Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&W Yorks, Northern & North East England

Posted
Wow! what a countryfile forecast,a potential for up to 40cm of snow for the pennine areas

Well, never say "never", but I'd be very surprised if we got that much, level. Even the blizzards of 1979 didn't produce that much in a single fall, and on two occasions it snowed for more than 24 hours non-stop, two of the very few occasions in my life when "blizzard" was not rampant hyperbole.

I'd guesstimate anything from 5-15cm at low levels, with the chance of this turning to rain below 200m or so; maybe 15-20cm on higher ground.

Posted
Hi skywatcher,try this link.Vaisala ICE :Traffic Weather

There looks to be a few around leeds. :mellow:

Thanks, Cloud. There genuinely doesn't seem to be a weather station near to here. I think this has to be my project for the coming year. Until then I'll rely on head out of window.

Posted
Please let it be true mate :lol:

Not much of an event as it turns out.... :mellow:

post-5156-1233518861_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1233519033_thumb.jpg

Posted
Nothing here.....we just keep having very light snow showers

Yup, just had a light snow grainy type of shower just now, i noticed now looking outside we are seeing a few signs of patchy cumulus clouds, hopefully this trend will continue as we gain more instability.

Bit of a quiet night so far but hopefully things will pick up soon.

Posted
You'll have to keep me posted Over the hills - I work at the secondary school, hoping we may get a snow day :)

Will do!

Stopeed again now but there is hopefully more to come :)

Posted
A desperate plea...does anyone know of a weather station for NW Leeds/Headingly area? Unbelievably for a university town, I can't find one.

The airport (LBA) or Bingley are the closest stations with near real time feeds.

Posted
Yup, just had a light snow grainy type of shower just now, i noticed now looking outside we are seeing a few signs of patchy cumulus clouds, hopefully this trend will continue as we gain more instability.

Bit of a quiet night so far but hopefully things will pick up soon.

I hope things pick up kids have the sledges in the hall way for school run in the morning

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Well, never say "never", but I'd be very surprised if we got that much, level. Even the blizzards of 1979 didn't produce that much in a single fall, and on two occasions it snowed for more than 24 hours non-stop, two of the very few occasions in my life when "blizzard" was not rampant hyperbole.

I'd guesstimate anything from 5-15cm at low levels, with the chance of this turning to rain below 200m or so; maybe 15-20cm on higher ground.

Yep I'd agree with that:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsgfsmeur.html

12-22mm of accumulated precipitation for most of Yorkshire, and the ratio is unlikely to be better than 1mm:1cm

Posted
The airport (LBA) or Bingley are the closest stations with near real time feeds.

Thank you, StratosF. I'm right on the edge of Leeds here, by a large country park. Local knowledge, backed up by experience this winter, suggests a strong local effect. I have both LBA and Bingley but they don't accurately reflect elevation and conditions here. I think it's time to invest in a weather station of my own. But I appreciate the post. Many thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather
Not a flake here yet, I cant believe it, going by the radar we should be getting it big time :doh:

Im getting it ive got a dusting on all surfaces

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Still nothing here yet, ]still lampost watching] looks like its going to be a long night

nigel

Posted
Still nothing here yet, ]still lampost watching] looks like its going to be a long night

nigel

Just getting short lived powder snow showers. Hopefully later they will become more intense and continuous

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather
It has been hailing, then snowing here. Light dusting, but if there is more overnight expect the usual road chao tomorrow AM!

i told you it will be white not wet lol :doh:

Posted

It really does look now like convection is picking up N of the Wash. There is clump of more classic snow showers moving into the East Riding as we speak and these extend from York over to the coast. These will be more hit-and-miss, but they look more powerful. Very little W of the Pennines although this was to be expected.

The Thames streamer is really picking up though, it's going to be superb for the SE.

Posted

Just had a light dusting here which has laid, probably not quite as much as what Paul's had, but that's tally up being lower down than Aycliffe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Iv got my eye on that noticable clump of cloud of the north coast of holland, yorkshire is right in the firing line!

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=3...;soort=satradar

Been watching that myself.The snow so far seems to 'pop up' just before landfall but this has been growing since it 'fell into the North Sea'.....and keeps on growing!

Posted

Heavy shower heading up Nidderdale; there is also another more general area of lighter snow over lower Wharfedale and into Cravendale and the W Bradford area (as well as W Leeds).

E of the A1 is where the real interest is - there is a gap now over the Vale of York, but after that and more specifically over the E Riding some quite beefy showers are making their way inland.

And yes, by the time that area of instability over N Holland reaches our shores those showers could be huge, perhaps even the classic km high "stacked" showers that are currently making their way down the Thames Valley.

Either way, the best is yet to come.

Posted
When are these big showers due? Im getting impatient now since the SE is a whiteout!!

I'd say within the next 2 hours those heavier showers will start to make their way into more central areas. Having said that, unless you live E of York I expect any really decent snow will only arrive with the weather front, where there is the potential for 15cm+ away from low ground :cray:

Posted

Some heavier showers beginning to pack into NE England now, expect these to become heavier and more frequent from midnight onwards. :cray:

Enjoy it folks!