Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 08

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

seems ridiculous when FI is a week away, this is nearly 2 months away, not a clue of xmas synoptic yet

Posted

I know I keep saying this, but perhaps i'll put it differently.

FI, as far as I am aware, is a term created actually on Net-Wx (at least that is the first time I ever caem across it - You should stick a trademark next to it Paul).

What I dont get, is why some seem to always say "Its in FI", when (1) The magical time frame for FI varies from person to person, and (2) It adds nothing to the discussion?

Perhaps if we dont have anything constructive to say, perhaps we shouldnt say anything at all.

For those that always state FI Charts, can I ask a question when you write those comments. What does it add to the discussion? What kind of responses do you expect back?

Please delete if off topics, or perhaps we could start a thread to discuss the use of FI labelling.

Posted

metcheck has said the same thing for Kent (10%) for the last 2 months, and coincidentally the same thing for West Sussex (30%). My guess is they haven't bothered updating yet and won't probably update it until Christmas Day appears in the GFS model? :lol:

Posted

I want to just add to this

hmm

Snow Forecast Issued: 2008-10-30 23:19:00

Next update: 2008-11-04 14:00:00

Regions Affected

The UK

Synopsis

The Christmas period remains a fairly mild and wet one. Atlantic LOW pressure systems are forecast to dominate, bringing northwesterly winds. Therefore, unsettled conditions are currently expected for much of the country on Christmas Day, with bands of rain or showers in places. The driest conditions are expected to be in the east. Snow is currently likely to be restricted to higher ground in Scotland, and elsewhere unlikely. Temperatures are forecast to range from 3-7C in the North, and 7-10C in the South, perhaps peaking at 12C in the Southwest. In general, a mild and wet Christmas is expected, with snow confined to the mountain peaks of Scotland.

http://ukasf.weather2day.com/index.php?nam...st-wc&id=15

post-449-1225446988_thumb.png

Posted

Here are typical odds if you fancy putting your cash where your predictions are ....

http://www.online-betting-guide.co.uk/white-christmas.htm

But don't give up the day job.

Posted
Here are typical odds if you fancy putting your cash where your predictions are ....

http://www.online-betting-guide.co.uk/white-christmas.htm

But don't give up the day job.

Considering we're in October those are very poor odds.

I would of expected London to have been around 20/1 at the moment and if the bookies were giving these odds I would fo had a bet.

Posted
Would have thought you'd be better off saving the money for your heating bills?!

haha i think all this white christmas forecasting is a lot of guessing. theweatheroutlook goes for a significant chance of a white christmas, ukasf goes for a significantly low chance of a white christmas. noone knows...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Christmas 2008 will be the coldest whitest for years IMO :)

Recession+cold winter=discontent :(

My long shot is the volcano in the Aleutians that went off in August, causing a very very slight dissipation of the suns warming effect on Earth.

I think it will be a good cold winter, normally that would effect the population in a blitz spirit sort of way. This time it may not be quite so straightforward. We are too complicated now.

Not being patronizing but I think anybody under about 35 is in for a slight shock. (sorry, slight ramp there)

Russ :lol:

If it is not properly cold this winter, then I am not playing anymore :(

Posted
Christmas 2008 will be the coldest whitest for years IMO :)

Recession+cold winter=discontent :(

My long shot is the volcano in the Aleutians that went off in August, causing a very very slight dissipation of the suns warming effect on Earth.

I think it will be a good cold winter, normally that would effect the population in a blitz spirit sort of way. This time it may not be quite so straightforward. We are too complicated now.

Not being patronizing but I think anybody under about 35 is in for a slight shock. (sorry, slight ramp there)

Russ :lol:

If it is not properly cold this winter, then I am not playing anymore :(

under 35? explain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
under 35? explain

Because if your under 35 you wont remember the 12ft of snow on the ground for 6 months of the year type stuff , we use to have when I was a lad :(

Any forcast above two weeks is fun to read but has no serious merit for a country such as ours on the margin

Posted

mmmm

Fair chance of a White Christmas

Forecast headline

Our ninth forecast suggests a very slightly decreased chance of a white Christmas for parts of the UK. We currently think there is still a significant chance of the UK being covered by a very cold polar airflow bringing the possibility of snow to northern and even southern areas. This type of set-up is more likely to bring snow to coastal districts and the north. For example, the North Yorkshire Moors and much of Scotland would tend to be favoured.

Probabilities

Northern areas of the are considered to have a 44% chance of a white Christmas.

Southern areas of the are considered to have a 40% chance of a white Christmas.

Forecast issued

Update 1, 01/09/2008

Update 2, 05/09/2008

Update 3, 22/09/2008

Update 4, 26/09/2008

Update 5, 04/10/2008

Update 6, 12/10/2008

Update 7, 22/10/2008

Update 8, 28/10/2008

Update 9, 02/11/2008

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforeca...20forecast.aspx

Edited by Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The figure of 44% is almost certainly just plucked out of the air :doh:

Posted
The figure of 44% is almost certainly just plucked out of the air :doh:

nah, i think we should remain optimistic, and think at least theweatheroutlook and weatheronline have got the right idea. a lot of chopping and changing to come methinks, fingers crossed for the better :doh: .