Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow on the way? April 5th onwards cold snap

Should be cold enough there, a lot depends on the track of the snowfall, the latest BBC forecast had it mainly over England, but the models seem to to suggest the heaviest of the snow around Bristol/Bath, wih snow for East Wales and other parts of southern England.

Posted

Mmmm interesting how we are about to possibly see a similiar repeat as to what we got overnight on easter sunday with a trough sinking through western parts. However, it doesn't look like snow cover will be as widespread or as deep as on that occasion. Going by the timing of the trough I would say mid and south Wales and the west midlands have a good chance of waking up to a snow cover come tomorrow morning. NW England looks marginal as the trough looks to intensify after it has passed through the region. SW England will see the snow falling come the morning.

As for the rest of today, unlikely that anywhere will see any snow cover other than our highest ground in the north Pennines and N/NE/C Scotland.

Tomorrow- I expect many eastern and south eastern parts of scotland along with NE England, East and North Yorkshire and later Lincolnshire and Norfolk could well get a temporary covering of snow, the deeper it will be depending on height and also it longevity will be determined by height.

Monday - still a good chance for widespread snow showers and temporary coverings in the east of the country.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Interesting 06z UKMO, brings sleet and snow SE across Wales and the Midlands after midnight tonight - then exits the sleet and snow across SE England in the early-mid morning.

Guest Shetland Coastie
Must be great being in your location, you get to experience the cold conditions first, whilst we have an extra day or two of warmer conditions......are you the most northerly of UK Netweather members?

Yes I think I am. Yes we get the colder air usually about 24 hours before the rest of the country but a lot can depend on what direction its coming from. Straight northerly and its pretty guaranteed but either side (NW or NE) and it can slip straight past us cos were such a small blob in the middle of the oggin!

Posted
Interesting 06z UKMO, brings sleet and snow SE across Wales and the Midlands after midnight tonight - then exits the sleet and snow across SE England in the early-mid morning.

This is what the GFS has been showing too, along with the BBC forecast, but as i mentioned earlier its only really when it heads south of the M4 corridoor that it spread eastward

Kris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Looks like the showers are starting to bubble up across N England now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
This is what the GFS has been showing too, along with the BBC forecast, but as i mentioned earlier its only really when it heads south of the M4 corridoor that it spread eastward

Kris

Yes its a bit annoying realy, seems to clip South West of London then Surrey and Mid Kent. Might end up a bit further East though, never know, or possibly stay further West even, 20-40 miles will make a big difference!

Posted

Looks like the MetO have removed a lot of Western areas from Sundays warning map..

Edited by Goatherd

Posted

Lots of snow showers this morning/afternoon, along with heavy hail and some rain earlier on. Temp around 5ish, dropping to 2-3 in the showers, DP was 2ish about 1/2 hour ago but is now 0, gusty in the showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
Looks like the MetO have removed a lot of Western areas from Sundays warning map..

:o No way!?

And areas just North of London too!!!!

Edited by snowray

Posted
Yes its a bit annoying realy, seems to clip South West of London then Surrey and Mid Kent. Might end up a bit further East though, never know, or possibly stay further West even, 20-40 miles will make a big difference!

Think it will come down to nowcasting to see how far east the sleet and snow will spread tomorrow morning as is moves S and SE across Wales and the Midlands ... the models are notorious for not handling areas of wintry ppn with great accuracy - especially GFS at this range IMO.

We had 10cm of wet snow here on the morning of 10th April 2006, though not likely to see that much tomorrow morning - lying snow over parts of the south and SE may not be out of the question:

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/2006_weather.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

What!!!! The band of snow or sleet is other the SE of Wales!

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm
Please try not to use all caps, Thanks!

Posted
:o No way!?

Typical. Dorset, Somerset and (a bit of) South Wales have no warnings at all for the whole period. Ah well.

Edited by Goatherd

Posted
Think it will come down to nowcasting to see how far east the sleet and snow will spread tomorrow morning as is moves S and SE across Wales and the Midlands ... the models are notorious for not handling areas of wintry ppn with great accuracy.

We had 10cm of wet snow here on the morning of 10th April 2006, though not likely to see that much tomorrow morning - lying snow over parts of the south and SE may not be out of the question:

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/2006_weather.htm

Yes I remember that well, didn't settle around here but parts of Kent and Sussex got a dumping, very heavy and at times thundery snow...was just after Easter as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

wind coming from directly north now bad news? had a mini squall before it wind was NW, snow tonight looks like going W of me now wind north

Posted
WHAT!!!! THE MAIN BAND OF SNOW OR SLEET IS OTHER THE SE OF WALES!

I would have thought that the areas on the bordering S Wales and England would have been in line for the worst of it (or best, depending on your point of view) re tonights potential snowfall, but yes indeedy, the weather warnings have gone for South Wales and most of the south West it would seem! :o

Edited by snowray

Posted
  • Location: Crayford the no interesting weather zone of Kent, (20m asl)

This is a good site, its all the traffic camera's up n down the country, so you can see if its snowing anywhere :o

http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/home_user.aspx

Posted

An hour and a half of moderate sleet then snow with huge flakes gave a very thin slushy deposit on my car windscreen this morning. Loads of showers now moving south :o

Must be great being in your location, you get to experience the cold conditions first, whilst we have an extra day or two of warmer conditions......are you the most northerly of UK Netweather members?

Yes I think I am. Yes we get the colder air usually about 24 hours before the rest of the country but a lot can depend on what direction its coming from. Straight northerly and its pretty guaranteed but either side (NW or NE) and it can slip straight past us cos were such a small blob in the middle of the oggin!

Yes i'm sure it has it's good points living there but surely wouldn't most people tire of the 12C days that the shetland islands seems to record often in the summer, i notice lerwick was the coldest place yesterday in the UK at 7.3C.

Posted

:o Loving the fact the Met Office have now taken my Essex Snowshield Seriously :o

1 of only 3 area in England not under the warning

post-24-1207398991.gif

Paul S

Posted
This is a good site, its all the traffic camera's up n down the country, so you can see if its snowing anywhere :o

http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/home_user.aspx

That map looks spot on S79! May have to rely on the cams yet again I suspect...

Posted
That map looks spot on S79! May have to rely on the cams yet again I suspect...

Yeah thats what iam thinking lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just had a hail shower here, but according to my Mam there was a temporary covering on the roofs and grass while I was still in bed, about 8am.