Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Hi Geordiesnow.I think our snow was mainly due to the intensity of the PPN.Easing off now.Hopefully the start of an interesting weekends weather :clap:

Posted

Quite big flakes of wet snow now mixed in with the rain , i know this was forecast and i know a lot of you lt like it but god its depressing . May day in the garden earlier this week seems like a distant memory now .

temp this time yesterday was close on 10°c today at the same time it 1.9°c

Edited by Delta76

Posted

This really is quite funny and i wish i some of you could see it and its no exaggeration . The snowfakes faling at the moment are the biggest i've ever seen some are 4 -- 5cm in length , i'm going to try and get a photo .

Edited by Delta76

Posted

Interesting to see the models are progging a possible snow event tonight down the west side of the UK. during the day the precip will probably be a wintry mix but as temps drop during the nighttime hours I'd bet the precip will turn to snow and obviously on higher ground you could see some snow settling.

The east will likely have the same thing on Sunday night so both sides of the country have a shot with this cold shot.

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs097.gif

The small streak of positive vorticity showing just why that precipitation across the yorks/lancs border currently is so intense. It also roughly shows the track it will take

Look at what happens at 1200

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs127.gif

I think by then it will be too warm away from higher ground, but lets wait and see

Posted

By the way I would watch just in case that precip tonight ends up further east, I remember an exact saame sort of set-up in Jan 2007 and snowfall progged over the west ended up tracking SSE into CS England and the London region instead. I don't think it'll happen like that this time but its worth watching.

Posted
By the way I would watch just in case that precip tonight ends up further east, I remember an exact saame sort of set-up in Jan 2007 and snowfall progged over the west ended up tracking SSE into CS England and the London region instead. I don't think it'll happen like that this time but its worth watching.

Looking at the current track it seems to spread eastwards once its south of the M4, id dare say surrey could be the eastern extent of the snowfall, but north of the M4 id say the furthest east will be oxfordshire

Kris

Posted
Quite big flakes of wet snow now mixed in with the rain , i know this was forecast and i know a lot of you lt like it but god its depressing . May day in the garden earlier this week seems like a distant memory now .

temp this time yesterday was close on 10°c today at the same time it 1.9°c

Mayday in April ????? Lol !!

Posted

I think the west deserves some snow this time rather than the east pinching it everytime ;)

the current forecast shows snow here about 6am but im not going to get too hopefull yet. and i wouldnt be too surprised if it all went east again. it would be best if we all got some!

Posted
Mayday in April ????? Lol !!

Thanks for that SM, sthat was supposed to read My day ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Had some wet snow earlier, I thought it was supposed to be only rain this early?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Have just issued an alert for the whole of the UK over the weekend, tonight looks interesting for Scotland, Wales, the Midlands and in the early morning - the south of England. Another area of more persistent sleet and snow spreading south down the eastern side of the UK tomorrow, reaching SE England in the evening ;)

Weather type:

Snow and Ice

Alert risk period:

05/04/08 09.00 until 07/04/08 06:00

Alert details:

An increasingly cold and unstable northerly flow will establish across the UK over the weekend, initially it will remain mild over southern UK with rain showers towards the east, but colder air digging south behind a trough moving south across Scotland this morning will spread cold air across the whole of the UK by Sunday - with further troughs moving south likely to bring areas of sleet and snow showers or more persistent sleet and snow across many parts of the UK over the weekend.

Wintry showers will become more frequent over Scotland, also later over northern England - over Scotland falling as snow intially over hills but increasingly to lower levels later today, rain showers over NE England falling as snow over high ground later on today. Accumulations of 2-5cm can be expected generally where it settles by the end of the day, perhaps up to 10cm over high ground above 200m. Drifting of lying snow is likely over Scotland in the strong winds later in the day.

Tonight, a band of more persistent sleet and snow looks to develop in the west - moving south down the Irish Sea/NW England coast reaching Wales and the Midlands by midnight, early Sunday morning will see this area of sleet and snow spread S and SE across Wales and the Midlands to southern England by 06z, locally heavy, with temporary accumulations of 2-5cm generally where snow settles - perhaps 5-10cm over high ground above 250-300m. Some travel disruption is possible in the south during the first half of the morning. Icy stretches are possible on any untreated roads.

Sleet and snow should clear the south in the morning - with all areas then seeing occasional hail, sleet and snow showers, most frequent in the N and E, where they will be locally heavy - with temporary accumulations at lower levels - perhaps 5-10cm over high ground above 250-300m. An area of more persistent snow showers over Eastern Scotland early-mid morning looks to move south to reach the North York Moors by early afternoon, then reaching the SE of England in the evening. Some temporary accumulations are possible at lower levels after dark in the East- with 2-5cm, perhaps 5-10cm over high ground in the north. Icy stretches are possible on any untreated roads.

If the forecast looks likely to change, Netweather forecasters will update this alert today or tomorrow. Further alert updates are likely for possible wintry weather over the UK on Monday and Tuesday.

Confidence: 80%

Issued by Nick F for Netweather.tv

Posted
Had some wet snow earlier, I thought it was supposed to be only rain this early?

Thanks for that James, Ive not long woken up, and found some wintry stuff on my window that was melting, unsure if it had been hail or snow. Cold has certainly arrived here, temp down to 3.5oC. Have looked on all the usual weather cams, cant see much snow over the highlands, but certainly lying snow on the North Pennines around Nenthead (pic below)

post-3616-1207390652_thumb.jpg

Posted

Latest Met Office advisory

There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting parts of northwest England, northern Wales and the west Midlands. There is a potential for heavy snow, with accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in places this evening and tonight.

Issued at: 1103 Sat 5 Apr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Yeh Storm Animal, no precipitation has arrived in many parts yet. There's a heavy band which will push its way south across the entire Highland region later today. I think it's just arriving in Helmsdale, which is a bit south of wick. So I'm assuming it's snowing in Wick as speak. Oh wait, its snowing here now XD. And heavily which is a bit unexpected. Anyway, it should hit the Drumochter Pass soon, i.e, traffic chaos in about 1 hour.

Posted

Thanks for that NorthernRab, I was surprised to see it looking so snowless, but im sure it wont be for long, you can look 30 mins later and it can be a white out! lol. I think the main prospect for any lying snow will be the overnight period tonight & tomorrow night, so its a case of early bed to be up early in the morning, or do like I did this morning, wake up and find its all gone! ;)

Posted
Snowing quite heavily here now and being blown on a strong Northerly wind. ;)

Must be great being in your location, you get to experience the cold conditions first, whilst we have an extra day or two of warmer conditions......are you the most northerly of UK Netweather members?

Posted
That's the weather for ya full of surprises ;)

Not sure why you are surprised being in yorkshire, always a chance of snow from cold northerlies up there.

Not being funny mate but i think most of us know the weather is full of suprises and living in S.Yorkshire also know we can have snow more often than not . A lot of your posts seem to patronise people and seem to have that winding up edge to them . What is your point ??????

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Probably had our Snow for the day but I was surprised to see it happen so early in the day. I suspect the rest of the day will be mainly dry with sunny spells and we maybe to far North for tonight's snow. Time will tell. Anyone ate waking up will be wondering what the fuss is about.

That's the weather for ya full of surprises ;)

Not sure why you are surprised being in yorkshire, always a chance of snow from cold northerlies up there.

Well it wasn't supposed to arrive until later in the day that maybe one reason.

Posted

Is it true an area of snow could hit here tonight?

Im fairly high up so could be worth watching ;)

At the moment nothing out of the ordinary here, about 7c with a lot of cloud but doesnt feel to chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Will i have snow in the early hours of sunday, i am 200meters up and in a rural part just north of the city of Cardiff, in Cardiff county area. The BBC shows snow over south wales in the morning but how meny times this winter have we been promised snow, all i ve had this year is 1cm. Very disapointing, luckly i went to upper NY state and vermont in america for 2 weeks in febuary and we had plenty (2ft plus) otherwise i would of saw nothing!