Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Countryfile / Country Tracks / Landward Forecast Thread

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Listening to the 1255 forecast on Radio 4 you'd never know there was any snow in the offing at all. Laura Tobin mentioned nothing more exciting in the outlook than mist or fog lingering on Wednesday afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder
Less cold by Thursday/ Friday with more wind, however fairly vague. Not be be blamed really. A diifficult forecast to make.

C

I`m confused over the presenters comments on it being less cold at the end of week when she had a strong NE flow with the Low and its cold air pool off Norway? :lol: , (Am I correct though in assuming that in these modern day times we have to look at the "pretty bubbly presenters" and not pay any attention to what their supposed to be doing ie. - presenting a weather forecast to a professional and accurate degree? - I dont mind the ITV and local regional weather presenters as their free but expect much more from the licence fee BBC gravy train mob)

or maybe its just me,,,again,,? :D

I rather enjoyed the forecast,it looks reasonably hopeful for me here as far as at least one good snow event however I also felt there was a veil of vagueness as far as later on in the week when the front hits on thursday,will that be a snow event or not in the East?

Posted
I also felt there was a veil of vagueness as far as later on in the week

That's because it's a forecast not a definite. It's vague up until the point the snow hits my lawn then it's definite !! We've seen it go belly up sooooo many times.

That's because it's a forecast not a definite. It's vague up until the point the snow hits my lawn then it's definite !! We've seen it go belly up sooooo many times.

Good point well made turnedoutniceagain,I rather than meaning a definitive answer was more pointing out I didn't feel they even had a stab at it.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
I`m confused over the presenters comments on it being less cold at the end of week when she had a strong NE flow with the Low and its cold air pool off Norway? :lol: , (Am I correct though in assuming that in these modern day times we have to look at the "pretty bubbly presenters" and not pay any attention to what their supposed to be doing ie. - presenting a weather forecast to a professional and accurate degree? - I dont mind the ITV and local regional weather presenters as their free but expect much more from the licence fee BBC gravy train mob)

Pretty simple look at the forecast temps near normal for the time of year which is a recovery from earlier on in the week. She didn't say anything wrong at that point. Snowfall was lightly passed over but considering over hype of the last none event here caution is probably best at this point.

Posted

What the lady said and indicated on the charts was correct.

It WILL be less cold at the end of the week as the air source is NOT from way north but is recirculating air round the low progged to track around the 60 latitude mark thus bringing in less cold/mild Atlantic air into its cirulation. Thus as it gets east of the Uk the north east flow you comment on will have originated from somewhere off the Atlantic.

I hope that helps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Quite right- even the colder of the recent GFS runs, showing that second northerly at the end of the week, had temperatures a notch higher than those for early in the week.

The question mark over the end of the week is, will it be still cold but not quite as cold, or will temperatures return to the average?

As many will know, I have many gripes with today's BBC national forecasts, but if there's one forecast that has generally maintained high quality of presentation, and the right balance of clarity and detail, it's the Countryfile one. Indeed, some of the recent Countryfiles have IMO been excellent. Today's was vague due to the massive uncertainty over the weather- a shame for viewers who wanted to see more detail, but on this occasion if they gave more detail they might end up severely embarrassed come the end of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

,,,So it was "me" - current overload of events, data and user comments has got my head spinning ever since the last countryfile forecast on Sunday (30nov)

many thanks for clearing things up fellas ;)

Posted

if the charts currntly showing verify then a pretty good forecast in my view

Posted

Well that was a mild week given by Matthew,did not want to commit to anything mind you i don't blame him,the way the models are at the moment.

Posted

Yep - keeping my extra layers handy as Dan suggested! It's getting boring now though - fed up of being cold. Not much in the way of ppn around except for Mon/Tues then Atlantic systems grinding to a halt in the west.

Posted
Well that was a mild week given by Matthew,did not want to commit to anything mind you i don't blame him,the way the models are at the moment.

ment Dan not sooty :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Why no Countryfile today?

Posted
Why no Countryfile today?

The BBC do it periodically on 'special' weekends, it was similar with Rememberance Sunday though I think Countryfile went onto BBC2 then.

Would encourage you to watch News24 half hourly forecast in a few minutes to see if they do the week ahead then, failing that surely it'll be at the end of the BBC1 news bulletin at 12.20.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Mr Corbett giving an animated forecast as usual, mainly dry no snowmen but hints of colder weather from the

continent temps falling, by boxing day colder yet again. But we already knew this...

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Well at least he was hinting at a cold end to the week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
Mr Corbett giving an animated forecast as usual, mainly dry no snowmen but hints of colder weather from the

continent temps falling, by boxing day colder yet again. But we already knew this...

Yep, nothing he could tell us we didnt already know! B) At least we are all singing the same tune! B) :rolleyes: