Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Countryfile / Country Tracks / Landward Forecast Thread

J10

Posted

It is only the normal forecast not the week ahead one though,, but i'll keep looking.

But Thank you anyway :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
It is only the normal forecast not the week ahead one though,, but i'll keep looking.

But Thank you anyway :D

I think because there was no Countryfile today, you won't be able to watch it online as I don't think the iPlayer uploads the news bulletins and I don't think the BBC has it anywhere else online.

Posted
Sorry a bit off topic but, Countryfile forecast doesn't appear to be on the listings for tomorrow?

may be on after the news at 12-50 pm

Posted
Doubt if this will be the usual `countryfile-extended-thingy-forecast` []BBC yorks

i doubt it as well,have seen two different BBC weather men today and both had different forcasts

Posted

Caught the normal forecast on 24. At first had the average temperature for England in December between 7 and 8c, then showed the actual temperature around 2c-5c. The whole of next week bitterly cold, winds turning from East to South East with more sunshine, even colder with maximum temperatures around 1c in the south east to 4c further North West.

More cloud later on in the week with New Year heading in as winds switch to the North east, more cloud with maximum temperatures between 2c and 3c.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Staying cold all week highs around 2-4oC. Below freezing at night if there is no cloud cover. Graphics showed high extending to Iceland allowing a NE wind to develop around Thursday. Showed snow for Friday around East Anglia and South East. He mentioned not amounting to very much. Hopefully that will change nearer the time. Hope this covers it. A pretty dry week in all. Thank god for Sky+

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted
Despite the sunshine it will still feel disappointingly cold for the time of year.

Clear skies in January, what does she expect? first Countryfile forecast I've caught for a while and I was not impressed.

Posted

I think her phrase "disappointingly cold" was rather revealing. Bottom of the class for La Tobin.

The Beeb in general have been a little lack lustre over the Christmas/New Year period - time to see more of their better and more experienced forecasters Hammond, Gibbs, Corbett, Rob Mc et al. They are also missing the sparkly Helen Willetts (on maternity duty).

Whether or not they are correct to downplay tonight's snow event will shortly be revealed.

Posted
I think her phrase "disappointingly cold" was rather revealing. Bottom of the class for La Tobin.

The Beeb in general have been a little lack lustre over the Christmas/New Year period - time to see more of their better and more experienced forecasters Hammond, Gibbs, Corbett, Rob Mc et al. They are also missing the sparkly Helen Willetts (on maternity duty).

Whether or not they are correct to downplay tonight's snow event will shortly be revealed.

i think its p*** poor tbh...I find it incredible that for weather enthusiasts making a career in the job cannot sum up a little more enthusiasm for the odd spell of cold weather than they show, we never EVER hear anyone say 'disappointingly mild' or 'at least it wont be mild'

the best we get is maybe Rob McKelwee saying that the weather is seasonal, picturesque or some times referring to the fact that this has been a 'proper winter'...fair play to the man but why is he in the minority? Most [though not all] weather enthusiasts in this country prefer colder weather to mild in winter but the professionals seem to always think mild rules ok and cold is always bad. Guess its target audience but it gets on my nerves :rolleyes:

Edited by rich1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I don't think I have ever seen so much mild ramping before in a countryfile forecast :good:

"Definitely an improvement in the temperatures" - Well what does improvement mean? To me it's colder!

"The eastern half could SUFFER some colder temperatures" - It's only 5-6c for heaven's sake, it's pretty much average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
i think its p*** poor tbh...I find it incredible that for weather enthusiasts making a career in the job cannot sum up a little more enthusiasm for the odd spell of cold weather than they show, we never EVER hear anyone say 'disappointingly mild' or 'at least it wont be mild'

the best we get is maybe Rob McKelwee saying that the weather is seasonal, picturesque or some times referring to the fact that this has been a 'proper winter'...fair play to the man but why is he in the minority? Most [though not all] weather enthusiasts in this country prefer colder weather to mild in winter but the professionals seem to always think mild rules ok and cold is always bad. Guess its target audience but it gets on my nerves :)

I doubt that it's a problem with the forecasters themselves. During the 1990s, it was normal for the BBC national forecasts to give an unbiased account of the forecast weather, telling it like it is, adding the odd jolly phrase like "take a brolly" or "wrap up warm", and not injecting much in the way of subjective/opinion stuff. Meanwhile, ITV always preached the opinions of what the media says the vast majority of the population should share, and it always used to annoy me when a transition from sunshine and showers to misty low cloud and drizzle was branded an "improvement".

Since around 2000 there's been a growing trend for the BBC to move towards ITV in this regard- and it started well in advance of the change of graphics. I've posted before about a forecast for sunshine and showers in July 2002 which was presented with so much negative spin that my parents thought it was forecast to be dull and wet. I think the forecasters have been encouraged to present in this manner, unfortunately.

I remember a comment by Ian Brown a while ago that the above is necessary because forecasters can't afford to be enthusiastic about weather types that disrupt business. The latter bit is a fair point, but the former isn't- because there's no need to preach opinion at all.

Posted

Monday night rain

Tuesday dry with rain or snow shower.

Wednesday same as tuesday

Thursday same as wednesday

And so on

Posted

Mick, huge accumulations all week in the Mall and Whitehall!!!!! 70 to 80 cms making it impossible to get to work!!!! :)

Sorry, just lost it a bit there......

From what I can remember about our corner of the world - wet tomorrow, sleety Tuesday but some snow precip possible in the SE on Wednesday and Thursday. If the graphics are representative, most of the snow potential for us in the SE is Essex and Kent with Sussex possibly clipping it Wednesday morning. Then rain after that.

Was quite an interesting prog today with plenty of cold weather based items and one on whisky - get on BBC IPlayer when you're home!!

Edit: Snow potential in Scotland and the West looks likely all the way through 'till Wednesday and surprisingly the SW looks like they may get a little dumping, but that's my interpretation of the graphics.

Incidentally was that Laura Tobin presenting? :)

Edited by Coast

Posted

An excellent and sensible forecast IMO. There really is not a lot of evidence for any significant snow falling away from the northern hills.