Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Posted
we have broken clouds now ......so what can i expect will the lovely snow arrive tonight or shall i expect it tomorrow ????????????

around 10pm tonight intil around 2am according to bbc forecast think it will move faster than that though

Posted
around 10pm tonight intil around 2am according to bbc forecast think it will move faster than that though

thanks for that looks like lampost duty again :)

Edited by toonarmy32

Posted

Wow, the pink shading gets darker with every run. Now Bristol is in an area predicted to have snow at 2 to 4mm/hr rainfall equivalent!

That is in snowfall equivalent 2 to 4 cms / hour, or very roughly 1 to 2 inches / hour.

post-3528-1207415865_thumb.png

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
Wow, the pink shading gets darker with every run. Now Bristol is in an area predicted to have snow at 2 to 4mm/hr rainfall equivalent!

That is in snowfall equivalent 2 to 4 cms / hour, or very roughly 1 to 2 inches / hour.

Actually the 4mm/hr refers to precipitation as water but with the expansion caused during conversion to snow, in reality it means approx 4CMS/HOUR of snow !! Enjoy.

Posted

Just nipping outside to saw some more logs !!

Posted
Actually the 4mm/hr refers to precipitation as water but with the expansion caused during conversion to snow, in reality it means approx 4CMS/HOUR of snow !! Enjoy.

Its a shame really that those charts at this range are as useful as a chocolate teapot really isnt it :lol:

Id call 2-3 inches perhaps, but those charts are far too low res to forecast with accuracy at this range

Id stick to the BBC forecast updates, the data they use is far more high res that anything freely available

Kris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Absolutely bizzare day today here. Had a football match between 2pm and 4pm and when we arrived at their ground it was pouring down but then cleared after about 20 mins. Between about 2pm and 3pm it was clear blue skies and the sun was warm and I was watching the game in a t shirt and felt fine.

Then around 3:20pm a big black cloud came towards us and it looked threatening! The wind got up and it felt absolutely bitter and it started hail/snowing! Lasted about 15 mins then the sun came out again and it felt pleasant :lol:

Posted

The latest Be aware warnings from the Met Office seem to suggest North Somerset, Somerset, Dorset, Devon & Cornwall

are out of the risk area.

Although I guess nowhere is immune from getting snow, and I find it strange to see Somerset and Dorset left out of the risk area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
The latest Be aware warnings from the Met Office seem to suggest North Somerset, Somerset, Dorset, Devon & Cornwall

are out of the risk area.

Although I guess nowhere is immune from getting snow, and I find it strange to see Somerset and Dorset left out of the risk area.

The forecast seems to track the area of snow further east than expected, i think thats why they have taken the warnings down for parts of devon, cornwall and south wales. It will be a freezing cold start to the day, I do expect some wintry weather early in the morning though so take care on those roads.

Posted

There's a band of showers about I guess 40 miles north of Bristol with our name on it.

A further more intense band of showers between Birmingham and Manchester could also be heading south Bristol way.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Will be very interesting indeed as we come towards the time the Sun's due to set. It's due to set around 7:51 pm,

which is probably just before that first band of showers arrives.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=299

Another shower has just popped up to the east of Bristol, and the one crossing Birmingham may well just clip us at best.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
Just had a very heavy hail shower, lasted a good 10/15 mins and left a nice little covering.

That bloomin happened when I was out walking, they were pretty good sized ones too, stinging my face, and even got in my coat pockets! Grrrrr!! Anyway, quite a few showers here today, no lying snow here, but from my window I can see that Bleaklow Hill & the Snake Pass have lying snow...only a dusting on the tops, but looks quite beautiful in the dazzling sunshine

Posted

Well it was 10C here at 10.30am. Front passing through about midday dropped that down to about 6C and its remained pretty much the same since. Had a shower about an hour ago when it dropped to about 5C, but its risen again to the same sort of mean temperature. Looking at the radar i'm pretty curious as to where this batch of "snow" is going to develop overnight and run in from the Irish Sea, through the West Midlands and central Southern England. No real hints of it thus far.

Mind you, going on the radar and the current temperatures in northern half of Scotland thus far, the air mass does look colder comparitive to the Easter spell at this time in - based on Good Friday for example.

Posted
The forecast seems to track the area of snow further east than expected, i think thats why they have taken the warnings down for parts of devon, cornwall and south wales. It will be a freezing cold start to the day, I do expect some wintry weather early in the morning though so take care on those roads.

Yes, i'm a bit gutted really - BBC had the snow to track SW over South Wales when I looked this morning - now it seems that it will miss us. Kids will be heartbroken....... :lol:

Posted

thats good for me, because last night it looked marginal for here but now it looks like i could have a few hours of snow tomorrow morning soon after dawn

Posted
thats good for me, because last night it looked marginal for here but now it looks like i could have a few hours of snow tomorrow morning soon after dawn

well what can i say for the midlands. i love visiting birmingham. at least 3 good hours through the night, some hefty snow showers and little sunshine, and an organized band of snow tomorrow evening, and perhaps a few flurries monday! 'tis rather exciting. lets hope the temperatures are capped enough to deliver. im not raising my hopes, or anyone elses, because i remember, from our ladywood friends, hearing the snow band failed to deliver to birmingham in march, after being forecast.

Posted

The Netweather Extra 5-minute radar is tracking the showers around and approaching Bristol, to track almost directly N-S,

even tracking a touch west of N-S.

The movement of these showers makes me almost certain Bristol will be affected by

the more intense band of showers further to the North which are affecting places including Birmingham at the moment.

I think the small cluster of showers making a bee-line for Gloucester may well just miss Bristol to the east,

but I'm sure I will see the cumulo-nimbus clouds froim which this shower is falling.

Whatever happens after sunset it will be a very interesting night indeed with the lamp-post watching.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I must say I am astonished. This could be the most productive snow "event" of the season and we are pretty much half way between winter and summer....madness.

Posted
im not raising my hopes, or anyone elses, because i remember, from our ladywood friends, hearing the snow band failed to deliver to birmingham in march, after being forecast.

Not true, I had a good 2mm's in 36 hrs !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As the METO said - "Heavy snow"

Posted
Large snowflakes falling here in the rain :)

well here in surrey i have had a mixed bag really heavy rain shower lasted about 15 then a heavy hail shower tbh its going to be very touch and go as to weather the snow will settle heres hopeing but looks like london and the home counties will get at least a couple off cms out off this has been predicted for it to hit us for a couple off days now so preety nailed on at the moment for us londoners im off to polish me sledge later :lol: :lol: :lol: