Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
Just been out

Changed to sleet / quite heavy still though and when standing on the snow it has become quite slushy

Lots of dripping going on and snow sliding of things

I think that is it now but I have have seen my 1st snow in 7 years and enjoyed building a snowmonster with my 4 year old lad this evening, finished with about 4"

Happy days :lol:

Was certainly fun while it lasted. Not quite like i remember when i was about 5 because it used to last longer but i suppose this will be a thing of the past in the next few decades.

Posted

still snowing here,going to bed now,hope it keeps snowing,in for a good run to work lol

Posted

Proper snow here again with some bigger flakes mixed in. :lol:

Where has my avatar gone.? :lol:

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

none event really, too hyped up by the bbc, all the ppn is york area, wheres all that ppn in the west????? bbc might look bad now

Temp here was sitting at 0.3C when it was snowing before, then it started to be rainy/sleety at about 0.5C, now up to 1C so I think that's it for the snow unless things cool down again.

Also I set a new record low temp in my room, which has been without a radiator for 3 years. Last night it got down to 8.4C and today down to 7.3C! :lol:

That's worth a thread in the lounge you know?.....Guess the temp in Marks room....... :lol: I'm certain it will be an addictive winner...in fact.....*buggers off to the lounge*

Posted
Just been out

Changed to sleet / quite heavy still though and when standing on the snow it has become quite slushy

Lots of dripping going on and snow sliding of things

I think that is it now but I have have seen my 1st snow in 7 years and enjoyed building a snowmonster with my 4 year old lad this evening, finished with about 4"

Happy days :lol:

Just popped out miself to see.

No dripping sounds, tyre tracks have all filled in, and footprints, but thats cos its been blowing horizontally from the field.

Posted

Hmm and back to snow again. Snow rain snow rain snow.

The roads are going to be a nightmare when this lot all freezes tomorrow morning.

Posted
Yep that's true, unfortunately we are set to miss it! How much have you got now Brian? We have 15cm outside now with light-moderate snow.

Sorry Dave, ignore my other post. I've just popped outside to do some measuring, and it's more like 8cms now.

It's obviously deeper in other areas, but I'd say that 8cms is fairly accurate

The snow seem to be settling readily now, with no sign of any sleetiness

Posted
A surface ridge is gradually pulling in over NW France which should cut-off the secondary circulation up the eastern periphery of this low which has brought much of the milder air in from up the North Sea. Towards the morning; colder uppers and more conducive dewpoints should move northwards into the NE; albeit this will most likely NOT happen fast enough to drag in better conditions for snow here.

I could be wrong. Please God; please press the fast-forward button!

PP,you are a tease! Are you saying there is a wrapround of colder lowers?

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
I'd say I'm back up to about 5 cms, and it's still snowing heavily

It's a shame you lost so much in the rain, it really ruins the fluffy structure of the snow and literally crumples it :lol:

Still, you are in the beefy area by the looks of things now :lol:

Still very much as it was earlier here, light to moderate snow adding to the 15cm fall so far B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Proper snow here again with some bigger flakes mixed in. :)

Where has my avatar gone.? :lol:

:lol:

Just looks like rain here still, and there's that horrible dripping sound B)

Hopefully i'll see more depth in Consett in the morning. I'm getting a lift in because I broke my wheel on a kurb tonight B)

Temp now 1.1C

EDIT: Oh no Phil what you up to?

Posted
Sorry Dave, ignore my other post. I've just popped outside to do some measuring, and it's more like 8cms now.

It's obviously deeper in other areas, but I'd say that 8cms is fairly accurate

The snow seem to be settling readily now, with no sign of any sleetiness

Nice one! And it looks like you are in for more...

Posted

Could the mild sector passed over us and now and gone?? My temp dropped from -0.3c to -0.4c since 10:49pm and has stayed at -0.4c my dewpoint is -0.7c (dropped 0.1.c at same time as temp dropped) :lol: :lol: B) B) :):):D

Posted

Well I hope the warm air is cut off soon because there looks a good few hours worth of precipitation on the radar and I do not want it to continue raining and melt my snow.

Back up to 2.5º :lol:

Posted

I think the bbc forecast has been fairly accurate, dont know what people are moaning about :lol:

Snowing moderatly here now, with a good covering of 7-10cm (5cm so far tonight.) So 5-10cm on lower ground soes seem quite realistic. And where the snowfall is heavier on higher ground, 30cm should quite easily fall in such a prolonged period of steady snowfall.. I reckon the otley chevin (1000ft) has got 10-15cm so far this evening..

Posted
I think the bbc forecast has been fairly accurate, dont know what people are moaning about :lol:

Snowing moderatly here now, with a good covering of 7-10cm (5cm so far tonight.) So 5-10cm on lower ground soes seem quite realistic. And where the snowfall is heavier on higher ground, 30cm should quite easily fall in such a prolonged period of steady snowfall.. I reckon the otley chevin (1000ft) has got 10-15cm so far this evening..

I do think the "take action" warning is a bit over the top, it should really be the "be prepared" warning as nnothing heavy is likley to hit west Yorkshire, hopefully im proved wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Picked up in intensity here as well, getting very blustery too. The tops will be a mess tomorrow.

Posted
I think the bbc forecast has been fairly accurate, dont know what people are moaning about :rolleyes:

Fact is that they forecast way more precip than there has been. Now that is perhaps understandable as the GFS showed something a lot more potent, BUT I and others came on here at 4pm saying things were going pear-shaped. It was obvious there was less stuff about. And yet there we were at an 8pm forecast listening to 20-30cm above 200m - there has been nothing like that anywhere in N Yorks (yet, although I can't see it tbh).

The problem for me was the fact that they refused to look at the radar and ramped on regardless.

They also said "risk to life" which was ridiculous.

Edited by Yeti

Posted
I do think the "take action" warning is a bit over the top, it should really be the "be prepared" warning as nnothing heavy is likley to hit west Yorkshire, hopefully im proved wrong!

Yes I agree that the 'red' warning is a little far fetched at the moment, but we still have a good 3-6 hours snowfall to come, with the snowfall becoming slowly heavier..

Posted
I think the bbc forecast has been fairly accurate, dont know what people are moaning about :rolleyes:

People are moaning because it has been raining all night, and delivered 0cm snow, so no, the bbc forecast has not been fairly accurate at all, in many locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Yes I agree that the 'red' warning is a little far fetched at the moment, but we still have a good 3-6 hours snowfall to come, with the snowfall becoming slowly heavier..

not for these parts

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
Could the mild sector passed over us and now and gone?? My temp dropped from -0.3c to -0.4c since 10:49pm and has stayed at -0.4c my dewpoint is -0.7c (dropped 0.1.c at same time as temp dropped) :rolleyes::(:(:D:D:D:D

Thats just heavier precipitation, the warm sector wont get this far east.

I'm dissapointed, while the BBC did forecast the position of the front effectively, its the snow equivelent of drizzle, sticks to everything, but you need an hours worth for 1cm, precipitation has intensified over north and east Yorkshire though, so i'm hopeful this will continue.

Also, Arriva buses were called back to the depo at 8pm stranding me in Leeds, however the roads in and out, past the ring road were frankly appaling.

Posted
Fact is that they forecast way more precip than there has been. Now that is perhaps understandable as the GFS showed something a lot more potent, BUT I and others came on here at 4pm saying things were going pear-shaped. It was obvious there was less stuff about. And yet there we were at an 8pm forecast listening to 20-30cm above 200m - there has been nothing like that anywhere in N Yorks (yet, although I can't see it tbh).

The problem for me was the fact that they refused to look at the radar and ramped on regardless.

They also said "risk to life" which was ridiculous.

Hmm maybe thats because there either expecting it to intensify significantly in the earlier hours or because its such a persistent spell of snow?? Or maybe your right and theyve just got it wrong.. :(

I still think its too early to come to a conclusion though. our snow is verging on moderate to heavy now, so who knows :rolleyes: