Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

Another dissapointing day here, had the lightest of dustings here which has now melted with a few cm left from monday/tuesday in unmelted parts. Proper gutting this week has been for me because there has been such great potential as we have saw with parts of london, oxfordshire, yorkshire getting a foot of snow and many other areas having decent falls. But i just never seemed to be in the right place, this week. Sunday could bring some snow but looks too marginal to me for prolonged snow. Hopefuly there will be many more snow events this winter but i fear this week was the best period of snow in the UK .. and we won't see such widespread events in the coming weeks.

Tom

Posted
The BBC did seem to have the Cheshire Gap effect going on tomorrow morning at around 6am and affecting places like here. :D

I haven't had chance to look at the 12z yet, thank you for the useful posts by the way (seen as I do have to travel to work tomorrow). We usually do well from streamers from the Cheshire Gap if not we should see some of the white stuff surely ... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
The BBC did seem to have the Cheshire Gap effect going on tomorrow morning at around 6am and affecting places like here. :D

Yes 'Brickfielder' was taling about this possibility in another thread (model output I think)......I was up by Whitchurch, Shrops earlier, and I could see a few Cb's in the distance to the North West...Sunday's still looking goof for a spell of frontal snow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Another dissapointing day here, had the lightest of dustings here which has now melted with a few cm left from monday/tuesday in unmelted parts. Proper gutting this week has been for me because there has been such great potential as we have saw with parts of london, oxfordshire, yorkshire getting a foot of snow and many other areas having decent falls. But i just never seemed to be in the right place, this week. Sunday could bring some snow but looks too marginal to me for prolonged snow. Hopefuly there will be many more snow events this winter but i fear this week was the best period of snow in the UK .. and we won't see such widespread events in the coming weeks.

Tom

Yep, the forecasts havent learnt from there complete and utter disgraceful forecasts by saying we could have 10 inches by the end of Sunday according to the Express and Star Dudley and North Worcestershire Edition! :D

Its so unfair!

The charts are better for us on Sunday now...not so marginal as earlier. Some Heavy Snow for a time at least is possible. If the charts continue as they are then much of it could be Snow on Sunday.

I haven't had chance to look at the 12z yet, thank you for the useful posts by the way (seen as I do have to travel to work tomorrow). We usually do well from streamers from the Cheshire Gap if not we should see some of the white stuff surely ... :)

Yep, our local paper (Express and Star) says Scattered Snow showers from the Cheshire Gap tonight and tomorrow. :)

We will get nothing i know it just because everything always misses here by a mile or two anyway...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Tom

We havent done too bad Tom, certainly better than last winter...All I remember from last winter was a couple of cheshire gap streamers, and one night of snow just before easter

Posted

No more snow for Dorset today, all precip has head off to the SE. I think thats the most amount of snow ive seen in one week in my life! That will probably be it now for Dorset. Bring on the summer! im bored of this cold snowy weather now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Yes 'Brickfielder' was taling about this possibility in another thread (model output I think)......I was up by Whitchurch, Shrops earlier, and I could see a few Cb's in the distance to the North West...Sunday's still looking goof for a spell of frontal snow :)

Excellent, when that gets going we can often be in business! Often Eastern Shropshire, Western Staffordshire, Wolverhampton, Bromsgrove and Dudley boroughs often do well from this setup. :D

Do you know the link to Brickfielder's post?

Posted
Excellent, when that gets going we can often be in business! Often Eastern Shropshire, Western Staffordshire, Wolverhampton, Bromsgrove and Dudley boroughs often do well from this setup. :rolleyes:

Do you know the link to Brickfielder's post?

Linky

Re. sundays possible frontal snow, here's a couple of snow risk charts from the latest Gfs12z run.....it looks like a close call if the models pan out!

post-4149-1233938629_thumb.png

post-4149-1233938669_thumb.png

post-4149-1233938718_thumb.png

Posted
Linky

Re. sundays possible frontal snow, here's a couple of snow risk charts from the latest Gfs12z run.....it looks like a close call if the models pan out!

post-4149-1233938629_thumb.png

post-4149-1233938669_thumb.png

post-4149-1233938718_thumb.png

Look how the charts automatically show the snow going around the West Midlands region-i think we are OK for the snow from this run. :rolleyes:

Posted
We havent done too bad Tom, certainly better than last winter...All I remember from last winter was a couple of cheshire gap streamers, and one night of snow just before easter

Hiya AJ now I totaly agree with you on this

cher

x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

So already 3-4 good snow events for the Midlands in the past week and now it looks like another one for Sunday.

Got to keep an eye on Monday night into Tuesday aswell when the low pressure clips the South coast.

Posted
Hiya AJ now I totaly agree with you on this

cher

x

Heelo Cher :) , how much snow did you get today?....We just missed the main action and had a dusting for our troubles, but from what my drivers told me this morning, solihull, Moseley and areas just south of Brum got their fair share

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
So already 3-4 good snow events for the Midlands in the past week and now it looks like another one for Sunday.

Got to keep an eye on Monday night into Tuesday aswell when the low pressure clips the South coast.

Yes, that could be very interesting, I wonder if it might be a repeat performance of last night?

Posted

omg night watch again lol why cant it fall in the daytime when people are awake lmao

hi andy

cher

x

I`m afraid someone will always miss the best/worst of it in the UK, even in the 80`s some missed out but there was no internet forums for people to come on and moan, overall thats how you have to judge it it's been one of the best wintry weeks for a long time and with the next two night bone chillingly cold with more possible snow events early next week the future looks blue not orange :clap:

Skies have only just cleared here so no sun to melt any snow, temps are plummeting :)

Posted
Heelo Cher :) , how much snow did you get today?....We just missed the main action and had a dusting for our troubles, but from what my drivers told me this morning, solihull, Moseley and areas just south of Brum got their fair share

Well I got a shock we had 15cms in the garden this morning but that is from all week and the thaw has hardly set in still have loads lol

temps here are now 0oc

cher

x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Yes, that could be very interesting, I wonder if it might be a repeat performance of last night?

It would probably be better for the West Midlands than last night was. I'm not sure how far South the snow line will be, it will be clearer tomorrow :)

omg night watch again lol why cant it fall in the daytime when people are awake lmao

hi andy

cher

x

Haha that is true! It keeps happening at night :clap:

Posted
Well I got a shock we had 15cms in the garden this morning but that is from all week and the thaw has hardly set in still have loads lol

temps here are now 0oc

cher

x

Its just about melted away here.....the kids managed to build a couple of snowmen yesterday though.....We've named them 'Saucy Sid' and 'Sassy Sue'...lol

Posted
Its just about melted away here.....the kids managed to build a couple of snowmen yesterday though.....We've named them 'Saucy Sid' and 'Sassy Sue'...lol

bless them tell them they can build little sassy's and saucy's on sunday , mon fingers crossed lol

cher

x

Posted

Are all the charts looking towards a snow event for the midlands on Sunday/Monday? If so, is it looking any good? :lol: :cold:

Edited by JamieUK

Posted
Are all the charts looking towards a snow event for the midlands on Sunday/Monday? If so, is it looking any good? :winky: :unknw:

Well the 12z was better than the 6z so were going in the right direction!

Anywhere North of the M4 Should be OK.

Posted

Anywhere North of the M4 Should be OK.

I use the UKMO charts (but i don't totally ignore the GFS ones, just have more Faith in the UKMO), they seem recently to be more reliable in the short term than the GFS, especially as it kept predicting rain and sleet for both events and it turned out to be snow!

Looking ok for you guys, and me further North

post-6181-1233942735_thumb.png

post-6181-1233942745_thumb.png

post-6181-1233942755_thumb.png

Posted
I use the UKMO charts (but i don't totally ignore the GFS ones, just have more Faith in the UKMO), they seem recently to be more reliable in the short term than the GFS, especially as it kept predicting rain and sleet for both events and it turned out to be snow!

Looking ok for you guys, and me further North

post-6181-1233942735_thumb.png

post-6181-1233942745_thumb.png

post-6181-1233942755_thumb.png

Thanks Mark, it does look good cureently for some good snowfalls! :winky:

For our location and further North, there may only be a little rain or sleet on the back edge. :unknw:

Posted

M4 Should be OK.

Ok cheers, music to my ears haha, erm, current temp here is 0.1C and falling. Much of the snow has melted away from roads and footpaths and turned slushy and icy, leaving very dangerous and slippery conditions, although on the top of my shed and in a 'part' of my back garden theres a thick blanket, 5-6cm deep and drift against the fence of 8cm deep if only it stuck everywhere else lol :rolleyes: , looking forward...once again... to sunday/mondays event, I just hope temps stay low this time for snow to definatly be a factor, instead of turning to a type of sleet and drizzly rain...