excellent Cu- Nimb Fading away to the North as i type.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

A large slow moving thunderstorm today, from 4 to 5:30 pm. Very gloomy, with quite heavy rain, vivid lightning, and cracking loud thunder. :)

Posted

A passing thunderstorm - it moved quite quickly, but was around long inough to see some very intense sferics (one strike brought daylight to darkness!) and some very loud thunder with associated torrential rain.

You people have no idea how good it feels to finally be able to post in this thread! :)

Posted
Reporting 2 more storms here too.

1. First aware of it around 03.15 with a flash of lightning. Observed regular sheet lightning towards Frome & other Somerset areas, this occasionally got closer although the crescent moon shine most of the time. Went outside once it moved to the NW and observed more sheets of lightning, very little thunder. This was still going and the lightning was very regular towards Bristol after 05.00 .

2. A small storm developed nearby & gave us a shower & a few rumbles between 06.00 - 06.30 .

Very little rain here as we were on the edge throughout.

Andy,

That lightning was right overhead at my location in NW Bristol (Henleaze).

It lasted for 15 minutes from around 0500 to 0515 and it was the

most spectacular storm I have seen for years if not ever!

Thundersquall.

Posted

Thunderstorm just clearing Cleethorpes at the moment....Heavy rain few CG's.....very bright looking towards Grimsby.

Must have been a baby Thunderstorm!

Still looks a bit gloomy to the south of us....

Rgds

Edited by GlennP

Posted

And 2 more from today!

1. Storm passed to the North between 15.00-15.30 with a few rumbles.

2. During the opening part of the 2nd half of today's footy match the storms came near enough to hear thunder and by 16.30 a huge CB with Mammatus was right over the ground. It produced day darkness and the floodlights had to be put on, thunder had been heard every two minutes for about half an hour and then, right at the end of the match (quite amazing timing), the heavens opened to a crescendo of lightning and overhead thunder. This continued until about 17.30 with regualr lightning/thunder & bursts of torrential rain. 19mm of rain in approx 90 minutes.

Posted

Prolonged thunderstorm on 19/08/06 at Steeple Claydon,Bucks from 4pm – 5.10pm.

Frequent thunder,power cut,hail,strong wonds,serious flooding and our conservatory starting leaking.It’s the first time it’s leaked in 2years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Got worken up by a surprise thunderstorm in Leeds at 5:50am this morning.

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

can hear some distance thunder around in dartford kent

Posted

^^^^^^ massive downpour here as well must be the same cloud lol

Edited by Sugar79

Posted

Thunder in Colchester, light rain, main cell moving Eastwards to the north of the town, out towards...Harwich/Clacton? Very unstable look to the sky, very dramatic looking....no cam so cant take pics unfortunately :blush:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

As mentioned on convective discussion we have a few rumblies, rain, sun, rain and more sun. Looks pretty black at moment. Not observed any lightning just yet but eyes are peeled. Actually last rumblie was about 5 minutes ago and nothing since so perhaps it has passed over for now. :blush:

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

Erm, I seem to be in the minority here but we're having the most massive storm here in Cheshire - near Manchester Airport. Torrential rain, maybe a strike a minute (so not too active) but enough water to make the rain pour down the INSIDE of the conservatory and flood the patio and road to a couple of inches deep! Seems to be easing a little now, but has been here a good 3/4 hour...

Stubbette

Posted
Erm, I seem to be in the minority here but we're having the most massive storm here in Cheshire - near Manchester Airport. Torrential rain, maybe a strike a minute (so not too active) but enough water to make the rain pour down the INSIDE of the conservatory and flood the patio and road to a couple of inches deep! Seems to be easing a little now, but has been here a good 3/4 hour...

Stubbette

Try posting this on convective storms/ general discussion thread.

:nonono: P

Posted

Stubbette

Yep, I'm enjoying that one myself moving past window over south Manchester. The rain's come in about 10 minutes ago, and the lightning flashes are fairly frequent (2-3 per minute).

Posted

Good T/Storm here,

Just finished lasted about an hour, Torrential rain and flooding.

jk.

oops It's just kicking off again so closing comps down, Bit too close for comfort.

Posted

Thunderstorm nearby for the last hour or so.

Moderate rain but low cloud base means I cannot confirm which direction.

Burton on Trent has had an overhead storm about an hour ago.

Still rumbling probably to the northeast towards Belper area

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
Thunderstorm nearby for the last hour or so.

Moderate rain but low cloud base means I cannot confirm which direction.

Burton on Trent has had an overhead storm about an hour ago.

Still rumbling probably to the northeast towards Belper area

Yes i can confirm that, rode home from work on my bike and have got absolutely drenched in torrential rain, lots of lightening and huge claps of thunder, I have recorded 17mm of rain since 15:00hrs.

Currently easing but still raining and now just distant thunder; the main storm cell seems to have moved away northeast towards Derby.

Paul