Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Brr it's bloomin cold tonight! Just wondering if we're going to get some showers through the Cheshire gap tonight, the 6:30pm weather report seemed to think so but we'll see. Hopefully we'll wake up to a dusting tomorrow.

Fingers crossed LoL :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
Brr it's bloomin cold tonight! Just wondering if we're going to get some showers through the Cheshire gap tonight, the 6:30pm weather report seemed to think so but we'll see. Hopefully we'll wake up to a dusting tomorrow.

Unless things change this will be the next chance of snow for some if not most of the NW:

ukprec.png

Sunday afternoon from around 3pm ish and may possibly last untill 9pm ish. The only problem is 18z charts show milder uppers (T850's) following quickly behind the band of ppn and also dewpoints raising up above 0c so it could well turn to rain from 6pm onwards.

However, I totally disregard 18z charts and if previous charts were correct then this band would probably remain as snow before dieing out around 9pm sunday night.

Cannot see anything between now and sunday developing though. :D

Posted
quiet in the Northwest tonight.

not surpising considering the hype followed by letdown rollercoaster much of the region has endured in the last week.

even in Pennine areas

the way our luck in being part of the worst winter for a generation is going at present, there is more chance of my beloved Burnley still having two trips to Wembley and winning the pair.

I have missed all the hype and letdown I think. Seriously big falls were not forecast for your area or mine, I am not sure why you are so disheartened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Monday/Tuesday night is also looking interesting, if the low moves slightly further north than currently progged on the GFS, there could be some heavy prolonged snowfall right through until morning, that is a big IF though.

Edited by James M

Posted
Monday/Tuesday night is also looking interesting, if the low moves slightly further north than currently progged on the GFS, there could be some heavy prolonged snowfall right through until morning, that is a big IF though.

It really wouldn't take much for that low to be slightly further north, I've been looking at that. There has been a tendancy in recent days for low pressure systems to be progged wrongly at even short time scales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
It really wouldn't take much for that low to be slightly further north, I've been looking at that. There has been a tendancy in recent days for low pressure systems to be progged wrongly at even short time scales.

Yeah that's true, I think it's pointless to look at the model output as it would come down to nowcasting for a system like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Defonatly looking more interesting for most of next week dependant on the ppn which is starting to look good for us. The warm t850's dont really last all that long even on the 18z and the back edge of the ppn looks to be lingering enough for the next lot of colder air to catch up which certainly could prolongue the snow. Ensembles have also supported the colder air staying with right through to tuesday but even tuesday brings more possibilites of snow in the southern areas of the north west. I hope to god that ppn on tuesdays moves more north between now and then :wub:

One things certain in my eyes and thats that every chart that comes out now including ensembles is prolonging this cold spell. Good news.

Posted

Parts of West and North Wales getting heavy Snow Showers ATM

Typical LoL I am about 25 Miles to far EAST ATM :lol:

These showers were meant to be going through the Cheshire Gap LoL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

just had a heavy hail shower and its all gone white, but it will melt away with the temperature at 3C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
temp 2.3C

Dew Point -1C

Windchill -1C

Not exactly has cold as I would have expected it to be, that cold air needs to get a move on lol

Dry outside and no snow or even rain.

Just shows don't it, Im 5-7 miles from you and because im not near the mersey it's 0.3c outside. The cold air aint arrived yet. it will fall to around minus 3 overnight :)

BRING ON SOME SNOW!

sadly we got 6inches last sunday, Rained after it :(waa -Crys-

Edited by Hancock

Posted

Would someone be able to check radar for me cw8

Wales getting Hammered ATM With heavy Snow Showers.

Posted

-3c in Manchester with clear skies. I've just noticed that the nearby Canal (Piccadilly basin) has started to freeze! The last time this happened was in early January.

Quite a few showers have cropped up on the north Wales coast and the northwesterly wind should feed some to the extreme west and southwest of the region. I am too far east to be affected.

Karyo

Posted

Temps risen slightly here in Stockport , was -4.4 an hour ago now gone up to -3.7....meto radar showing a few showers flirting around North Wales , can't really see them reaching here though.

Posted

The slight differences in temperatures will be caused by intermitent cloud cover causing fluctuations, app minus 2 deg.C here.

There will be an overnight frost - which helps when any rainbands come in over the next few days.

Follwing a brief analysis tonight my confidence of a 'major snow event' for the north-west has decreased slightly. The potential has laways been there but I have a bad feeling we are going to get let down again.

Edited by Hot*Snow

Posted

Woke up to a very light dusting this morning that has settled on the very hard frost. Going be icy out there this morning with the patches of snow still lying. Currently minus five, brrrrr.

Posted

Couldnt tell you what the exact temp here is because my station does not go below 0c for some odd reason lol, but heres how it looks this morning....

post-7665-1233995875_thumb.jpg

RE: Sundays event. Without getting everybodies hopes up.. Tomorrows event still looking ok, and as far as the region as a whole is concerned its looking better for all compaired to mondays snow event especially those in the north of the region around the cumbria area which could see a pasting. The bulk of the intense ppn seems to want to head SE through wales. That said its possible for most of the NW to see accumilations of sorts.

The above is subject to changes between now and tommorrow. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
The slight differences in temperatures will be caused by intermitent cloud cover causing fluctuations, app minus 2 deg.C here.

There will be an overnight frost - which helps when any rainbands come in over the next few days.

Follwing a brief analysis tonight my confidence of a 'major snow event' for the north-west has decreased slightly. The potential has laways been there but I have a bad feeling we are going to get let down again.

Agree H*S

Saw the news 24 weather earlier and it showed much potential for a decent fall of snow tomorrow afternoon/evening.

However we have been here before and i still feel that we miss out on the action again.

Can't see snow not falling with forecast temperatures being sufficiently low but i think the amount will be minimal to say the least.

Possibly more in our part of the region with altitude enhancing the precipitaion but even here nothing to cause many problems.

I could be wrong however and we may wake up to a fall great enough to remember in years to come.

Posted
Couldnt tell you what the exact temp here is because my station does not go below 0c for some odd reason lol, but heres how it looks this morning....

RE: Sundays event. Without getting everybodies hopes up.. Tomorrows event still looking ok, and as far as the region as a whole is concerned its looking better for all compaired to mondays snow event especially those in the north of the region around the cumbria area which could see a pasting. The bulk of the intense ppn seems to want to head SE through wales. That said its possible for most of the NW to see accumilations of sorts.

The met ofice have changed their forecast from heavy snow for tomorrow for me to light rain and a bit of sleet. Not sure what has prompted this.

Edited by snowingtequila

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Temperature here got down to -6.8c but seemed to fluctuate during the night.

It has risen quite sharply since daylight and now stands at -0.8c.

During the last hour or so patchy cloud has moved in which has probably helped the rise.

Can't see us getting anything much in the way of snow from the cloud as we seem to usually miss showers from a Northerly but i live in hope!

Still a few inches of snow on the grass if it wishes to add to it.

Posted
The met ofice have changed their forecast from heavy snow for tomorrow for me to light rain and a bit of sleet. Not sure what has prompted this.

My god that damned 06z GFS has ripped my last post to shreds in one foul swoop. Precip is weaker on that chart and yeah the ppn is again coming in with warm air. then as it reaches the london area it gains intesity. The only conselation for me is that those darn sarf are gonna get a huge soaking if the latest charts verify.

Mind you I did say its subject to change. :o

Ill be surprised if it doesnt atleast start of as snow :o lol.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Just read through recent posts and watched News24 forecast earlier. I must admit that I always thought the best chance for snow in these parts and further east in the nw too would be from a western frontal system coming up against the residing cold. Not looking too clever for anything major, but the major snow of Feb 6th-7th 1996, (and no, I'm not saying a repeat is on the cards), the front from the west was expected to push through quickly and mildness to win hands down. That didn't happen, so who knows, this could be better than expected. Please feel free to bring down any false hopes this post might raise, as I do sometimes live in a hopecasting world! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Lots of hail and rain showers last night, annoying partly because the dewpoint just wouldnt go below 0C when the showers came in!

Minimum last night +1.2C :)

Posted

Met Office advisory has just been updated and now includes more of the uk with the northern extent running into southern Scotland and the southern edge now covering most of the Midlands .

The amount of snow forecast has also been increased slightly although i must add, 10cm is hardly "The Day After Tomorrow" stuff.Geographically speaking our region is, for once bang centre of the action rather than on the edge, or as been the case lately, just beyond the edge.

It will be interesting to see what we can achieve from this set up.

Please, please no downgrades.

Posted
Met Office advisory has just been updated and now includes more of the uk with the northern extent running into southern Scotland and the southern edge now covering most of the Midlands .

The amount of snow forecast has also been increased slightly although i must add, 10cm is hardly "The Day After Tomorrow" stuff.Geographically speaking our region is, for once bang centre of the action rather than on the edge, or as been the case lately, just beyond the edge.

It will be interesting to see what we can achieve from this set up.

Please, please no downgrades.

Do you think we might get something this afternoon from those showers coming down from the north, the cloud in Bacup keeps coming and going, but no real thaw in evidence, its still thick on the ground.

Shadowfax