IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted

Been having heavy fine grains of snow for 3 hours now

they have put a fine coating on everything

still plenty of snow left from last night and today

no rain as yet

Posted

Just watched the 20:30 forecast on news 24, and it still says we should be getting a dumping :(

As today goes though, it`s been pretty cool in my part of Leeds, but i can understand the frustrations of those with nothing/very little.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Watching the meto radar run, it looks as if the ppn is loosing intensity.

Unless there's something moving in overnight to warrant the extreme warning, looks to me like Jan 1995 remains unbeaten still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
Watching the meto radar run, it looks as if the ppn is loosing intensity.

Unless there's something moving in overnight to warrant the extreme warning, looks to me like Jan 1995 remains unbeaten still.

Yep, I'm inclined to agree with you! Temp outside has risen and the snow has given way to sleety grains. I'm disappointed to say the least - this was shaping up to be fab but just feel deflated now after all the hype on BBC... :(

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Slightly heavier here now, moderate snow and around 13cm at a guess; last time I measured it was 12. Temps at 0c and steady, nothing sleety in the offering. No signs of a dumping unless you hit the heavy precip S of the Humber.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
Quite.

Hardly an 'event' for this part of the north-east in my view.

The N.Sea has certainly seen to that. Wait till we get the NEly later in the week :(

Posted
Quite.

Hardly an 'event' for this part of the north-east in my view.

We should sue the Met Office for emotional damage.

I normally don't believe a word they say but even I was convinced that we were in for a good shoeing tonight. I was thinking of how deep the snow would be in the morning, I told the kids that this would be special....

Yes I knew it may turn to rain in the morning at lower levels, but all the snow that was gonna fall in the 12 hours beforehand....

What an absolute crock of crap. Raining already, no heavy, persistant precipitation to speak of, how do I explain this one away?

For gods sake, its 1.9º now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Wow what a day, Normanton had loads of snow, but its a bit dissapointing now. Just waiting for the snow grains to turn into rain :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

On the plus side, I can work on the bike on Wednesday if all the snow goes.....

Posted

Conditions have remained the same here for the last 2 or 3 hours with at best,moderate snow which has added about an inch to the existing cover.

The wind is still strong and is blowing the snow around,the only thing missing is some heavier ppn.

Nothing outstanding on the latest radar apart from that blob south of yorkshire.

Posted
We should sue the Met Office for emotional damage.

I normally don't believe a word they say but even I was convinced that we were in for a good shoeing tonight. I was thinking of how deep the snow would be in the morning, I told the kids that this would be special....

Yes I knew it may turn to rain in the morning at lower levels, but all the snow that was gonna fall in the 12 hours beforehand....

What an absolute crock of crap. Raining already, no heavy, persistant precipitation to speak of, how do I explain this one away?

For gods sake, its 1.9º now.

Didn't the METO warnings say for 200 meters upwards?

Then again! They did say "a further 5 to 10cm likely at lower levels before gradually turning to rain"; to paraphrase it for our region. I never believed that prediction, neither did I forecast it meself.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

http://www.meteox.de/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3...;soort=loop1uur

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?dat...&map=Europe

So, if we run the top one first (3hr run) we can see a plume running up from the med. Ends up just entering benelux before the end.

Now run the second one.

You can see that that 'plume' is running up the east side of the depression and ,from watching our own UK rainfall radars, we can see where the airmass is swinging around over the country at the moment. Do we think that that 'plume' is moving fast enough to be a bother to us or will it still be over Holland by tomorrow ,a.m.

If it was summer I'd be waiting for thunderstorms.......

Posted
Didn't the METO warnings say for 200 meters upwards?

Then again! They did say "a further 5 to 10cm likely at lower levels before gradually turning to rain"; to paraphrase it for our region. I never believed that prediction, neither did I forecast it meself.

Initially the warnings of Snowmageddon had no altitude mentions. All that was mentioned was heavy snow, perhaps turning to rain on the East coast later.

Posted
Is there much there still? Although its lightly snowing here there seems to be a bit of a thaw

Still coming down fairly heavily now, not quite as dry as last night but temp has dropped from earlier and everything still settling well

Posted
http://www.meteox.de/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3...;soort=loop1uur

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?dat...&map=Europe

So, if we run the top one first (3hr run) we can see a plume running up from the med. Ends up just entering benelux before the end.

Now run the second one.

You can see that that 'plume' is running up the east side of the depression and ,from watching our own UK rainfall radars, we can see where the airmass is swinging around over the country at the moment. Do we think that that 'plume' is moving fast enough to be a bother to us or will it still be over Holland by tomorrow ,a.m.

If it was summer I'd be waiting for thunderstorms.......

The moisture influx on the eastern flank of the shortwave is slowly being reduced as the system is set to gradually contract with a separate independent gyre forming over western France and developing NE; and the UK system centred with a more closed-circulation over SW UK (at T12). This will push the peripheral precip band NE across Europe and away from the UK along with the plume of WAA.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Initially the warnings of Snowmageddon had no altitude mentions. All that was mentioned was heavy snow, perhaps turning to rain on the East coast later.

Just had a 1/2 hour restbite from the slight stuff, all was quiete. Then the lights in the distance drew dim. Its started again quite fine snow though. You know, the sort that doesnt seem to do owt at all..... Probably got approx 6 to 8 inches outside.

post-5156-1233608835_thumb.jpg