Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part XI

shuggee

Posted

Thats certainly a sizeable mass of heavy precip over central belt of england and Wales. Would love to be over some of those Welsh mountions, would be quite a few inches up there i'd guess by now, how is it settling at lower levels on its northern edge as it does look moderatly heavy in parts though away from central Wales it doesn't look stupidly heavy.

Here it was just light rain but i had my fun yesterday, certainly looks like the S.Midlands have been hit the hardest as well as Wales from this cold spell.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Hi

Must say this is the heaviest snow i have seen in years. If this was in London it would be all over the news and papers. All factories and offices have shut and sent people home. I had to walk the last 2 miles home as roads were totally undrivable. It must be at least 8 inches out there now and its still snowing. Snow a bit lighter at the moment but there is a warning of more to come. :D

Posted

SNOW IS SO HEAVY HERE!! CARS REALLY STARTING TO STRUGGLE ON THE ROAD NOW! THIS IS THE BEST SNOW I THINK IVE EVER SEEN NO JOKE ITS JUST INCREDIBLE JUST BEEN ABSOLUTLEY TIPPING DOWN FOR 2 HOURS NOW 7INCH OUTSIDE! :D:D:cold::cold::cold:

Thats certainly a sizeable mass of heavy precip over central belt of england and Wales. Would love to be over some of those Welsh mountions, would be quite a few inches uyp there i'd guess by now, how is it settling at lower levels on its northern edge?

Here it was just light rain but i had my fun yesterday, certainly looks like the S.Midlands have been hit the hardest as well as Wales from this cold spell.

I walked up to Aberdare mountain and there was about 7 inches, probably about 9 inches by now.

Posted
Drew or anyone on high gound in the cotswolds - whats going on at the moment- much new snow? - I'm away from home due to return at 5 to birdlip, but in London now where it is dull

It's been snowing moderately heavily all day temp is 1C. Topping off an already decent show from yesterday. I'd guess I've about 20cm with some drifts - getting alot windier too but i think its too wet to drift much. Minor roads around me are quite difficult to pass. Even the |Foss has had problems - car overturned in Moreton in Marsh, although thats a favoured cold and snow spot not sure about the roads down your way. Not sure how much new snow but yesterdays foot prints have disappeared.

Posted

Maxdamage... Just down in Rotherham we are having the same problem with high temps and sleety rain. The snow reports show that the system is producing snow north of us and south of us. Is it really likely that snow will fall here, or realistically are we going to miss out on anything significant.

The BBC radar seemed to show a heavy band over us later on, but no evidence of that on the ground.

KY

Posted

My house backs onto two schools and a bunch of primary school kids have been released from class and are going mental in the snow. There were massive cheers as they left school for the day! Surprised the school was even open to be honest, the majority were closed again today.

Posted
Well nothing much to report here other than dull and cloudy!

Temps of 3.6deg and dew point of -1.5. :D

Hang on for a bit as my sleet has just turned to snow and the temperature has plummeted :cold:

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
Thats certainly a sizeable mass of heavy precip over central belt of england and Wales. Would love to be over some of those Welsh mountions, would be quite a few inches uyp there i'd guess by now, how is it settling at lower levels on its northern edge?

Hi KW,

I live in the upper Rhymney valley - 850 ft ASL - we have a lot of snow - roads are bad - about 9 inches of snow easily at the moment.

We have a fluctuating temperature range - we have now dropped from 3.5 to 1.3 degrees in the last 10 mins - snow dying out - we have had steady temp of freezing all morning up to 1:30 - hope it starts dropping and the precipitation picks back up.

JK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
Hi

Must say this is the heaviest snow i have seen in years. If this was in London it would be all over the news and papers. All factories and offices have shut and sent people home. I had to walk the last 2 miles home as roads were totally undrivable. It must be at least 8 inches out there now and its still snowing. Snow a bit lighter at the moment but there is a warning of more to come. :D

Hi WW,

Yes - apparently we should have snow till around 10 pm - you are not far from me as the crow flies - more snow overnight.

JK

Posted

tom- looks like west Midlands has done really well over the last few days, not suprised you've got so much snow, your area is close to a fairly intense band of snow, its not blizzard like according to the radar but it does look fairly heavy, esp just to the north of B'ham. Certainly is impressive though for the west Midlands, happy for ya!

WW- so my call of about 9-12 inches locally over a 48hrs wasn't a bad call then, I'd love to see 9 inches of snow on the ground, bet it looks a pretty sight.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Stephen, I've got icy rain here. Do you think DP's and temps will lower as the evening draws in and i might get snow? Will the heavier ppn continue heading N?

Should turn to snow as it gets heavier, it seems on the whole height is the key, evporative cooling will be the key here.

Posted

A new set of Warnings has been issued by the Met Office covering Derby, Leicester, Nottingham and Yorkshire and its valid untill midnight.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Light snow here, BD11 is my location, its been snowing lightly for around 30 mins, though at first it was more like snow drizzle or light sleet, got heavier, but could still only be described as light, BBC say that conditions around Leeds will be appaling by rush hour.

22cm in Sennybridge, Wales.

Not heavy enougth to settle yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
I walked up to Aberdare mountain and there was about 7 inches, probably about 9 inches by now.

I have family who live in Aberdare, bet they are loving it!

Just turned to full blown heavy snow here now :D get in!!! FINALLY!

Just like to add aswell, now this is my personal opinion having looked at the charts and models for tonight...

I think yorkshire could get a pasting later on from this band of PPN, when the temps drops after dark etc, it could get very interesting, if you have a bit of height on your side and you live in the north then it could get very interesting for you in a few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Seems to be settling in most places. Can't quite work out why it isn't here. I suppose it would do closer to 0C, but it is only 0.5C.

Posted
Ok its trying to turn into heavy snow now... But keeps switching from heavy snow to heavy sleet :cold:

I guess the severe weather warning for the east midlands is going to get to you but not up here in Nottingham :D its still rain

K

Posted
I have family who live in Aberdare, bet they are loving it!

Just turned to full blown heavy snow here now :cold: get in!!! FINALLY!

Just like to add aswell, now this is my personal opinion having looked at the charts and models for tonight...

I think yorkshire could get a pasting later on from this band of PPN, when the temps drops after dark etc, it could get very interesting, if you have a bit of height on your side and you live in the north then it could get very interesting for you in a few hours.

I hope so Andy that is exactly what I have got :D