Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
Forecasters got it horribly wrong for here and its always elsewhere that sees the best, never here.

Sunday may see something but i bet by tomorrow it will be forecast as rain. Utter disgrace.

whats your views on a 'cold end to feb'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
whats your views on a 'cold end to feb'

I think it will be slightly milder towards the end of February.

Luckily im going skiing from next Thursday for 1 week so at least i will see some 'snow' there. Compared to others a few miels east here we have had Nothing. So Unfair.

Posted

Good evening people, I wonder if I could ask a favour?

The other night someone posted a link for a site showing radar images of the advancing precipitation which was fantastic and I spent half the night watching the snow pass by.

Does anyone remember the link and if so could you let me know what the address was?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Good evening people, I wonder if I could ask a favour?

The other night someone posted a link for a site showing radar images of the advancing precipitation which was fantastic and I spent half the night watching the snow pass by.

Does anyone remember the link and if so could you let me know what the address was?

www.meteox.co.uk ?

www.raintoday.co.uk ?

Im awaiting the 18z GFS Run now...probably a downgrade for us while everywhere can expect 10 foot drifts. :wallbash:

Posted
www.meteox.co.uk ?

www.raintoday.co.uk ?

Im awaiting the 18z GFS Run now...probably a downgrade for us while everywhere can expect 10 foot drifts. :wallbash:

Thanks Blizzards, Meteox was the one! :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

what about the low for mon-tues? 18z has it further north, but bbc and meto and metcheck just had the precip skimming southern areas, i feel it will be marginal if it is further north but maybe more snow for NW midlands? or just S and SW again

Posted
what about the low for mon-tues? 18z has it further north, but bbc and meto and metcheck just had the precip skimming southern areas, i feel it will be marginal if it is further north but maybe more snow for NW midlands? or just S and SW again

Well the GFS did well for last night and today i thought so maybe it it will be right again but knowing our luck we wont have anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I thought this was a smpw watch thread rather then a whingers corner or that it winter over ?

As far as I can see from the house I can only make out a tiny bit of the main road not covered in Snow. Clear skies and cold a great snow watchers treat

Sorry for those that have missed out but for many its still there to enjoy

Posted
Hmmm BBC say just light snow on Sunday night, i'm not so sure it will be just light if this comes off!

ukprec.png

nothing will come off here i m sure... as its been a scene for dis week..

Posted

Only showers expected tonight and tomorrow are in Wales only north/west more especially not cheshire gap scenario.

There not even making it even this far all dying out, -1.5c now though and cloudy with a light W-NW-ly.

Posted

Ugh, Sunday looks marginal for here again now i think and no showers for us tonight. Such a good cold snap...

Posted
Hmmm BBC say just light snow on Sunday night, i'm not so sure it will be just light if this comes off!

ukprec.png

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO come to mama lol , why is everyone feeling so down omg cheer up we have seen one of the best winters in years and if there is more to come bonus ,im reading -3 on the temps brrrr a real cold night love it ,winters arent just about snow its about the cold snaps as well and i think we have done really well compared to last years rain so cheer up.

now enough of my voice roll on sunday yippppppie lol

cher

x

Posted
WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO come to mama lol , why is everyone feeling so down omg cheer up we have seen one of the best winters in years and if there is more to come bonus ,im reading -3 on the temps brrrr a real cold night love it ,winters arent just about snow its about the cold snaps as well and i think we have done really well compared to last years rain so cheer up.

now enough of my voice roll on sunday yippppppie lol

cher

x

Yhhhhhh your right there lol, grumpy so and so's.......cant wait for sundays snow (Again!! lol) Hope it does pull off something more than just the light stuff :(

Posted
Yhhhhhh your right there lol, grumpy so and so's.......cant wait for sundays snow (Again!! lol) Hope it does pull off something more than just the light stuff :(

If it does Snow i hate the way the BBC just says Light Snow because i think it will be Moderate. It will only be Heavy if it was in the South East-They dont want us to have the fun. :):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Looks we have some showers building up over the wirral, i wonder if they will head down the cheshire gap

Edited by phil b

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

I have a sneaking suspicion Northants may nick Sunday's snow :D

Posted

Some photos from today. Now nudging -5C here, plenty of snow - not really much thaw after todays 7 inches (maybes an inch max) compared to yesterday's 7 inches which we lost about 4 inches of. Undisturbed snow is still in the region of 8 inches, though shrinking a tad as the moisture within it freezes. Out in the fields where I walk the dogs there was over a foot - level - not drifted because there has been little drifting to speak of.

Some pics from today.

I accept that parts of the SW and Wales(???) have been badly affected, but we've had similar amounts here. I think the fact that Northamptonshire is an overlap region between as many as 4 different regional news programmes means that we haven't had the national coverage it perhaps has deserved - given the regional news centres are in Cambridge/Norwich (Anglia/Look East), Nottingham (Central East/East Mids Today), Oxford (South Today), Birmingham (West Mids Today/Central West). I make it ~ 17 inches of snow have fallen here this week in total.

post-503-1233967027_thumb.jpg

post-503-1233967055_thumb.jpg

post-503-1233967079_thumb.jpg

post-503-1233967093_thumb.jpg

post-503-1233967106_thumb.jpg

Posted
I have a sneaking suspicion Northants may nick Sunday's snow :D

Its been good eh! I couldn't believe the amount of snow out in the fields just to the south of me where it hasn't been disturbed and cumulatively less melting from Monday, yesterday - and we didn't really see much melting at all this afternoon. A widespread foot of snow, some 14 inches in places. The rural areas surrounding Rushden like Yelden must have been completely cut off today.

Noted that the BBC seem to think its a weak front moving in on Sunday. With the temperature already down to -5C here tonight, despite the sun tomorrow I think it will be a struggle to get above freezing, though must accept it will melt in the sun a bit. Given that GFS precipitation chart for Sunday, we could be in for further top ups! Where people have bothered to clear their drives after yesterday and today there are piles of snow 3ft high. They will be there for some time methinks.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
Its been good eh! I couldn't believe the amount of snow out in the fields just to the south of me where it hasn't been disturbed and cumulatively less melting from Monday, yesterday - and we didn't really see much melting at all this afternoon. A widespread foot of snow, some 14 inches in places. The rural areas surrounding Rushden like Yelden must have been completely cut off today.

Was a nightmare around here out in the sticks (Moulton) bus stuck in the village couldn't get up Stocks Hill and had to be dug out, snow plough on Kettering Road (A43) and what is becoming the norm of lorries getting into difficulties and blocking roads. A day to remember. Snow totals here very similar to yours. Fingers crossed for Sunday as my snow appetite is still not sated. Tempted to get over to Cold Ashby golf club tomorrow, I hear they are running the ski/sledge lift on the long uphill par 5

Edited by jimben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

-6.4 here now! Incredible and it's 1am, it might reach -7 or -8 by 6am :D My snowman is having a party in the garden, I just saw him :D

Posted
My snowman is having a party in the garden, I just saw him :D

I'll have two of what you having :D

Desktop weather gizmo forecasting snow !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jimben

Posted
Was a nightmare around here out in the sticks (Moulton) bus stuck in the village couldn't get up Stocks Hill and had to be dug out, snow plough on Kettering Road (A43) and what is becoming the norm of lorries getting into difficulties and blocking roads. A day to remember. Snow totals here very similar to yours. Fingers crossed for Sunday as my snow appetite is still not sated. Tempted to get over to Cold Ashby golf club tomorrow, I hear they are running the ski/sledge lift on the long uphill par 5

Next door has a leaky gutter and its empty at the minute - there is a HUGE 3ft iceicle forming! Interesting that all our snow this week has been in what would be considered marginal in the model discussion thread -3 or -4 850s at best. I don't doubt there will be further talk of Sunday's possible event being marginal on that basis, and further events into the beginning of next week. We're doing quite well out of these marginal events. I also disagree with one of the more respected and senior members on here completely ruling out any connection with existing snow cover and poor uppers not having any influence whatsoever in these marginal situations. One thing that is undeniable is that wet snow will lie on existing snow - even the lighter stuff - it won't lie on completely wet unfrozen surfaces. This I think is to extent why we have done so well - holding on to snow cover throughout the week, even if has thawed a bit at times. And being well inland, we've always had favourable dew points!

Edited by mackerel sky