Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Posted
The big difference between this and the easter set-up is there is no warm sector as its a trough. May mean precip is a little weaker and patchy but it will mean that it could snow even in during the afternoon hours as the trough is marking the coldest air, in other words the trough will only be dragging in colder air behind it, it may become too warm for it to settle by the afternoon but dew points suggest it will stay as snow the whole way through.

sounds good, earlier today we were only supposed to get the odd flurry here and that would be around 6am, completely changed and shifted now.

Nothing settled at Easter, do you think there is any chance this time here at 32m asl?

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
well its clear here at the moment

Clear here too and not very cold at all for saying that snow is supposed to be on the way.

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

kold weather favorite word of all time.... "marginal" :doh:

True Steve but we only need temps of about 1C and by the time the cold reaches areas further south I'd have thought we'd be around that mark...in regards to the easter event we always had a large problem with dew points rising towards the back end of the system, esp down the south and on a personal point of veiw thats why no snow really settled, I'd feel far more comfortable this time around with the colder air digging in behind.

Besides from what I've seen looks like the colder dew points are running a little ahead of the front, esp on the eastern side though granted it is a little more marginal on the western side but this looks good to me...reminds me ALOT of Jan 2007 and that area that gave snow to CS England and the SE regions.

To be honest the easter event was probably better for northern areas then this but this will easily be better for most southern areas IMO.

Possibly like the Easter event in reverse-

Starting off sleety- turning to snow...

I would still bet against seeing LYING snow here an any point during the next 24 hours- unless something spectacular happens..

S

Posted

Looks like the trough is developing now and i can see the cloud from the trough. I think its the cloud because its not shower clouds and looks flat too me and it came out of no-where really.

Just got to hope its intensify a little bit.

kold weather favorite word of all time.... "marginal" ;)

I will coming though that snow zone 'known' as Crayford in a minute-- Some late evening Shopping to be done at JS!!

Looking at the current radar- whatever is developing looks to be moving SSE- not SSW so the home counties look to be in line for the cold rain :o

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think ina way perhaps under the misguide of synoptics, people have forgotten that it is April and these events become much more marginal, especially when the days become longer. The sun is almost as high in the sky now as it will be in June. I think it'll be hit and miss in terms of whether snow occurs and settles, but some places will be waking up to white tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Actually a shower has just moved in, but even though it's fairly heavy its pure rain, a little disappointing when the synoptics are quite well set up for it :o

Seems the dewpoints must be rising as the showers approach

I think you mean early September, Stephen. ;)

Close enough ;)

Posted

To be fair it is marginal though, though I am being a bit more bullish than Steve about this but maybe I'm being a little too optimistic who knows we will have to see what emerges tonight I suppose.

Dew points dropping ahead of the front, numerous sites reporting 0C and even -1C. Temps still look a little on the high side right now for my liking but they will drop away further south slowly as the cold air advects. I think Steve with this one its actually going to be the further south you are the better because there is more time for the air to cool down ahead of the trough.

as for lying snow, that maybe more of a thing for higher ground though I think it could happen to lower levels in the south beforen the sun gets too high in the sky, probs till 8-9am then it will probably have a hard time settling, so probably a fairly small window between 4-8am IMO for this.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

A few odd wet flakes in the last passing shower we had, but nothing to write home about. Something to write on here about though. :o

Posted

Well, give about another hour at most and that shower will have reached Bristol.

It's a bit confusing that many of the showers are showing as pink on the 5-minute radar,

if this is caused by an error then it will be disappointing to see just rain.

as for lying snow, that maybe more of a thing for higher ground though I think it could happen to lower levels in the south beforen the sun gets too high in the sky, probs till 8-9am then it will probably have a hard time settling, so probably a fairly small window between 4-8am IMO for this.

How much difference does it make for me at 70m (approx. 240ft) above sea level compared to central Bristol which is practically at sea-level,

as to whether the snow sticks (or pitches as we in the West Country term it)?

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Eyes to the north. Has anyone noticed a more organised band of precip in the north. Just coming into north yorks.

Posted
Eyes to the north. Has anyone noticed a more organised band of precip in the north. Just coming into north yorks.

yes I was gonna ask about this..

Posted

drizzle / rain west yorks

been watching and hoping

50mtrs asl

Posted

been watching and hoping

50mtrs asl

That's odd as the 5-minute radar is showing the precipitation as snow!

There's definitely something organising itself over North Wales which links to the band of more prolonged precipitation

over the Lake District and North Yorkshire.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

From the look of the radar I might see some of the white stuff at around 2200. I have moved desks in preperation (Now I can see a lampost :o ) It is bitterly cold here and very dry. Heres hoping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Hope i might see some snow tonight. Ive got my themometer working again. Now down to 2.9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

been watching and hoping

50mtrs asl

been watch too... looks convective (building as it moves south over something ? )... interesting that it's producing drizzle though )-:

http://www.meteox.com/gmap.aspx?zoom=5&amp...on=-1.845703125

Posted

Snowing loads here :o

Posted

Surface temps don't appear to be low enough right now for those in the north, precip may turn to snow on the back edge of the precip as the temps drop away as the colder air comes in behind the trough. Some elevation will help as well.

Edited by kold weather