Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Looking at the radar it does appear that the northwards movement of our current band is slowing, and intensity is on the wain. However, the more intensive band sitting at present over southern Scotland seems to be intensifying and on the move south - I don't suppose it's likely to get as far south as us is it ?

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Looking at the radar it does appear that the northwards movement of our current band is slowing, and intensity is on the wain. However, the more intensive band sitting at present over southern Scotland seems to be intensifying and on the move south - I don't suppose it's likely to get as far south as us is it ?

The front is definitely stalling and moving slightly W.

As for the precip over Scotland - it's a lot heavier than forecast although the models do have it moving S and reaching here around midnight. The good news is, it's a lot further S already, as well as heavier.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Snowing very lightly here now right on the North-East coast at

this rate might get 0.1cm in about 8 hrs time... :D

Posted
As for the precip over Scotland - it's a lot heavier than forecast although the models do have it moving S and reaching here around midnight. The good news is, it's a lot further S already, as well as heavier.

That is good news :D

Just had a quick cheeky glance at the models and radar whilst I'm at work, not certain how much snow we will get from that front, if it goes slowly, I reckon about 6-7 hours before it reaches Durham-ish area if it doesn't slow further, It'll make some interesting lamppost watching late tonight all the same anyway:)

Think it maybe too much to ask for it to get to this area in the next hour or so, then stall directly over us? :)

Fingers crossed anyway, if we don't get much there is always a bit of hope for the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

It's been snowing here since 9:15 although it's never been particularly heavy. That said, there's about 2cm of new snow and it's more than I expected so I happy :D !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Very light snow here now.

There's around a 1.5cm of fresh snow on the car and probably more on existing snow.

Webcam is on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Hi Rollo,

Definitely more chance from the North. Looks like band is very slow moving and decreasing in intensity. Also temperature is getting marginal for me now +1.3C (from -6C overnight). However still a reasonable chance of something. I have had a few flurries in the last hour from the band to the south that has now stopped.

John

Temperature increased really fast in the last 20 mins now 1.9C. Has this band been falling as snow further north?

John

Posted
Still awaiting the first flakes-looks to me as we have more chance from the band about 50 miles to the North.

Most definitely, so long as it doesn't dissipate too much by the time it gets here :rolleyes:

Everything crossed.

Still 0.6C in Newton Aycliffe, with light snow.

Edited by kev2281

Posted
Hi Rollo,

Definitely more chance from the North. Looks like band is very slow moving and decreasing in intensity. Also temperature is getting marginal for me now +1.3C (from -6C overnight). However still a reasonable chance of something. I have had a few flurries in the last hour from the band to the south that has now stopped.

John

Temperature increased really fast in the last 20 mins now 1.9C. Has this band been falling as snow further north?

John

Hi john, nope-we have had nothing at all here 8 miles North of Newcastle-the sun has now been out for the last 30 minutes so I reckon the southern band is pivoting,the northern band is only moving very slowly southwards westwards so if it arrives here it will take some time,of course it may get a move on as winds are expected to increase from the NE I believe.

Posted

Has been snowing on and off for much of the morning, here. Unfortuntely, it's been the sleety stuff, and my lying snow is beginning to

disappear, fast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The band to the north is moving painfully slowly. I think it will loose intensity if it reaches Newcastle area.

Posted
Has been snowing on and off for much of the morning, here. Unfortuntely, it's been the sleety stuff, and my lying snow is beginning to

disappear, fast.

Hi Brian - how much snow have you got now?

Look at this picture of my back garden taken a couple of hours ago :doh::doh::(

post-5260-1233840311_thumb.jpg

Posted

Snowing lightly in South Shields, has been for about an hour. Nothing on the ground though! When I say lightly Imean that if it was sticking we would have 1mm by 8pm lol.

Just watch, the band moving from the North will disintegrate before reaching us (as per forecast) and the Southern band won't get here either (well, not enough to whiten the ground), so not much to get excited about. This is the third winter in a row when there has been a lot more snow in Southern areas than up here. Fingers crossed, we have 3 weeks of winter left and then hopefully a snowy early Spring. I want to go sledging etc with the kids and don't want to wait 'til next year !!

Karl

Posted

What's it looking like for the weekend in the Darlington/Newcastle area? I've heard mixed reports of the "will it snow? saying 100% chance" and the MetO saying not very likely??

Posted
The band to the north is moving painfully slowly. I think it will loose intensity if it reaches Newcastle area.

Yeah, i think the band will fizzle out by the time it reaches here i'm afraid, thats what the models are predicting it would do sadly but we shall see because sometims surprises can occur.

Had some light snow here from the band from the South, flakes were so small, the ground is not even damp. However the PPN is further North and East than first predicted by the models so goes to show its a case of radar watching from now on.

Posted
Hi Brian - how much snow have you got now?

Look at this picture of my back garden taken a couple of hours ago :mellow: :o :o

post-5260-1233840311_thumb.jpg

Not much at all now, Dave, unfortunately - I'd say around 3cms, perhaps a little more.

You seem to be holding onto you snow quite nicely, going by that picture :)

The snow / sleet appears to be turning to rain

Posted

Snowing properly here too - decent sized flakes this time.

My local radio station has just mentioned that heavy Snow is expected, in our region, for the next 30 minutes

Posted

The snowband in the north of Northumberland does not appear to be making any southwards progress at all at this momnt in time although we do have some strato-cumulus moving in from the NE at this moment.

Posted

Snow in north Teesside all gone. It was just a dusting on frozen ground and melted when the sun came out. It did look promising at first but temps rose.