Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
The top of the band in the West/Central Mids is moving ENE.. very close to brushing my location now... 10 miles south of me as opposed to 40 miles an hour ago.

so do you think that we have got this for while yet mate?????????

Posted
so do you think that we have got this for while yet mate?????????

In terms of any additional Northwards movement, this is likely to cease very quickly. It will then slowly sink back SE but it will indeed be a very slow process.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
In terms of any additional Northwards movement, this is likely to cease very quickly. It will then slowly sink back SE but it will indeed be a very slow process.

thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

This snow band reminds me of an ex-girlfriend......a flirt and total tease, no matter how hard I try, its not going to give me what I want......lol.......There's heavy snow literally just a few kilometres away as the radar shows.........Oh, well, the radar loop suggests that its reached its northerly limit now....A wonderful pasting though for lots of people this morning! :)

post-4149-1233906872_thumb.png

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
Im in Walsall, close to you.

We have nothing! Just yesterdays snow and a dusting from this morning..

Yeah not much more down here, just a light extra covering, not much over half an inch probably.

Overall this cold snap has been great, as been sledging twice and even built an igloo!

But at the same time, a tinge of disappointment as we haven't reached more than 5 inches deep. It's twice now (earlier this week, and night before last) we were forecast up to a foot and never got more than 2 inches from PPN bands that skirted round us, and then last night the PPN looked like it couldn't fail us yet it's hardly delivered.

Still, we're lucky generally because we often get a bit from each snow event, and it accumulates without melting too much. (Whereas the places that get more than us from any one event don't necessarily have the consistent snow/cold over time) So overall not complaining!! :)

Posted

I agree I've studied the satalite loop and the low to the south which is currently located over the channel islands, has slowed very much in the last few hours allowing the fronts to push further north.

At the moment there is a big battle of lows, the one in scotland and the one in the channel islands, so we could see rather alot of snow before the channel low is shunted east.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

light snow started here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Yeah not much more down here, just a light extra covering, not much over half an inch probably.

Overall this cold snap has been great, as been sledging twice and even built an igloo!

But at the same time, a tinge of disappointment as we haven't reached more than 5 inches deep. It's twice now (earlier this week, and night before last) we were forecast up to a foot and never got more than 2 inches from PPN bands that skirted round us, and then last night the PPN looked like it couldn't fail us yet it's hardly delivered.

Still, we're lucky generally because we often get a bit from each snow event, and it accumulates without melting too much. (Whereas the places that get more than us from any one event don't necessarily have the consistent snow/cold over time) So overall not complaining!! :)

yeah same with me ive had 2 decent lots of snow mon and thurs, snow on sunday afternoon, ive had a sprinkling last night with yesterdays snow still there, been a very good cold spell, weekend looking cold but dry, will see the coldest nights this feb, i just feel i may have seen the last of the snow, no more over weekend

Posted

Witney - Moderate Snow...

Full observation:

Surface Wind 030/11 kts

Vis - 2000m

Weather - Snow

Air Temp - -2°C

Snow for two consecutive days.

Lived all over this country from Thurso to Plymouth and have never known this to happen. Had every other day, but not this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNNY

Had about 1-2" fresh snow fall overnight, In the last 3hrs another 4" STILL SNOWING VERY HEAVY!!!!

The running total for me over the last 4 days is 16-18 inches thank god some of it melted yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Very heavy snow here at 0c

Funny before dawn it was 0.9c and marginal

Not now

This is getting worse then yesterday which gave us 6 inches

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Good morning cornflake snowflake watchers.

A bit of a disappointment overnight but in the last hour or so from my home retrospectively.

1, Rear view.

2, Front view.

3, Rear view in opening daylight.

Phil. :D

post-8209-1233907442_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1233907530_thumb.jpg

post-8209-1233907768_thumb.jpg

Posted
Witney - Moderate Snow...

Full observation:

Surface Wind 030/11 kts

Vis - 2000m

Weather - Snow

Air Temp - -2°C

Snow for two consecutive days.

Lived all over this country from Thurso to Plymouth and have never known this to happen. Had every other day, but not this.

Just tried to get to Witney from Swindon. Don't know why I bothered. Highworth looked to be impassable as it says it's high on a hill and no one was getting up it.

Oh well, at least I managed to get back home. Taking an enforced holiday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Heavy snow now but very small flakes. Temp is 0.5c and the all important dewpoint is -1.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

It didn't thaw here much yesterday, so the overnight snow has increased the lying depth to 5". It's still snowing now and the radar suggests that it may continue for a little while longer yet. Carol Kirkwood's weather map at 8.15 suggests it will have stopped here by 9.00 - can't see it myself.

Hope those of you who have to go out today keep safe.

Edited by Snowmoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Heavy snow in Evesham again. Really coming down! Well the forecast was a difficult one to call and I know how hard forecasting can be , especially in these situations, good for some and not so good for others. I dont think I will be looking at the computer models with any sense of accuracy past 48hours as things are subject to change ,very quickly, just like last nights and todays weather.....enjoy the snow! :D

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted

[slightly shamefaced]

Just following on from my last post, I went out to measure the snow depth and we have reached our 6 inches of snow (15cm) after all! I thought we'd only got half an inch overnight but that was all that seemed to have appeared outside the window, but it looks like that was to do with heat from the tiles preventing the light snow from accumulating.

So anyway, now looks like we got an extra 4 cm or 1.5 inches overnight. (including light/moderate snow of last half hour). Temp currently -1.6C. I think the altitude has really helped us build up snow over last few days - hardly been any thaw except for briefly during Wed in the sunshine. Definitely not complaining now, as reached threshold I like to think of as pasting! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Snow band is still moving north over us and I believe is supposed to then sink south so there could be a reasonable amount to come during today ?

Flakes now a little larger and covering cleared paths

Posted
Snow band is still moving north over us and I believe is supposed to then sink south so there could be a reasonable amount to come during today ?

Flakes now a little larger and covering cleared paths

Indeed jimben, expect the front to move no further north after the next half hour or so... at which point it will stall, then slowly sink SE'wards.