Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell General Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Could well be one of the coldest nights this winter stormforce10 for quite a large area of the UK, will be intresting to see how low it does get tonight, I think the forst hollows could be rather bitter.

Yeti, Given the frontal system max northerly latitude has been increasingly driven further and further south over the past 48hrs on the models you can hopefully do the same with any system that come sin on Saturday which would leave you hopefully on the southern most extent of the colder airmass, hopefully!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

yep kold weather, could well be,

temps last night here -6.1c

-0.1c here already'

frost persisted in shade all day and reformed at 5;30pm

exciting stuff, havent seen this cold in years,

regards

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Yep here too, blimey it really is, -2.4°C now this is going to be the coldest night of the winter so far (unless unexpected cloud rolls in) and I doubt the rest of winter will be much colder what with longer days and stronger sun, but you never know.

The Beeb are going for a -12 here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

also couldnt help but notice that humidity levels were very low today approx 58%,

i think this helps with snow,

regards

Posted
Could well be one of the coldest nights this winter stormforce10 for quite a large area of the UK, will be intresting to see how low it does get tonight, I think the forst hollows could be rather bitter.

Yeti, Given the frontal system max northerly latitude has been increasingly driven further and further south over the past 48hrs on the models you can hopefully do the same with any system that come sin on Saturday which would leave you hopefully on the southern most extent of the colder airmass, hopefully!

KW this FAX chart has the front right over me, presumably the precip has fizzled out by then?

http://cirrus.netweather.tv/fax/PPVJ89.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
The Beeb are going for a -12 here!

Yeah on the not very accurate 5 day internet forecast, but you seem to be going along the same way as me so maybe -9°C or -10°C but Im not very familiar with the geography of your area so who knows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Temperature droping quite quick here now! currently 1.3c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
KW this FAX chart has the front right over me, presumably the precip has fizzled out by then?

http://cirrus.netweather.tv/fax/PPVJ89.png

Ahh so the MetO have gone along the lines of the GFS so we could see some.

Posted
Yeah on the not very accurate 5 day internet forecast, but you seem to be going along the same way as me so maybe -9°C or -10°C but Im not very familiar with the geography of your area so who knows.

Lol yes the -12 is OTT but I wouldn't be surprised to see a -9/10... It's going to be one cold walk to school!

Ahh so the MetO have gone along the lines of the GFS so we could see some.

I know it looks good doesn't it!

But I'm worried about it fizzling out.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

James, aside from the 0z this morning, we were always going to get three or four inches, if those FAX charts came off, we should be doubling that at least.

Posted

It's been surprising that the minima in the Redhill/ Charlwood area have not been particularly severe so far - Charlowwod is currently reporting 2.2c

Posted
Winston, If your on about Monmouth near Gloucester then it may be a difficult journey on thursday but it may be ok for saturday!

Thanks, Blizzards. Much appreciated! I'll take the dog team just in case!!

Best wishes,

Regards,

Mike.

Edited by Winston

Posted

just got in from-work it's been raining since lunch time, god help us if it freezes tonight.

haven't looked at the 12z, yet but with weather warnings now in force could be a rather

exciting time in store for us down yer :(:D

I think only place that will get down to -10C will be Shap its already -5.2C. Got down to -8.6c last night but cloud formed around 0500z onwards so temps could have fallen lower just before sunrise usual.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Central weather predicts 6 inches for us in Kidderminster and Birmingham and some other areas.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
Central weather predicts 6 inches for us in Kidderminster and Birmingham and some other areas.

yep i saw that :(

Posted
Lol yes the -12 is OTT but I wouldn't be surprised to see a -9/10... It's going to be one cold walk to school!

I know it looks good doesn't it!

But I'm worried about it fizzling out.

That chart isn't too bad actually Yeti. were north of the 528 dam line and the front is shown as a stationary occlusion rather than a dying front....

Posted
James, aside from the 0z this morning, we were always going to get three or four inches, if those FAX charts came off, we should be doubling that at least.

Won't the frontal precip have fizzled out though, by the time it gets here? Or at least get lighter.

That chart isn't too bad actually Yeti. were north of the 528 dam line and the front is shown as a stationary occlusion rather than a dying front....

Well here's hoping :(

At least it's not the NOGAPS, the FAXes tend to be good at short range.

Posted

Yeti- I suspect by the time it gets that far north the front will be on the way out, though as i said in the other thread I'm still not at all sure about it actually getting that far north, though this isn't really the place for that sort of discussion.

Also worth noting the strongest precip will almost certainly be on the south side of that front, I really can't see much on the northern side as its got quite dry and cold air on the other side of the frontal boundary which will make a difference and steadily 'eat' away at the front so to speak.

(ps, if all goes well the frontal systems arrival should arrive just in time to heighten the chance of having a day of college if the snow can settle.)

Edited by kold weather

Posted

And remember, many ppl who say it's going further S often only say that because they want it!

I still think the likelihood is that we'll miss the brunt though.

Yeti- I suspect by the time it gets that far north the front will be on the way out, though as i said in the other thread I'm still not aty all sure about it actualy getting that far north, tohugh this isn't really the place for that sort of discussion.

Also worth noting the strongest precip will almost certainly be on the south side of that front, I really can't see much on the northern side as its got quite dry and cold air on the other side of the frontal boundary which will make a difference and steadily 'eat' away at the front so to speak.

(ps, if all goes well the frontal systems arrival should arrive just in time to heighten the chance of having a day of college if the snow can settle.)

Thanks for that, I guess we just can't win here! :(

Roll on Saturday.

Posted
yep i saw that :(

yep, i feel so happy that we should get the best for once or certainly one of the Best!

6 inches is about:

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

About that much i think! Perhaps a little less.

According to Charlie on Central weather i should get my snow at 6am and tom f123 you should get yours at about 7/8am and then we will have snow for most of the day! Better not turn to rain at the very end of the day!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Of course that doesn't mean it won't snow up ther eif it does reach that far north,justthat it won't have the same sort of bite as it had say in the south/Midlands, but as the front will really struggle to get much further north then your location so while the snow may only be light it could last a while.