Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Cymru And South West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
A few flurries of snow/hail/sleet, heaviest have been to the SE of you see the radar.

Right now there's a sleety / graupelly flurry with sun shining.

Oh I see. In fact I can see some sort of showers clouds moving to the east now but apart from that just blue sky and the temperature has risen to a tropical 3.5C. Just out of interest, I do remember the 26th-27th Feb 2004 snowfall very well as a boy early on in secondary school but had no camera then. Do you have many pictures of the event at hand?

Michael

Posted
lol

I need a thaw to earn some money this week before the BIG ONE on Thursday!

:lol:

there's a big chance now that I'll only have two days pay this week.

now THAT'S a bummer! :huh:

Yeah, your right as my missus is home with our little one and not at work. I have only just made it in...bummer indeed. But our 4 year old is loving it!

Posted
What a flash and a bang, you beat me to it Chrissy! I was outside clearing some ice off of the swimming pool, nearly damn well fell in.

What a mix we are having today, the snow, then the rain which started melting it, then sleet, then hail and now a huge flash of lightning and a very loud crack of thunder. Yehhhheeeee. Our kind of weather.

I just heard/saw that over in Canford Heath. Thundersleet or something!

Posted
Yeah, your right as my missus is home with our little one and not at work. I have only just made it in...bummer indeed. But our 4 year old is loving it!

yeah, I'm glad for the kids. Now they know what a REALLY heavy snowfall is like.

I'm sure my daughter thinks I'm a bare faced liar when I tell her about 78 and 82. :huh:

Posted
Just to report we have has had lightning and thunder along with heavy rain/sleet/hail ... I thought there may be some convection in these clouds! :huh:

I said that to my hubby when i was out walking ... there seemd to be a lot of towers going up, thought it was going to go bang somewhere :lol: ..

shame it wasnt over me i just missed that shower by an inch.. prob 5 miles

wow they have caught a water spout on camera of lands end .. on bbc 24 hit st just ... ??

kaz x

Edited by kaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

More thunder here... looks like we might get a bit more before the end of the day!

Posted

metcheck.com has interesting forecasts for Thursday and Friday... Hmmm. I wonder... Could it, will it????

Posted

ok another quick up date for - Thursday

Have looked at few random places and here are details as of now

GFS Essembles operational

Cardiff percipitation 13mm ( massive if snow) x by 6-10 for snow depth

850 temp of -7

avg temp below 0

Brecon and Powys

Percipitation 7mm

850 temp -8

avg temp below 0

Devon

850 temp -7 Snow marginal

percipitation 6mm

avg temp above 0 mostly

Shows Snow likely southwales North,

Things are fairly likely to change from this but its good to see this at this stage. They are going to all be out by a margin so nothing is set in stone. Currently each model shows improvement and i will update graphically each time there is a downgrade or upgrade.

Personally i think there will be a upgrade but thats just a gut feeling. I will give by unbiased opinion as i see the data change.

Remember this is GFS ( Gods forecast system) its not the only model and picks up trends but the track and timing of this will make huge difference. UKMO see it slightly better if graphics on bbc are to believed. They show sleet and rain in Southern areas of Southwest England snow further North. IE North Devon & Bristol.

Elevation will certainly help where marginal

This is still 36 - 48 hours away and alot can change

Posted

What??? I go away from the forum for just a few hours and a blizzard dares to sneak up on us for Thursday! :huh: OMG! is it going to be really bad, worse than the S.E???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
whiteout yippeee!

The sun's just gone in again, this time behind your culprit cloud by the looks of it. Wind picking up a bit after being calm for about an hour.

Posted
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl
  • Location: Chepstow - Where The Wye Meets The Severn ... about 0m asl

all the snow melted by 11:00 am

here :huh:

nice when it was here though :lol: would love some tonight

Posted

Showers very potent but scattered in the east of Wales, Centre of low still sending bands of showers out so some places may do ok this evening but ice will be fairly widespread. looks like Newport may have something looking a bit thundery right now.

Posted

Showers very potent but scattered in the east of Wales, Centre of low still sending bands of showers out so some places may do ok this evening but ice will be fairly widespread. looks like Newport may have something looking a bit thundery right now.

Posted
Looking at the charts if they stay the same would mean lots of snow for many parts particularly Devon and Somerset and maybe Dorset could be interesting,however we all know how quickly this can change so an open mind is required!!As i see it there could be fronts near to our region for 24 hours or more midnight Weds to sometime early Fri and we would be on the correct side of these fronts ATM :doh:

Also the meto tends to overplay events, prime example last night snow event for yorkshire, "take action" warning not necessary, although LEEDS AND BRAFORD Airport had 28cm of snow on the runway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Would that not imply the warning was neccessary?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

There's a stream of very heavy showers feeding up through Lyme bay, brushing Torbay, & heading towards the east devon/dorset coast, probably from sidmouth to bridport...Gfs is showing them as snow...Can any member in those areas confirm?

post-4149-1233676093_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

We had quite a heavy sleety shower 25 mins ago here in poole and there is now lots of slush on the roads etc