Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Conv/Storm Discussion 31/5 & Early June

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Looks better for the likes of Mark (MCS) than me. North-west Durham and Northumberland were my original prediction areas for any lee of pennine developments...(if they should occur).

Hopefully, I think Peter f in Consett has an even better chance.

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on.

Posted

I can see pretty big CU almost CB build-ups over towards the Castleton/Sheffield direction, the clouds look like they have some pretty substantial energy within them and theyve been building for the past half an hour.

Theres also lots of build-up overhead too but I think a lot of the murk we now have is due to the front coming in, rather than any convection.

Posted

Everything to the east of the front is moving slowly northwards, maybe with a touch of NNE.

Which is why I'm interested in developments to the S / SSE of Plymouth. Looks like a mass

of rain is building over the Western English Channel with a red echo visible on the far south

of the radar extent. I assume this will move NNE and affect the West Country towards

and just after dusk.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Big storms are developing to the NNE of Manchester over the Pennine Chain.

Posted
Everything to the east of the front is moving slowly northwards, maybe with a touch of NNE.

Which is why I'm interested in developments to the S / SSE of Plymouth. Looks like a mass

of rain is building over the Western English Channel with a red echo visible on the far south

of the radar extent. I assume this will move NNE and affect the West Country towards

and just after dusk.

Big storms are developing to the NNE of Manchester over the Pennine Chain.

Can't see any evidence of the big storms you mentioned there, no sferics showing up on the IOW detector.

Posted
Can't see any evidence of the big storms you mentioned there, no sferics showing up on the IOW detector.

Sorry, I should have said there's the potenitial for big storms developing over the Pennine Chain

(the two red echoes show a characteristic 'blob-like' shape).

More showers are now developing along the same line to the SE of Manchester, and probably the showers

now developing to the west of London are associated with the same convergence line.

There is evidence now of a second convergence line developing to the south of the mass of rain over NW England.

And another heavy shower area has just developed over North Devon.

Looks like a wet night in the offing for Devon and other West Country locations as that other rain band I mentioned

tries to more northwards from the Western English Channel.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
Sorry, I should have said there's the potenitial for big storms developing over the Pennine Chain

(the two red echoes show a characteristic 'blob-like' shape).

More showers are now developing along the same line to the SE of Manchester, and probably the showers

now developing to the west of London are associated with the same convergence line.

There is evidence now of a second convergence line developing to the south of the mass of rain over NW England.

And another heavy shower area has just developed over North Devon.

Looks like a wet night in the offing for Devon and other West Country locations as that other rain band I mentioned

tries to more northwards from the Western English Channel.

Yeah, agree with you that there is potential. It has just started rainingwhere I am now in Romsey near Southampton, Hants. Quite big drops of rain and it has been muggy here today but am not sure there is enough cape about now to sustain any storm activity.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Think Milton Keynes is sitting smack under the convergence zone at the minute, theres some mighty dark looking clouds building and the atmosphere feels extremely potent. Very warm and sticky out, allready had a few drops of heavy rain. :)

Heavy rain now falling from a very dark stormy looking sky. Coming straight down like rods as there is no or very little wind!

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted

By eck!!! what a day of contrast... Most of the morning was warm and sunny, temps in the low 20's... now its more like november. Rain,low clouds, cold winds, Wind has changed direction to a NW'rly.

If this is summer id hate to see winter lol.

:)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nice and Black to west of us as it has been for a while. Just the odd light shower. Still nice and warm though. Since when did we have 20C in NOvember ????

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I see the western edge of the convergence zone. Very dark skies with turrets on the cumuliform clouds to the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Has anyone noticed how far south the showers are, alomost down to London!

This was'nt forcast by the bbc. Cant see any lightning on the any of the detectors.

Edited by john2006

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm too far West here.

Best thing to do if you want to check if lightning is around is put AM radio on. If lightning strikes it crackles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still about 24c here and extremely Uncomfortable!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
Im too far east

At the moment!

Thunder reported in West yorkshire, probrably from west of Ripon and harogate and over leeds also.

reports of hail and torrential rain also in the area.

Joe :)

Edited by jshaw

Posted

What are the chances of these becoming something big? and will they move east?

Edited by john2006

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the Sheffield shield is doing it's job. Killing the cloud off amazing how it works nearly every time. What looked like promising heavy rain has turned out to be very light.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Very dark just to the west of here. I suspect its chucking it down in Northampton. Wondering whether to chance nipping out to get a packet of fags or not.

Posted

Its quite dissapointing really. I cant believe these showers havent become electrified and its probably too late for it now! :)

With great convergence goin on, high-ish temps and a front moving down from the north west, I cant believe there hasnt been anything thundery! I think the lack of CAPE is comeing into play..

Posted

the met office warning has been extended further south

Edited by john2006

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Look how the showers are exactly following the line of convergence.

post-3392-1180901183_thumb.jpg

The flow coming from the east looks too strong, I doubt anywhere east of that line will get anything, hope i'm wrong.