Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted

Great snow in Biggin Hill Temps at -3.5c so Heavy powder snow now falling 4cm maybe but its only7pm anyone else in Outer South London getting this. We are high on the North Downs at 650ft . What big Kid I am but were are only 16miles from Central London but this could be the best snow since Feb 91 :clap:

Posted

In between showers here atm, radar still looking good :clap: can anyone say roughly when the warmer sector will show up tomorrow down here in South Essex please . :cold:

thanks,

Steve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
Hello Callie!

If you've finished your shift, best get home now as Friday Street is starting to fill up!

If not, you'll have a quiet night with the 'punters'! :clap:

Aha, you must work at fri st farm then callie i take it?!

Posted
I think 25cms is a little bit of a ramp from the BBC. There will be showers around but I don't see any merging to give longer spells of snow over the SE. The showers where they hit though throughout the night will deposit snow leading to accumulations of 10-12cms.

From previous expereince of a snow streamer I can well believe that sort of total is quite reachable locally, I remember getting 10cms in 4hrs of a snow streamer before so its more then reachable given we have a front coming up as well....

Next 6hrs will see things really getting going for the SE...and not just near the Thames either I suspect.

Posted

Just driven back from Seaford on the East Sussex coast to London, the snow is very hit and miss a lot on the outskirts of Brighton hardly any on the coast, A27 closed at Hollingbury due to accident. Snowing again to the North of Gatwick back to Redhill then only sugar coating from Redhill to Coulsdon and Couldsdon back to South London its been snowing moderalty for @45mins everything is now white.

So very hit and miss so far.

Edited by HighPressure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder and lightning
16_4_42.gif Snowing lightly here in Hertford Hertfordshire. Theres a covering of snow on cars, paths and roads. Light dusting of snow on grass. :clap:

Posted

Just driven (very slowly) from Westerham to Tonbridge (West Kent) via A21 there appears to be a 'snow streamer' affecting a 2 mile wide coridor around Hildenborough, heavy persistent snow, blizzard conditions almost a complete 'white-out' temperature -2C Brilliant! not seen anything like this here since 1991

Posted
I think 25cms is a little bit of a ramp from the BBC. There will be showers around but I don't see any merging to give longer spells of snow over the SE. The showers where they hit though throughout the night will deposit snow leading to accumulations of 10-12cms.

I'm usually fairly conservative about these things but i tell you we are now experiencing the most intense snowfall i have seen since i moved to London 10 years ago. if it continues like it is doing now, tonight and tomorrow there will be 30 cms here in London. Its unlikely to , of course, but thats the possibility.

There was 20 level centimetres in St James Park in London on 9 Feb 1991. I think tomorrow could, could, posibly see that beaten.

There's a hell of a wind behind it too - quite scary to see this in the Capital.

Posted
From previous expereince of a snow streamer I can well believe that sort of total is quite reachable locally, I remember getting 10cms in 4hrs of a snow streamer before so its more then reachable given we have a front coming up as well....

Next 6hrs will see things really getting going for the SE...and not just near the Thames either I suspect.

Yes I will agree actually seeing the radar and showers realling pepping up now. Dont be surprised to see some dark reds on the meto radar as the night goes on.

Posted
What a day it's been for the brave gritting team. We have been gritting since last night and staff are starting to get a little tired with vehicles occasionally breaking down. Salt stock is reducing at an alarming rate but I think we should be ok for the rest of the season. We have used over 1000 tons since November 2008.

We are expecting several inches of snow over night into tomorrow., hence the severe weather warning the MetO have realised for the SE including London :)

Gritting teams will be deployed all night into tomorrow. Believe this or not, but the whole team are really excited as some have not seen this extreme snowfall before or over 10 years.

Just a few cm's of snow here right now. :)

My hubby just rang.. He is out with the gritters and is sitting under Marble arch enjoying a nice cuppa from the flask. They have all been booked into a hotel so they can get a nap after midnight and then go onto the next rotation.

We have a light dusting here in Ewell village...hopefully more to come :)

Posted
The only issue for SE Essex though is because the Thames snow streamer tends to beef up showers further west down the Thames, though thats not to say you shouldn't get a good wallop.

As I keep saying this is still only the start of the main event, instablity and forcing are still both increasing from the east over the next 6hrs.

Paul S, watch for thundersnow soon!!

Cheers.

Will also be looking for Thundersnow!

Posted

For you guys who remember 1991, imagine how I feel? I can't really remember it, but I do remember a lot lying of snow one year. So this will be my first major snow event, if I we get it here, on that note here is hoping we will get something significant around here!!

Posted
I think some people on here would benefit from paying a months subs for the NW radar it is spot on and great fun watching the showers come in

I did exactly that last night and I'm so glad I did! Its so worth it! Watching the radar is great!

Posted

Meteox do have a zoom facility. So, if you are broke like me, you can watch them come in on that!

Not nearly as good as netwether, but better than the meto.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

The kids half an hour ago, South London (Nr Croydon).

post-5592-1233516754_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Our footsteps from half an hour ago on the decking are now covered, its chucking it down out there!!!! My kids never really have experienced what we used to get when I was a kid. Its amazing though how my daughters friends on MSN are already saying that their school is shut tomorrow rofl x

Posted

Snow showers really ramping up in the eastern Thames, could well see a pretty long spell of snowfall along the thames Estuary heading into London as well it appears eventually.

Personally I'm watching the showers in Southern Kent right now.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

No snow for awhile now , such a shame :)