Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell General Discussion

shuggee

Posted
Well, its a marginal event and there happens to be a slightly warmer lobe of 850hpa level air above you. Coastal warming effects are probably likely to be involved too.

To be honest....the 'even larger teapot' has proved itself that we will never get snow like we used to in the 80's (or even early 1990's) up here in the north. Now it seems, even one 10cm event on the ground at lower-levels is a massive achievement.

I hope the people in the south enjoy there transient dusting of snow; before it melts back into oblivion and WIB's atlantic comes crashing in like a randy elephant in must; spilling its seed of mild zonality all over our idignant faces.

Very poetic ;)

Posted
Yes rain showers at the moment,which suprised me although there are snow showers behind,so should give a covering for you by morning. ;)

Nice clump of showers heading for north-east england,although agonisingly slow progress.

Are you sure? Seems to be heading South to me or am i reading the rader wrong? A NNE would really help at this moment but we only got a W wind according to XCweather.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Can't remember when we last had 10cm ;):)

Temps now down -2.1c so i think we'll get the coldest night of the present Winter. I'm going -3.5 to -4C for us.

Posted

-3.6 °C here reached -6.9 °C last night and it was -2.3 °C this time last night. I think it might get near -10°C tonight.

Snow that fell last night didn't melt much at all today, only bits that were in the full sun all day.

Dartmoor looks like its having a bit of snow at the moment.

Edited by Hywel

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Well, its a marginal event and there happens to be a slightly warmer lobe of 850hpa level air above you. Coastal warming effects are probably likely to be involved too.

To be honest....the 'even larger teapot' has proved itself that we will never get snow like we used to in the 80's (or even early 1990's) up here in the north. Now it seems, even one 10cm event on the ground at lower-levels is a massive achievement.

I hope the people in the south enjoy there transient dusting of snow; before it melts back into oblivion and WIB's atlantic comes crashing in like a randy elephant in must; spilling its seed of mild zonality all over our idignant faces.

You remind me of Jeramiah!

Posted
Are you sure? Seems to be heading South to me or am i reading the rader wrong? A NNE would really help at this moment but we only got a W wind according to XCweather.

I will confrim that them showers are moving A south slightly southwesterly direction, the air flow has changed now, I am from east yorkshire, them showers will affect yorkshire and around goole/selby between 10:30 - 12 midnight onwards.

Good luck looks like we will both get a covering off this.

Edited by Snowking2007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The L.P. north of Denmark is on the move west and driving those showers into the N.E. I wonder how far across the North sea it'll get 'cause it seems to be developing quite nicely now (from the meto sat. images)!

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

They are getting closer,but very slowly.

Looks like a weak trough,if you look on the chart below the wind behind the clump has turned north-easterly.

Posted

-3.2c :blush: colder than the coldest night weve had which was last night and the lowest temp was recorded at 7am this morning and it still only half 8 so im expecting atleast -6c tonight also the coldest temp last night was -3.0c

Edited by lesta_snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The showers are currently only just to the east of me (about a mile away at the most), I can see the tips of the Cb cells out in the North Sea. I have 0.0C right now so it's practically certain that those showers would produce falls and accumulations of snow with conditions as they are at the moment.

That large cluster up to the north that Cloud 10 referred to looks like it extends further west, so unless the western flank of the shower line dies out, there's a greater chance of more of that coming onshore in about two hours' time.

Posted

PP, your more bitter and pessimistic than ever, lighten up. There are quite a few showers off the north east coast showing on radar, and while the snowy ones which are hitting land look to be fractionally south of you, there is plenty more out there, and anyway the rain snow indicators on the radar are pretty poor. They do it in big blocks. you can see the straight lines all over the place where sleet turns to rain or snow or whatever. And the models are struggling at the moment; theres a reasonable chance that well see quite a cold setup develop for the Uk over the next few weeks.

And as for even larger teapot etc., the fact is that weve had 10-15 years of poor winters, but its not necessarily global warming, and actually the last few years, despite what you might say, have shown that maybe winters are beginning to go the other way. Last winter there was certainly lots of northern blocking. The synoptics just didnt quite work out for us. And this winter, despite being a disappointment, could end witha bang yet.

Basically, right synoptics = proper event

Edited by wellington boot

Posted
I will confrim that them showers are moving A south slightly southwesterly direction, the air flow has changed now, I am from east yorkshire, them showers will affect yorkshire and around goole/selby between 10:30 - 12 midnight onwards.

Good luck looks like we will both get a covering off this.

Really? The METO rainfall rader is really tricking me at the moment. Sometimes its seems to move ssw and sometimes S. Though i think its moving more S than anything else, I hope the air flow will change very soon because that will help. I wish TWS was here to give his thoughts on this.

Posted
Really? The METO rainfall rader is really tricking me at the moment. Sometimes its seems to move ssw and sometimes S. Though i think its moving more S than anything else, I hope the air flow will change very soon because that will help. I wish TWS was here to give his thoughts on this.

Hehe, the air flow has already changed, notice the change of direction just north and east of scotland, that will now be the trend for the rest of the showers. Them showers will inteisfy some more, when they hit inland they will intensify before dieing off as they push into lincolnshire and parts of east anglia.

Posted
Yay, fairly heavy snow here ATM.

:blush:

Well the temperature is now 2° in Aberdeen and showers are now falling as rain and sleet. Pretty gutted - snow during the day and sleet at night! 9 times out 10 it's colder at night?! :blush:

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
They are getting closer,but very slowly.

Looks like a weak trough,if you look on the chart below the wind behind the clump has turned north-easterly.

If you are on about that arrow out in sea then thats always been a NE direction since early afternoon.

To me looking at between 1900 and 2000 hrs on the rader its seems to me its heading due south. But hey what do i know, 15 year old beginner so i could just be talking a load of bull lol.

Posted

Evening all, Hope your all good. I'm just back from 2 weeks skiing holiday in Canada and I'ts nice to see that the uk may be finally heading for some decent snow. :blush:

As for canada, well I didnt think the air could get so cold. It has been my first time to north america and certainly the coldest temps ive ever experienced, I was like a little kid on the plane as the captain announced (Good morning we will be landing at Ottawa in 30 mins, The weather is clear and the temperature is MINUS 34C!) :blush:

As for here at home I think it will even snow in Carlisle this week :lol:

Posted

temp here in oxford rather laboriously dropping. Still 0.7 degrees though. I dont have my own thermometer here though, so im going by an online oxford weather station. When i looked at a similar thing for leicester, it said only -0.9 degrees

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
Evening all, Hope your all good. I'm just back from 2 weeks skiing holiday in Canada and I'ts nice to see that the uk may be finally heading for some decent snow. :blush:

As for canada, well I didnt think the air could get so cold. It has been my first time to north america and certainly the coldest temps ive ever experienced, I was like a little kid on the plane as the captain announced (Good morning we will be landing at Ottawa in 30 mins, The weather is clear and the temperature is MINUS 34C!) :yahoo:

As for here at home I think it will even snow in Carlisle this week :lol:

Wrong thread. :blush: :lol: :blush: :lol:

Posted

Those showers will never make it to here.

IMO Sheffield will be the N'ern extent of any beefy snowfall; anything N of that and it all fizzles and drizzles!

Bring on Saturday :blush:

Posted
Wrong thread. :blush: :yahoo: :blush: :lol:

Typical Wednesday fan, Are you sure your not a Blade!! :blush:

Posted
If you are on about that arrow out in sea then thats always been a NE direction since early afternoon.

To me looking at between 1900 and 2000 hrs on the rader its seems to me its heading due south. But hey what do i know, 15 year old beginner so i could just be talking a load of bull lol.

I was thinking more of the arrows over the far north-east of scotland which have changed from a NW to NE in the last couple of hours.