Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Discussion Part 5

Nick F

Posted

well it's started to sleet :wallbash: so it will turn readly to rain, :) at least i saw the snow on the moors today :) so all is not lost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

Temperature currently here on Merseyside -0.4c and dropping with a dewpoint of -4. Conditions currently look excellent here for snow if the front reaches this far North and doesn't fizzle out in the process. I'm feeling very optimistic we may actually see a light covering of snow here come morning/afternoon. :wallbash:

Posted

I notice that the heaviest of the PPN always seems to be in the sea(apart from Ireland). This is what will make the front slow down and give a good dumping in the East Midlands.

When looking at the rader i wonder how EA and the SE will get snow, its heading NE missing these too areas :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
well it's started to sleet :wallbash: so it will turn readly to rain, :) at least i saw the snow on the moors today :) so all is not lost

What's your temperature? It's 1C here and raining lightly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Surely it must be snowing somewhere to my north; I saw a shower on the radar that looked like it was on a collision course for Cleadon, moving extremely slowly from the ENE, but it has since sped up and changed direction, moving from the ESE.

The speeding up of the showers also suggests that the wind is starting to pick up a little; I have 0.6C at the moment, whereas before the shower sped up it was oscillating in the range -0.3 to +0.2C.

Once again the showers will probably start to hit Cleadon at around midnight; there's a fair cluster of them to the ESE at the moment.

Posted
i hope us folks in london get some of this but i'm starting to think we might only get rain/sleet.... if we did it wouldn't suprise me! but hey ho, thats a life

Hope the rest of you get a decent amount :wallbash::) :)

Did hear on radio that N/W London will get heavist for the Lodon area

Dallas

Posted
I notice that the heaviest of the PPN always seems to be in the sea(apart from Ireland). This is what will make the front slow down and give a good dumping in the East Midlands.

When looking at the rader i wonder how EA and the SE will get snow, its heading NE missing these too areas :wallbash:

I think the Meto radar is not showing the full length of the rain / snow band, so as it moved more inland i think the south easts rain/snow will be visable.... its still early!

This is not set to hit this area until the early hours.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
I wonder what the chances of freezing rain are. I think it's possible in some places.

I doubt there'll be any Freezing rain, because the forecast skew-ts show temps dropping with hieght all the way up, for freezing rain you need a warm front with a layer of air above freezing overidding cold air below - so that snow melts to rain in the warm layer aloft and falls into cold air below and freezing on contact with surfaces. That doesn't look to occur looking at the forecast skew -ts for Devon tonight and London in the morning:

Devon skew t for 00z tonight shows temps above freezing and dp just above freezing - so snow melting to rain when it reaches the ground

post-1052-1170882088_thumb.png

Oxfordshire skew t for 06z tomorrow shows temps around 0C and dp below 0C - so snow falling to the ground likely:

post-1052-1170882185_thumb.png

Posted

-0.3c here TWS and the snow is back on again - unreal - literally come from nowhere. Those showers out at sea (North Sea) seem to be pepping up and enjoy meeting the colder air further inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can anyone predict how far the heavy snow is going to get yet, local forecast are going for up to 10/15cm in Derby and yet others are predicting the heaviest snow further south.

Is it still a case of wait and see?

Posted
Surely it must be snowing somewhere to my north; I saw a shower on the radar that looked like it was on a collision course for Cleadon, moving extremely slowly from the ENE, but it has since sped up and changed direction, moving from the ESE.

The speeding up of the showers also suggests that the wind is starting to pick up a little; I have 0.6C at the moment, whereas before the shower sped up it was oscillating in the range -0.3 to +0.2C.

Once again the showers will probably start to hit Cleadon at around midnight; there's a fair cluster of them to the ESE at the moment.

Looks like me you and Mondy are the only people talking about coastal snow showers - just had a light 45 minute flurry which has produced a slight accumulation.

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
i bet even 10 foot of snow wouldnt stop or school closing! I had to go back on the 3rd of january! :whistling:

I think if we have more than 2cm tomorrow then that will be the most we had had for at least 2 years!

my school closed about three times when I was young and it had to pretty bad. It closedonce for three days because of a foot of snow and no teachers made it and again in 1987 I remember going sledging every day! I also remember my sisters school staying open in 1979 despite deep snow!

Posted

Rest Bay (Porthcawl) weather station Just a mile or two along the coast from me...

40 mins ago - Temp 2.6, Dp -2.4

Now - Temp 3.0 (rising), Dp -2.8 (falling)

...not quite sure what's going on there. I have been looking at the wind as well though, and can confirm that it has been picking up slowly at this location too - but only by a few (about 5 or 6) MpH - still, on average, blowing straight to the east though. Pressure slowly falling (by about a millibar over the last 40 mins)

Edited by crimsone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
my school closed about three times when I was young and it had to pretty bad. It closedonce for three days because of a foot of snow and no teachers made it and again in 1987 I remember going sledging every day! I also remember my sisters school staying open in 1979 despite deep snow!

Some schools dont care about safety!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

There were some light snow flurries today up in north devon where I was working, and I've just driven home down to Torbay, and guess what?......steady cold rain.....bugger!...lol Looking on the brightside though at least I saw a few flakes today! :whistling:

PS Is there any likely hood of this rain down here turning to snow overnight?

Posted
<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?units=both&station=I90580901" target="_blank">

Rest Bay (Porthcawl) weather station</a> Just a mile or two along the coast from me...

40 mins ago - Temp 2.6, Dp -2.4

Now - Temp 3.0 (rising), Dp -2.8 (falling)

...not quite sure what's going on there. I have been looking at the wind as well though, and can confirm that it has been picking up slowly at this location too - but only by a few MpH - still, on average, blowing straight to the east though.

Hi Crimsone

Ive got a nasty feeling its not going to happen for us.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

There were some light snow flurries today up in north devon where I was working, and I've just driven home down to Torbay, and guess what?......steady cold rain.....bugger!...lol Looking on the brightside though at least I saw a few flakes today! :whistling:

PS Is there any likely hood of this rain down here turning to snow overnight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind

Is the forum / site stuggling?

I keep getting...

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

Anyone else?

May be someone could let Paul know!

Posted

I keep getting...

IPS Driver Error

Anyone else?

I was just about to ask the same :whistling:

Edited by frozencamel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I keep getting...

IPS Driver Error

Anyone else?

same here dude , meltdown alert :whistling:

Posted
Looks like me you and Mondy are the only people talking about coastal snow showers - just had a light 45 minute flurry which has produced a slight accumulation.

Yes, started as graupel here then became nice dry sparkling flakes. About 1/2 inches here so far. Eased off but looks like another batch is due soon - could even be a continuous stream looking at the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.
Hi Crimsone

Ive got a nasty feeling its not going to happen for us.....

hmmm, i hate to admit it, but deep down ive got that very same feeling. i think its very marginal for me i here in cardiff :s