Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 08

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Theres still a chance of a white christmas. Who cares what people say. I look on the weather on the t.v every night and 7 times out of 10 they get it wrong so why give up hope?

How the hell can they say whats gonna fall out of the sky 2 months away?

It's rediculous!

SS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Theres still a chance of a white christmas. Who cares what people say. I look on the weather on the t.v every night and 7 times out of 10 they get it wrong so why give up hope?

How the hell can they say whats gonna fall out of the sky 2 months away?

It's rediculous!

SS

Nobody has said there is not going to be a White Christmas :S

Nobody has said there is going to be one either.

There is no point taking any real notice of these forecasts until the start of December at the very earliest, especially when they all contradict each other.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
Nobody has said there is not going to be a White Christmas :S

Nobody has said there is going to be one either.

There is no point taking any real notice of these forecasts until the start of December at the very earliest, especially when they all contradict each other.

Exactly what i was gonna say nick.

SS

Posted

Snow Forecast Issued: 2008-11-05 21:54:00

Next update: 2008-11-07 21:00:00

:):):D

so dont look good

Regions Affected

The UK

Synopsis

The Christmas period remains a fairly mild and wet one. Atlantic LOW pressure systems are forecast to dominate, bringing predominately westerly winds. Therefore, unsettled conditions are currently expected for much of the country on Christmas Day, with bands of rain or showers in places. The driest conditions are expected to be in the southeast. Snow is currently unlikely at this stage virtually across the whole of the UK. Temperatures are forecast to range from 7-10C in the North, and 9-12C in the South. In general, a mild and wet Christmas is expected, with snow unlikely.

http://ukasf.weather2day.com/index.php?nam...st-wc&id=17

post-449-1225923125_thumb.png

Posted

There is absolutely No chance of snow at Christmas down here. How can I be so sure? I have lived here since 1966 and know we almost never get snow before February.

Actually we almost never get snow, full stop!

:D

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
Whoever wrote that forcast should check their calender. They put 'with no other major events'. Did no-one remember remberance day??

I think he means public holidays/celebrations, I wouldn't call remembrance day a holiday or celebration.

Posted

a bit better :D

Snow Forecast Issued: 2008-11-07 22:19:00

Next update: 2008-11-12 21:00:00

Regions Affected

The UK

Synopsis

The Christmas period is expected to be a fairly cool and wet one. Atlantic LOW pressure systems are forecast to dominate, bringing northwesterly winds. Therefore, unsettled conditions are currently expected for much of the country on Christmas Day, with bands of rain or showers in places. The driest conditions are expected to be in the southeast. Snow is currently likely expected on higher ground of Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England. Temperatures are forecast to range from 4-6C in the North, and 6-9C in the South. In general, a cool and wet Christmas is expected, with snow likely on northern hills.

http://ukasf.weather2day.com/index.php?nam...st-wc&id=19

post-449-1226135637_thumb.png

Posted
a bit better :D

Snow Forecast Issued: 2008-11-07 22:19:00

Next update: 2008-11-12 21:00:00

Regions Affected

The UK

Synopsis

The Christmas period is expected to be a fairly cool and wet one. Atlantic LOW pressure systems are forecast to dominate, bringing northwesterly winds. Therefore, unsettled conditions are currently expected for much of the country on Christmas Day, with bands of rain or showers in places. The driest conditions are expected to be in the southeast. Snow is currently likely expected on higher ground of Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England. Temperatures are forecast to range from 4-6C in the North, and 6-9C in the South. In general, a cool and wet Christmas is expected, with snow likely on northern hills.

http://ukasf.weather2day.com/index.php?nam...st-wc&id=19

ok and im sure it'll stay like that through to christmas day with no changes :D

Posted

It will be snowy, windy, rainy, sunny, cold and mild. There we go.

Posted
It will be snowy, windy, rainy, sunny, cold and mild. There we go.
if they can not get the weather right for the next day how can they say what the weather is going to be like in 6 weeks I have never seen such rubbish. :D:D:):D

Posted
if they can not get the weather right for the next day how can they say what the weather is going to be like in 6 weeks I have never seen such rubbish. B) :rolleyes::):doh:

They are only for a bit of fun I think. I will only start to take any notice of them at the start of December at the very earliest, and only if they are consistent, because every single one out there contradicts the others at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its very much the same i think to the UKASF Forecast the other day.

Posted

I just want to add to my last post

Good chance of snow in the north

Forecast headline

Our tenth forecast suggests an increased chance of a white Christmas for parts of the UK, and in northern regions we think the chances are notably higher than average. Our view is there is a significant chance of the UK being covered by a very cold and unstable polar airflow bringing the possibility of snow showers to parts of the north and possibly even southern areas. This type of set-up is more likely to bring snow to coastal districts and the north. For example, the North Yorkshire Moors and much of Scotland would tend to be favoured.

Probabilities

Northern areas of the are considered to have a 50% chance of a white Christmas.

Southern areas of the are considered to have a 42% chance of a white Christmas.

Forecast issued

Update 1, 01/09/2008

Update 2, 05/09/2008

Update 3, 22/09/2008

Update 4, 26/09/2008

Update 5, 04/10/2008

Update 6, 12/10/2008

Update 7, 22/10/2008

Update 8, 28/10/2008

Update 9, 02/11/2008

Update 10, 09/11,2008

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforeca...20forecast.aspx

Posted

Just out of interest does anyone know what the winter long range forecast were back in 1946/47 and 1962/63, sorry if in wrong section but if the met office had difficulty forecasting then you can understand the accurate timing of this years Christmas forecast and whether it will be mild or cold.

Regards

Les

Posted

Can I just say in Stu's defence here, that he is providing some very good information which he updates on a regular basis.

A polite request that perhaps, if we dont believe or dont want to read such long forecasts, we perhaps stop writing the same old stuff about LRF?

Stu - Thanks for the updates. I appreciate them, as i'm sure many others do. Keep up the good work :D

Posted
Can I just say in Stu's defence here, that he is providing some very good information which he updates on a regular basis.

A polite request that perhaps, if we dont believe or dont want to read such long forecasts, we perhaps stop writing the same old stuff about LRF?

Stu - Thanks for the updates. I appreciate them, as i'm sure many others do. Keep up the good work :D

well, i think back in the 40s they hadnt really established a forecast for a week in advance let alone what the winter would be like. they hadnt the use of such great computers, so a lot of it was really done by observations and lateral thinking.

Posted
Just out of interest does anyone know what the winter long range forecast were back in 1946/47 and 1962/63, sorry if in wrong section but if the met office had difficulty forecasting then you can understand the accurate timing of this years Christmas forecast and whether it will be mild or cold.

Regards

Les

the long range in 1947 was two days ahead and in 1962-63 possibly 2-3 days ahead but rarely any further. No such things as computers then, empirical forecasting was the only thing available,(similar events over many years observations and the probability then of the same), once a forecaster had manually drawn surface and upper air charts and used basic meteorology from UK Met Training School, as it was in those days, to produce a 'gridded' 1000-500mb-msl chart as a guide to where the major lows and highs might be in 24 hours!

Edited by johnholmes