Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Posted
Typical nature of the showers, shame this Northerly did not come earlier because colder air over a slightly warmer North Sea may of trigger heavier coastal showers.

I wonder why the North Sea showers are so weak, not what you expect of a Northerly but i think i answered me own question on the above paragraph. Lets see if this predicted trough makes up for today.

GS, just seen BBC 5.15 forecast and it looks a lot better fotr us tommorrow, that trough looks like it may produce from late morning right through the day. Fingers crossed eh?

Posted
Here on Tyneside all we have had all day is two light rain showers and one light hail shower all day. How dissapointing when we still have a weather watch on the METO site for blizzards and heavy snow in Tyne and Wear ! Where is it ??

There are a few heavy looking clouds around but hardly any precipitation let alone blizzards. It doesn't even feel very cold outside. Any chance later/tomorrow ??

Is anybody working at the MET today that can update the warnings or have we still got it to come ??

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Karl

Looking good for you tomorrow, my friend:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...;sess=#forecast

Don't give up hope yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
hahahaha yeah I was just thinking that, but hey thats nothing new, should be used to snow by-passing us eh?!!

Yup, well used to it now...and the juicy thunder storms too!

Last time this area was favoured over the rest of the South East was Boxing day 1993 mm, or 94 maybe, and incredibly for this location on a NWley, there was a wild cat shower with cery heavy snow and big flakes. It was very localised stuff... gave 3 or 4 inches around here, and also accross the river in a small patch of Essex, Barnhurst had about 5 inches. But a few miles either side and there was nothing, crazy stuff!

well bbc forecast said prolonged snow over kent tonight :)

:)

Hope its our part of kent!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
Here on Tyneside all we have had all day is two light rain showers and one light hail shower all day. How dissapointing when we still have a weather watch on the METO site for blizzards and heavy snow in Tyne and Wear ! Where is it ??

There are a few heavy looking clouds around but hardly any precipitation let alone blizzards. It doesn't even feel very cold outside. Any chance later/tomorrow ??

Is anybody working at the MET today that can update the warnings or have we still got it to come ??

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Karl

There is a large shower area heading our way. Its in Northumberland at the moment, but it may be all further inland. We will know in about an hour.....

Posted

Temp 0c currently ,had our first mini blizzard dry snow shower 30 mins ago. Stormy arctic sky to the north now with a strong N wind and massive snow showers to the north across the Firth. Snowiest looking sky this year, looks like we are in for stormy evening Hills now very white above 1000 feet all round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Typical. I leave for work this morning with Dorset set to be the centre of the snowy action for the south on the bbc forecast only to come home and find it all shifted eastwards to Hampshire and Sussex. You just can't get a reliable polar low these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Yup, well used to it now...and the juicy thunder storms too!

Last time this area was favoured over the rest of the South East was Boxing day 1993 mm, or 94 maybe, and incredibly for this location on a NWley, there was a wild cat shower with cery heavy snow and big flakes. It was very localised stuff... gave 3 or 4 inches around here, and also accross the river in a small patch of Essex, Barnhurst had about 5 inches. But a few miles either side and there was nothing, crazy stuff!

:)

Hope its our part of kent!

I assume it must have been Boxing Day '93, makes sense because it was a very cyclonic regime so even with a NW'ly, you'd have been getting showers coming off the sea to the north of you, and then south to you.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119931226.gif

I had a white Christmas evening that year in Tyneside.

Posted
There is a large shower area heading our way. Its in Northumberland at the moment, but it may be all further inland. We will know in about an hour.....

Thanks FP, look forward to it, hopefully the temp will have dropped a bit by then and we may get a flake or two !?!?

Posted

The BBC National and local have us down for sleet and snow almost all day tomorrow from 8.00 am onwards - is that likely this close to the sea in April?

I'm still amazed at how few people are on the board asking about the possibility for snow in a particular area etc etc - its like all the hotels have closed at the end of the season and nobody thinks you can book a room in Spring...

Posted
Typical. I leave for work this morning with Dorset set to be the centre of the snowy action for the south on the bbc forecast only to come home and find it all shifted eastwards to Hampshire and Sussex. You just can't get a reliable polar low these days.

Can't get one at all !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
Yea looks good that looks quite heavy im been planed to do a all nighter for a while now since this come up lets just say i have a great feeling about this a much better one than a couple off weeks back so its all falling into line now and looking great the only thing that concerns me is the temps and i dont want no crap little sleet showers which does not give the snow a chance to settle and the temps also concern me

Yeah, things seem to be looking better for us in London, did an all nighter the other week and it seemed that central London was the only place to fail to get lying snow, so may well be up again this time, just to get a taster if nothing else.

Speak later on no doubt and good luck to all.

Regards,

Scott.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Its not progged to kick off here until 18z today and tomorrow looks wintery all day with heavy falls later in the afternoon, as Nick said earlier jus keep watchin the radar..!!

NW 5minute radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
GS, just seen BBC 5.15 forecast and it looks a lot better fotr us tommorrow, that trough looks like it may produce from late morning right through the day. Fingers crossed eh?

We are getting to the time of year when a NNE'ly produces a clear slot near the Tyneside coast during the afternoon, with showers mainly inland, due to the reduced air-sea temperature contrast. However, showers should get going near the coast again this evening- the shower in Northumberland is touch and go but it probably won't matter anyway.

Over the next few days, Tyne & Wear should see less overnight showers but more daytime showers as we pick up more of a NW'ly.

Posted
I think somewhere like Southampton should do quite well tomorrow morning, probably heavy snow there first thing and settling for a while.

Stop it. I've done well ignoring this "snow" malarky until I saw on the tv a blanket of white over me! I will note believe it until I see it.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Had a brief hail shower here earlier and the sky is darkening now but the temps are not cold enough for snow.

Posted
Stop it. I've done well ignoring this "snow" malarky until I saw on the tv a blanket of white over me! I

Its talcum powder Beka :)

Posted
Yeah, things seem to be looking better for us in London, did an all nighter the other week and it seemed that central London was the only place to fail to get lying snow, so may well be up again this time, just to get a taster if nothing else.

Speak later on no doubt and good luck to all.

Regards,

Scott.

Hi scott yes its now looking great for mine and your area should see at least a couple off cms out off this and tommrow is looking good aswell for us let the good times roll on for us londoners tonight and tommrow speak through the nite mate

Posted

It's not cold enough so far in Norwich- but there is a huge clump of showers heading straight for here on the radar, might just manage something if they cause enough of a temperature drop.

Posted
Its talcum powder Beka :)

Talcum powder on tv?! Did they take a sticker off the map and had to cover up the stickyness? LOL

Posted
Thanks FP, look forward to it, hopefully the temp will have dropped a bit by then and we may get a flake or two !?!?

Much lower dewpoints spreading south this evening and overnight should turn the showers increasingly to snow,as is happening over scotland. :)

Posted

Driving back from Huntly to Aberdeen today I took some high roads which hover around the 350m mark and there are still decent patches of snow remaining in certain areas from the last northerly snap from nearly 2 weeks ago which i thought was quite impressive given some very mild days since then (like 19° in Eastern Scotland on Thursday.

Posted

Rain/hail shower here, i guess my hopes of seeing snow is from that trough that is expected to hit tomorrow. Can see the cloud from that shower which TWS and SM was on about.

Posted

Big risk of snow Sunday 0600 for many places:

post-3528-1207415475_thumb.png

Snow risk still there although less widespread Sunday 1200:

post-3528-1207415509_thumb.png

Greatest snow risk over Southwest England Monday 1200:

post-3528-1207415546_thumb.png

Then the next event with around 70-80% snow risk over Southern areas on Tuesday 0300:

post-3528-1207415603_thumb.png

So some nice upgrades here comaped to yesterday's runs I believe.

You may notice from all these charts that Bristol is always in an area at least 50% risk of snow.

Edited by Thundersquall