Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Mondy

Posted
That's about perfect for snow.

I mean proper snow, not this nonsense we're seeing being reported 'darn sarf'

:)

T air down to 0C and T dew -5.8C now, c'mon where's the snow!

I haven't seen "real" snow in years.

Posted

Yes, it's all a bit worrying when the BBC uses words like 'extreme' and 'severe' in relation to some snow, when the reality is that we live on an island on the edge of the Atlantic and can expect snow, ice, frost and gales as a matter of course during our winter months.

'Extreme' to me would mean lying snow depths of around two to three feet. That would be pretty extreme.

'Severe' would be temperatures down to -20C or more, not the BBC's overnight -2C that its getting uptight about on its news website.

Anyway, I suppose it's all relative. If you've hardly seen snow from one winter to the next then any snow event is bound to be 'extreme'.

Right, bring on the snow....

Posted
Yes, it's all a bit worrying when the BBC uses words like 'extreme' and 'severe' in relation to some snow, when the reality is that we live on an island on the edge of the Atlantic and can expect snow, ice, frost and gales as a matter of course during our winter months.

'Extreme' to me would mean lying snow depths of around two to three feet. That would be pretty extreme.

'Severe' would be temperatures down to -20C or more, not the BBC's overnight -2C that its getting uptight about on its news website.

Anyway, I suppose it's all relative. If you've hardly seen snow from one winter to the next then any snow event is bound to be 'extreme'.

Right, bring on the snow....

Oh but what about the people who have steep driveways and therefore need their 4x4s to get in and out the house?

If they didn't use such strong langauge someone would complain. Tempretures were much lower last month and no one blinked an eye.

I think it's the child in everyone wanting snow.

God you think we ramp bad the met office must be in a flurry at the moment.

Posted

Latest forecast on N24 was disappointing to say the least.

He said "little in the way of snow for Scotland tonight and tomorrow and any showers that do show up will probably be of rain or sleet near the coast".

Great. :doh:

Posted

He said "little in the way of snow for Scotland tonight and tomorrow and any showers that do show up will probably be of rain or sleet near the coast".

Has anyone got a snow machine? We could turn it on and fool them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Hi cwpiper

Don't have access to NW radar details, which site are you using?

Would be great to know if we can expect anything here in eastern lowlands/Fife tonight?

Ta

Karen

i'm using the nw radar which currently shows a large bank of light snow east of us

its currently snowing lightly here and it started about an hour and a half ago

hopefully it will give a decent covering by tomorrow

as for east lothian it looks like the snow will be less persistant but there should still be some snow about. check outside

try meteogroup as they do quite an in depth radar every 15 minutes and do precipitation radar quite far out to sea

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weathe...ed_kingdom.html

hah, we have snow now

been goin for an hour and a half

the beeb obviously doesn't check the netweather radar :D

Posted
Oh but what about the people who have steep driveways and therefore need their 4x4s to get in and out the house?

If they didn't use such strong langauge someone would complain. Tempretures were much lower last month and no one blinked an eye.

I think it's the child in everyone wanting snow.

God you think we ramp bad the met office must be in a flurry at the moment.

Exactly Sammie! I'll stick my neck out and suggest that the reason it's getting such wide publicity as a 'major' event is because it's currently happening in regions which have forgotten that these weather events do actually happen in the British Isles.

Gritters on the roads, flurries of snow, Arctic blasts, blizzards, minus temperatures - this is what happens in winter. It's the mincing hysteria in some quarters that I struggle to comprehend.

I love a big snow event like everyone else (there's a child in us all) but there needs to be a sense of proportion about these 'extreme' and 'severe' snow events.

Okay, off to get my sledge from the attic! It's getting colder outside.....woohoo.

Posted
Snow here now!!! Didnt think it would get here!

Did it last long, was it heavy?

I went to bed early and can't really be bothered getting up to have a look unless it's decent!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just joined up after a few years of reading in the background....

Great forum - really enjoy a good cold/snow ramp.

Prospects look great to me; have not seen such a synoptic set up in quite a long time.

Currently 0 C, and finally snowing very lightly here. Will have trouble sleeping tonight - difficult to resist sticking my head out the window...

Posted
Exactly Sammie! I'll stick my neck out and suggest that the reason it's getting such wide publicity as a 'major' event is because it's currently happening in regions which have forgotten that these weather events do actually happen in the British Isles.

Gritters on the roads, flurries of snow, Arctic blasts, blizzards, minus temperatures - this is what happens in winter. It's the mincing hysteria in some quarters that I struggle to comprehend.

I love a big snow event like everyone else (there's a child in us all) but there needs to be a sense of proportion about these 'extreme' and 'severe' snow events.

Okay, off to get my sledge from the attic! It's getting colder outside.....woohoo.

I love snow, I dreamed last night we had 10 meters of snow and we couldn't get to class and I didn't have to go hand in my essay ahaha.

I guess a lot of people forget that weather other than rain happens on our lovely Isles! Though I do not understand how huge cities like New York and Moscow can deal with a huge dumping of snow with a sense of excitement without the massive hysteria, come an inch or two here and everyone freaks out. Madness.

I even got a phone call from my mother over in the west coast asking if she should go stock up in food because they might be snowed in. <_<

Posted

Perfect. That should be pinned somewhere on here so more members read it. Of course, if you were to paste that into the London/SE England thread, you'd get heckled..

Posted
I love this.... an 'extreme' snow event.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7863900.stm

I work with a guy who as a kid used to go to school cross country on skis some winters (from the Ballater area). Now that's the kind of snow we want:)

Man I remember new year a few years ago, had a huge dumping in Helensburgh, there were clubbers out in Glasgow that got stranded and they had to open the clubs back up so they had someone warm and the police were running around trying to find emergency blankets and crap. THAT is what I'd call a wee bit extreme. That however is a light dusting.

Wow sarcasm on full blast today Sammie.

Posted
Man I remember new year a few years ago, had a huge dumping in Helensburgh, there were clubbers out in Glasgow that got stranded and they had to open the clubs back up so they had someone warm and the police were running around trying to find emergency blankets and crap. THAT is what I'd call a wee bit extreme. That however is a light dusting.

Wow sarcasm on full blast today Sammie.

Ha! Anyway, anyone in Scotland actually got any snow? Even a light dusting? Heck, one snowflake would be good to hear about.

Posted
Ha! Anyway, anyone in Scotland actually got any snow? Even a light dusting? Heck, one snowflake would be good to hear about.

No but I got pelted in the face by these strange little mini!hail around 5 while trying to battle my way to the wastegrounds that is Sainsburys.

Posted

I can confirm that I have an extreme dusting of snow grains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

i'm using the nw radar which currently shows a large bank of light snow east of us

its currently snowing lightly here and it started about an hour and a half ago

hopefully it will give a decent covering by tomorrow

as for east lothian it looks like the snow will be less persistant but there should still be some snow about. check outside

try meteogroup as they do quite an in depth radar every 15 minutes and do precipitation radar quite far out to sea

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weathe...ed_kingdom.html

Great thanks for the link.

Been checking outside but nothing so far!! just a wee covering would be nice!!

Posted
I can confirm that I have an extreme dusting of snow grains.

Way to go, Hiya!!! Nice one. Long may your snow grains be extreme :cray:

Posted
Did it last long, was it heavy?

I went to bed early and can't really be bothered getting up to have a look unless it's decent!

Had a few flakes of snow here as well :)