Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Countryfile / Country Tracks / Landward Forecast Thread

J10

Posted

Tomasz Schafernaker's Countryfile forecast was the best Ive ever seen! What an exciting week we have infront of us

this e repost from our thread

post-4629-12625202230413_thumb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've expressed my issues with many of the BBC national forecasts in recent years, but I have no complaints about the format and nature of the Countryfile forecasts which are at least as good as the ones we saw during the 1990s- possibly even improved slightly. They strike a good balance between information and clarity, and subjectivity remains at the modest, non-intrusive level we saw in the BBC forecasts of the 1990s.

I still think Peter Gibbs arguably does the best Countryfile forecasts of all, but Tomasz Schafernaker is also pretty good.

As others have said, something of a snowfest for many this week!

Posted

Bit of a classic countryfile forecast today, reminiscent of the Sunday 1st Feb edition last year but not quite on par with the infamous feb 1991 edition.

It was pitched right, given the potential major snowfall possible for the south east at the end of the week, it was right to suggest it could happen, but not give any real assurances at this stage, the low pressure as Tom said could easily drift further south meaning perhaps only the far SE would be badly affected. Still if I was watching it and live in the Sussex Downs/Kent areas and love snow then yes the best forecast for snow enthusiasts in these areas since feb 91, beating last Fed 1st edition.

For me, we are yet to beat the wonderful Feb 4th 1996 edition with the prospects of nearly two feet of snow on the way..

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

hi anybody got a link for todays forecast?

http://www.youtube.com/user/terratec365#p/a/u/1/FzOGt-NlfLE

Posted

I watched the Countryfile forecast this morning and I don't understand why everyone is still piping on about the South ruddy East! By the time they get their major snow it will have snowed near enough everywhere further north, topping up what some folk have had on the ground for, by then, over 20 days. Not just piddly little villages on the top of the Pennine's either, Edinburgh is quite big.

Edited by trickydicky

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Very interesting forecast by Dan Corbett just now, despite him stumbling on his words a bit, that low over the south North Sea will cause all kinds of headaches for forecasters for the 2nd half of this week, also Dan mentioned the weekend and the prospect of significant snow if that moisture gets pulled from central/E Europe towards us from the east around the low over the continent.

Posted

Very interesting forecast by Dan Corbett just now, despite him stumbling on his words a bit, that low over the south North Sea will cause all kinds of headaches for forecasters for the 2nd half of this week, also Dan mentioned the weekend and the prospect of significant snow if that moisture gets pulled from central/E Europe towards us from the east around the low over the continent.

He didn't seem to be bothered to me about the upcoming weeks events, mentioning the words 'several cms' and '5-10cms over the hills' and seemed quite unsure or vague about the SW feature on Weds/Thurs and precipitation amounts, but did mention the 'possible' snow event later in the week as the winds swing more easterly. Perhaps it's just me or reading through the posts on this forum that we are far more excitable and optimistic about snow events than the METO/BBC are - or maybe that is just Dan Corbetts style of presenting but going by Tomacz's forecast this morning for the week ahead people were close to passing out - not me. :nea:

Posted

I've never seen Dan C get excited or ramp over a forecast, so just his style, even though it is probably the most interesting week to forecast winter-wise for many years. The low over the N Sea mid-week onwards, like I mentioned earlier, will cause a few headaches at the MetO, so probably why he didn't go into too much detail other than broad brush stroking eastern, central and southern areas with graphics for snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

This forecast is on a par with the 1991 one imo. By the end of the week if this forecast came off, Scotland, much of Northern England, E areas of England and the SE will be completely buried in snow, and many parts of the Midlands and even Wales would see some significant snow.

IMO this is mostly a Scottish, NE, E and SE event looking at that forecast, but many other places could well get a thick covering of snow during the week :cray:

I'm amazed that so many people are wining, the Eastern 2 thirds of the UK should get a pasting with others possibly getting some :lol:

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

The Countryfile week ahead forecast always used to be on at approx 11:45am but Countryfile is now not broadcast until the early evening, but still includes it's own week ahead forecast.

The morning 11:45am forecast is still shown but as part of Country Tracks which is basically clips from old Countryfile progs. Hence 2 forecasts.

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
:diablo: Sitting patiently watching country tracks waiting for the forecast for the week.THEN just before the forecast was about start BBC1 cut to the film which was on BBC2.Then cut back after 5 to 10 minutes to country tracks,effectively removing the forecast.VERY strange :D:diablo::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Well the CF forecast shows know inroads from the atlantic this week and looks like staying cold.high pressure holding its ground and temps here never getting above 2dgs.Could be worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

:drinks: Sitting patiently watching country tracks waiting for the forecast for the week.THEN just before the forecast was about start BBC1 cut to the film which was on BBC2.Then cut back after 5 to 10 minutes to country tracks,effectively removing the forecast.VERY strange :drinks: :lol: :lol:

You missed very little. Potential snow for SW on Wed but temps across most od the country abot 2c but possibly getting to 4-6c for the SW. LPs trying to make inroad but not getting fronts beyond Somerset/S Wales. Gernerally cloudy everywhere and intense cold lost but cold throughout.

BFTP

Posted

You missed very little. Potential snow for SW on Wed but temps across most od the country abot 2c but possibly getting to 4-6c for the SW. LPs trying to make inroad but not getting fronts beyond Somerset/S Wales. Gernerally cloudy everywhere and intense cold lost but cold throughout.

BFTP

Yeah bit of a no mans land sort of forecast, cold, cloudy, and dry for many! lazy.gif

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Quite a vague forecast but after a mild few days a Northerly will develop windy, snow showers down the east coast by thu-Fri with temps of 6-7°C...:).... Pretty sure surface temps will be somewhat lower.

Posted

Liked the snow potential for the end of the week on today's forecast. There was a fair bit of the white stuff, for my region anyway, on those graphics :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Basic summary of that forecast is fairly mild for most of the week, perhaps dropping to slightly below average by Friday with wintry showers scraping the east coast.

Posted

I really don't like to criticise the pro's, but I have to say that I thought it was a woefully poor presentation of the week ahead forecast today. Anyone who knows a thing or two about weather would be able to pick no end of bones out of that "forecast" today. It looked like a 2 minute preparation effort. Of course, those awful graphic's don't help the presenter either. I find it really, really sad to see how much the quality of BBC television forecasts have declined. :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I really don't like to criticise the pro's, but I have to say that I thought it was a woefully poor presentation of the week ahead forecast today. Anyone who knows a thing or two about weather would be able to pick no end of bones out of that "forecast" today. It looked like a 2 minute preparation effort. Of course, those awful graphic's don't help the presenter either. I find it really, really sad to see how much the quality of BBC television forecasts have declined. :oops:

It has to be one of the worst week ahead forecasts we have seen for some time. I just don't see how they can put max temps of 6-7c with snow showers down the east coast. Seemed like a bodged forecast that had been put together quickly as the models had changed. This would never have happened with the no-nonsense symbols - would have been able to change them pretty quickly. Probably wasn't Laura's fault, but the forecast was of very poor quality, especially as recent Countryfile forecasts have been excellent.