Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part XI

shuggee

Posted

We are in a right mess with the snow in Telford, I am looking straight at the main gritting yard from my office window, and their car park and the whole road is completely covered to get into it.

Wish I had a digital camara?

I'm just on my way out to start shovelling snow off the factory car park, and do some more gritting. Luckily we ordered some at 8am this morning, for instant delivery(this site is so good for knowing to do that!).

Posted
nice pics!!!

hey, when you were saying earlier how big the flakes were cradley way.. it was still light and was so for another hour until it started to batter it down lol...my point your like what 10 mins max from me in car..and it took an hour...maybe it is already showing signs of slowing down....over the snow capital of the UK lol :):yahoo:

hopefully could last til around 6pm! maybe later :)

Posted

Will West Yorkshire surely see something out of this? The band is hitting us soon….

Posted
I'm a bit worried about this front fragmenting before it reaches here but all the forecast show plenty of snow up here this evening, tonight and in the morning.

What makes this front different from yesterdays?

Mark.

PS: Getting a few heavy graupel showers here.

Its alot stronger than yesterdays, i don't think it will fragment(may weaken) but i'm still not expecting much here. Durham is a good spot though and good luck.

PS whats graupel and snizzle? I heard these two terms used before but i though grapuel is simerler to hail and snizzle is a very thin rain/drizzle. :)

Posted

Drew or anyone on high gound in the cotswolds - whats going on at the moment- much new snow? - I'm away from home due to return at 5 to birdlip, but in London now where it is dull

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
I disagree with you there. The front is much stronger than the first front so i should not expect it to fragment and two its still heading in a NE direction, seems to me that its start as light but slowly but surely its gets heavier.

Had mixture of rain and sleet here(stopped now). Hopefully the main action will be tonight but its depends on how strong the winds are.

Having watched the evolution on the MO rainfall Radar from 10:00 this morning, I agree that it's still moving vaguely NE, but I think it is clearly pivoting round to move perhaps ENE - the interesting thing is that it seems to have intensified and it's fair to say it's track has been erratic, so all to play for yet.

Posted

It's coming down moderately here in North Oxfordshire since about 11am-ish, +3c but not sticking at all. If we could only drop a degree or so it would be partytime.

Spoke to my Father in Abergavenny (Monmouthshire), having a complete nightmare down there, 6"+ on top of yesterday's efforts.

Posted
Sorry to say but don't expect much out of this tonight. Even though it will hit later on I feel the temps in the N Sea shall make this far to marginal for you so expect rain/sleet IMO.

I'm not expecting anything much TETIS TBH, i had my small bit of snow this week so i'm happy enough. And i apologise to the other poster i didant read the rader properly.

Posted

Dont think this is going to happen for south yorkshire/North Midlands. Its just throwing it down with rain and the odd bit of sleet. Oh my lovely snow from yesterday is just getting washed away (all 2 cm of it :) )

Anyone any ideas if this is set to turn to snow?>

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Its alot stronger than yesterdays, i don't think it will fragment(may weaken) but i'm still not expecting much here. Durham is a good spot though and good luck.

PS whats graupel and snizzle? I heard these two terms used before but i though grapuel is simerler to hail and snizzle is a very thin rain/drizzle. :)

I hope so, could be marginal.

As for Graupel:

http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/encyclopedia/graupel.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
Still struggling to settle here as it just got heavier where you are?

230 radar looks good for us

Hi ST,

i have a little bit of elevation,as you can see from my avitar,nr Hartshill side of Nuneaton.

Still Snowing well and indeed starting to lay on cars and paths etc.where it had recently melted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
Will West Yorkshire surely see something out of this? The band is hitting us soon….

Judging from reports so far, the precipitation needs to be heavy for it to turn to snow, and judging from the track the heaviest is struggling to make much movement further north-east, (light rain is falling in Manchester and Leeds), so it's really on a knife-edge, (but looking increasingly unlikely)

Posted
Hi ST,

i have a little bit of elevation,as you can see from my avitar,nr Hartshill side of Nuneaton.

Still Snowing well and indeed starting to lay on cars and paths etc.where it had recently melted.

we could do with a very heavy period just to turn everything white then it would start to pile up

the snow flakes coming down much bigger now

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
Judging from reports so far, the precipitation needs to be heavy for it to turn to snow, and judging from the track the heaviest is struggling to make much movement further north-east, (light rain is falling in Manchester and Leeds), so it's really on a knife-edge, (but looking increasingly unlikely)

Is that not a good thing though? Means the colder air is lasting longer than expected?

Andy

Posted

BBC forecasted it heading more ENE then North and was forecasted to miss cumbria. So to me the band is behaving itself at the moment.

Posted
I'm not expecting anything much TETIS TBH, i had my small bit of snow this week so i'm happy enough. And i apologise to the other poster i didant read the rader properly.

We need a true E,ly and you never know when one maybe around the corner :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

becoming heavier here now, makes me wonder about later, when heavier stuff does get here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
Hi ST,

Same here Phil - its settling everywhere now whereas earlier we were beginning to really thaw.

Looking great out there!

Posted
the weather forecast just said that sheffield and leads is going to be very badly efected late this afternoon into the early morning

Is that with flooding? hehe sorry about this, cant belive im 23 and feel let down when the weather doesnt go my way. Just wish It would turn from rain to actual snow!

Andy Allen

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
We need a true E,ly and you never know when one maybe around the corner :)

Come on TEITS - enlighten us - I would love this to come to fruition.

JK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
Is that not a good thing though? Means the colder air is lasting longer than expected?

Andy

I think that depends on whats behind this front - if there is another band behind this one which comes in further north later tonight when it's colder then yes, but if not then by tomorrow lunchtime it'll almost certainly be too mild and anything will be rain/sleet, which would mean that this band is the last chance for a decent fall for more northern areas

Posted

cars turned white in about 2minutes really coming down with the intent of settleing now, stays like this for 15minutes everywhere should be white again