Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

when will the rain stop?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
In the top 75 wettest summers now, its already wetter than summers 1986, 1987, 1993, 1998, 2002.

I'm just asking as the Beeb are saying the wettest summer on record. Mmmm.

Posted
They are referring to the May-July period :)

But May isn't Summer. :doh: :o

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Well that doesn`t surprise me how wet this summer has been the 80`s were nowhere near as wet as this summer and since friday I`ve recorded 4.2inches of rain which is totally crazy. :o

Well the title of this thread says "when will the rain stop" well it`s stopped 3 hours ago no more proper rain here now for a week-10 days... a few odd showers light rain are possibly yes... confident you bet. :doh::)

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Yeah i think your right PIT, though even then there is no getting away from the fact that this last three months (well actually more like the last 75 days or so!) have seen exceptional rainfall totals, i think thats one of these rare times when the use of that word is justified, we are smashing the May-July record right now and the fact we are in the top 75 of the wettest June-August periods ever depsite still being in July is most impressive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
But May isn't Summer. :doh: :o

judging by this year, neither are June and July :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

pleased the better weather is still showing for next week www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html, even 1 week of dry sunny weather will be good

still expecting sunday 29th july to be very wet all day but hopefully still with better weather to look ahead to next week

Just one from the 20th century there. Strange.

[ Strange that the figures should only be given less than half way thru Jul!!! It is already the wettest 3 month period EVER known for England- proof indeed that the climate in this country is in terminal decline. The fact is the climate will never improve to the levels seen during the middle period of the 20th. cent. when warm, dry, sunny summers, & indeed, other seasons were the norm. By 2025 most of England will be uninhabitable, due to vast areas of land being submerged. This is not difficult to foresee, indeed one can accurately f/cast the climate for at least 100 years ahead.

Also, the myth that our climate is becoming ever warmer has been totally exploded this year, with average temps for England & Wales, way below the norm one would expect. Proof indeed, that global warming is just a fairy tale. Sorry to be so downbeat, but there it is. By the end of the year, you will be thanking me. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
[ Strange that the figures should only be given less than half way thru Jul!!! It is already the wettest 3 month period EVER known for England- proof indeed that the climate in this country is in terminal decline. The fact is the climate will never improve to the levels seen during the middle period of the 20th. cent. when warm, dry, sunny summers, & indeed, other seasons were the norm. By 2025 most of England will be uninhabitable, due to vast areas of land being submerged. This is not difficult to foresee, indeed one can accurately f/cast the climate for at least 100 years ahead.

Wow! Share those methods with others, you'll be immensely rich in nano seconds.

Also, the myth that our climate is becoming ever warmer has been totally exploded this year, with average temps for England & Wales, way below the norm one would expect. Proof indeed, that global warming is just a fairy tale. Sorry to be so downbeat, but there it is. By the end of the year, you will be thanking me. :)

One or two months, does not a climate change make. It's just weather, ok? Lousy summer, but that's it. And that's from a sceptic of AGW...

Edited by jethro

Posted

Me thinks wind up merchant.

Posted

nkaol2001, well that was a rather interesting post, i'm sure others on here will be rather less tactful then myself...but its...well...interesting veiw of the future!

Firstly its the wettest May-June-July ever but I'd be pretty sure that there have been wetter 3 month periods, i know the Autumn of 200 was wetter then the last 3 month, upto about 450MM I believe. Our summer son average have been way warmer then what we saw in the middle of the 20th century, indeed this year is just a blip in a run of above average summers, at least in terms of temps though sunshine and rainfall rates will always vary too greatly to make a decent comprasion I suspect. As for your statement about flooding, last year it was drought rather then flooidng wasn't it!

As for average temps, this year they've been way above average upto this July, indeed the last 12 months from June 06-07 have seen the highest rolling CET ever recorded and its only July that appears like its going to come in below average. sure other months may come in below after this but who knows!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'll thank you now, 5 months early, for submitting the most cataclysmic post of the summer.

T.M

Posted

Funniest post i've read in a while, your almost as enthusiastic as i was a number of years ago! Coming up with wild predictions backed with dreamt up facts.

:) :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
when will the rain stop?

When the computer game Duke Nukem Forever comes out (only kidding; it could well stop into next week)

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
I'm just asking as the Beeb are saying the wettest summer on record. Mmmm.

Do you mean on TV/Radio, or on the website? What I heard someone say on TV was the wettest early summer on record. That may be an inaccurate term, officially-speaking, but I don't think I would grumble too much at an informal description of May as "early summer" (and Sept as "late summer") these days - after all it regularly reaches the mid-20s even quite early in the month, and in late May 2005 we hit 32o (or 90 in the old money).

Ossie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

nkaol2001 I have just been to see Harry Potter at the cinema, I do this every time there is a release as the Mrs likes it, she has read them all, I am happy because she is happy :)

Then you came along and reminded me of probably one of the worst films I can possibly Imagine, in fact I think it is the worst film I have ever seen, bloody Waterworld B) B)

The rain will stop, when its good and ready. A good forecaster will tell you a few days ahead.

Sadly there are too many prophets for any one to be believed. So if a right one ever comes along no one will ever know, will they?

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Uninhabitable by 2025? I can think of a few scenerio's where UK would be mass evacuated ~ Drowning isnt one.

Maybe it is the wettest summer* on record though, The top wettest periods for may - july was quoted as going back to 1782 (325 yrs?)

Wettest May-June-July periods for England and Wales

2007 379.7

1789 349.1

1879 342.1

1828 329.5

1782 329.4

And surely this will now be beaten with scenerio's being dreamt up for more LP's as we head into August - on top of any rainfall taken since that total was announced.

It does make me wonder though - Will we get more floods from ex storm / hurricane system spinning out from the USA during the end of Hurricane season given in some cases the setup path has been ideal.

B) @ waterworld !!

Summer* a term used loosely to define the period of may - july so not to start a debate on when summer is etc

Edited by kentish_sally

Posted

What were the wettest years before 1782 though? It's taken this long to be so wet..

Perhaps it's down to global warming? B) yeah right!! B)

Posted

Wettest May-June-July periods for England and Wales

2007 392.2

1789 349.1

1879 342.1

1828 329.5

1782 329.4

Wettest June-July periods for England and Wales

2007 271.6

1768 270.6

1839 267.8

1879 260.7

Wettest May to August periods.....and this is before August has even started

1879: 490.6

1912: 466.3

1860: 463.8

1817: 447.1

1797: 438.6

1828: 428.3

1830: 421.2

1829: 412.9

1931: 411.9

1768: 408.3

1924: 406.5

1792: 401.5

1852: 399.2

1958: 394.7

1903: 393.2

2007 392.2

Wettest Julys

182.6 1828

164.2 1834

158.4 1775

157.5 1880

156.6 1888

155.0 1787

152.9 1839

152.0 1816

149.5 1798

149.3 1779

148.0 1767

145.2 1822

143.7 1829

142.7 1875

139.0 1988

138.0 1936

135.2 1796

132.4 1920

131.7 1782

129.8 1855

129.4 1778

128.0 1789

126.3 1922

126.3 1802

126.0 1915

124.5 1861

122.9 1872

121.9 1801

121.9 1768

121.4 1879

119.9 2007

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
Do you mean on TV/Radio, or on the website? What I heard someone say on TV was the wettest early summer on record. That may be an inaccurate term, officially-speaking, but I don't think I would grumble too much at an informal description of May as "early summer" (and Sept as "late summer") these days - after all it regularly reaches the mid-20s even quite early in the month, and in late May 2005 we hit 32o (or 90 in the old money).

Ossie

Nah the Beeb News was ranting on about it. At least they dropped the La Nina for one of the reasons but then they said no end in site just when the models were showing a more settled outlook.

Posted

Just had a quick check on our figures now 30 days on the bounce where there has been some rain sometimes not measurable but still impressive. 24 days of measurable rain 6 days trace condition. This is also going to be our wettest summer ever and thats including August which hasn't started yet.

Posted

Looks like the May-July rainfall will breach the 400MM mark for the first time ever after Sunday given the area of band does look reasonably strong with general values of 10-20MM across the main rainfall zone, which to be fair is utterly amazing given the next wettest produced 349.1MM, which means we would be over 1/8ths wetter then the previous record, thats quite a margin!

Also pretty cool to see we've also broken the June-July record as well!

As for the May-August record, it will be under threat but I personally suspect the subtropical highs will be too dominate to allow that record to be broken, tohugh to be fair by that point even an average month of rainfall would probably give us that record.

Posted

I have been looking for somewhere to post my August forecast, and this topic seems exactly the righ place to answer you question :(

''Well,

What a month eh? Continuous rain and I don’t think I have seen a day, so far, this summer where it hasn’t rained! Serious! It has been truly miserable! But is there light at the end of the tunnel? Will the sun ever shine again? OR will autumn make a dramatic entrance and will we never see summer? Well let’s have a look at my August 2007 forecast;

My July Forecast was wrong because of this persistent rain that people keep predicting will move but it never did, but hopefully August will offer some rest-bite.

Precipitation: I don’t expect August to follow the trend of the previous wet months. In fact I expect near average precipitation unlike the 3 times the average experienced across much of the country. The main 'wet' period will be at the start of the month and again at the end of the month. The NAO is indicating a neutral phase to start the month, in which I interpret this as indicating a transition in the strength of the Icelandic low and Azores High. I expect as we head through the month the high to increase in strength and the Icelandic low to decrease in strength allowing the jet to finally head north again, in turn allowing the high to move north giving us a sustained dry period come mid-month, be it a hot spell though remains in the balance!

Temperature: I expect August to be slightly above average but not exceptionally so! The Metcheck CET indicates a below average July signaling the end to this long run of above average months! But with an increasing presence of the Azores high I expect warm air from Spain to be pumped up, the main problem I am facing now though is deciding on how weak the Icelandic low will become. If it becomes significantly weak enough we may be seeing the Azores high back out into the Atlantic and if it does so we will see Atlantic air pumped up, not warm land air. The Atlantic is a good 2 degrees below average so it will be a cool wind. So the main warmth will be mid-month and here after I expect the Azores high to back further into the Atlantic drawing up cooler air than what will be experienced come mid-month.

Overall I expect August to become a pleasant month, not hot but pleasant! Some days of wet weather, of course, but I think these will be kept to a minimum after the first few days! Will Autumn make an early appearance, well I think yes because with the Azores High backing ever more into the Atlantic as I am predicting I suspect low pressure, this time from the north make filter down into Northern Europe, as the charts may be predicting all ready, so wet weather to end may signal autumns arrival, but I cannot be sure!

CET Prediction: 17 (0.8 above average)

Many Thanks and I wish you all a great summer holidays, wherever you’re off to!

SNOW-MAN2006''