Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The GFS 18Z Seems to bring tomorrows snow risk a bit further South in my opinion or the Precipitation charts do anyway (dont waorry-i dont take them as gospel :D ) but thats good for us anyway and the GFS is alot more sensible for Monday Night by bringing the Northern extent of the precpitation much further South than the last run but it still looks excellent forn the Midlands if it is to be Snow. :D

Posted

Cloud has cleared temps are falling -0.8c :D

I may of underestimated tomorrow as it`s a S wind to start with SE-ly further north, then cooler/colder westerly comes back in, so it may even stay as snow high ground is better off in this situation.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn2417.png

Wow this winter is certainly different very little mild.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn3617.png

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
Today is like certain days March 1995 cold spell

Trouble is now the wind direction has come back from the atlantic side irish sea,temps are going higher same thing happened in february 1991 bitter east wind then less potent cold from the NW,it`s been a less cold version of that so far,upper air wasn`t as cold as then in the first place.

Temps dropping like a stone 0.9c :lol:

I was thinking about March 1995 today while watching the snow disappear funnily enough: remembering how I was so puzzled by how quickly the snow would often melt during that month (although the 2-3 Mar 1995 event not only produced more than this one, it stuck around for longer in sheltered spots). That was only the second time I can remember seeing snow settling in March (have a vague memory of it doing so in March 1987 in S Wales), so I didn't realise that it had a tendency to melt quickly because of the stronger sun.

But in February 1991 it didn't rise above freezing for days, leaving the snow on the ground for over a week; in February 1994 we had a few ice days, the thaw was much slower and snow had no trouble settling during the day; a few other times in February we have had sunny days barely rising above freezing (1996, 2001, 2004): the only time we ever seem to manage or approach an ice day nowadays is under inversion conditions, anticyclonic with Shrewsbury fogbound (while the surrounding hills and beyond are sunny)- the wrong scenario for snowfall.

Posted
Today is like certain days March 1995 cold spell

Trouble is now the wind direction has come back from the atlantic side irish sea,temps are going higher same thing happened in february 1991 bitter east wind then less potent cold from the NW,it`s been a less cold version of that so far,upper air wasn`t as cold as then in the first place.

Temps dropping like a stone 0.9c :lol:

I was thinking about March 1995 today while watching the snow disappear funnily enough: remembering how I was so puzzled by how quickly the snow would often melt during that month (although the 2-3 Mar 1995 event not only produced more than this one, it stuck around for longer in sheltered spots). That was only the second time I can remember seeing snow settling in March (have a vague memory of it doing so in March 1987 in S Wales), so I didn't realise that it had a tendency to melt quickly because of the stronger sun.

But in February 1991 it didn't rise above freezing for days, leaving the snow on the ground for over a week; in February 1994 we had a few ice days, the thaw was much slower and snow had no trouble settling during the day; a few other times in February we have had sunny days barely rising above freezing (1996, 2001, 2004): the only time we ever seem to manage or approach an ice day nowadays is under inversion conditions, anticyclonic with Shrewsbury fogbound (while the surrounding hills and beyond are sunny)- the wrong scenario for snowfall.

Posted

Just looking at february 1994 and that was a better month to this for snowfall and cold yet.

I did record my coldest feb day since feb 14th 1994 which would make this day the 2nd coldest have to go back to 1991 for anything colder. :lol:

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
Just looking at february 1994 and that was a better month to this for snowfall and cold yet.

I did record my coldest feb day since feb 14th 1994 which would make this day the 2nd coldest have to go back to 1991 for anything colder. :lol:

Had a couple of ice days at start of Feb 2006, under calm, dull, misty conditions, which I remember well for feeling really strange because there was no sign of frost anywhere despite midday temps between -1 to -2.

Posted

Absolutely fantastic day today. Quite a bit of a thaw in the town centre, but none really to speak of elsewhere. Lots of people digging out today. More pics out with the dogs today near my house. Your foot doesn't go in, 2 inches of ice at the bottom, 3 inches of very compact snow, then 5 inches of softer stuff on the top.

Becoming a little concerned if we get more. I've been somewhat lazy and haven't driven anywhere since arriving home Wednesday teatime. Did check and defrost the cars tonight, not that I drive them anywhere without some considerable effort with a spade.

Hope you like the pics. If we had mountains, given all the different layers from the 3 separate and significant snowfall events this week, we would be running the risk of avalanches. Just as well its pretty flat.

post-503-1234050575_thumb.jpg

post-503-1234050599_thumb.jpg

post-503-1234050615_thumb.jpg

post-503-1234050634_thumb.jpg

post-503-1234050649_thumb.jpg

post-503-1234050671_thumb.jpg

Posted
Absolutely fantastic day today. Quite a bit of a thaw in the town centre, but none really to speak of elsewhere. Lots of people digging out today. More pics out with the dogs today near my house. Your foot doesn't go in, 2 inches of ice at the bottom, 3 inches of very compact snow, then 5 inches of softer stuff on the top.

Becoming a little concerned if we get more. I've been somewhat lazy and haven't driven anywhere since arriving home Wednesday teatime. Did check and defrost the cars tonight, not that I drive them anywhere without some considerable effort with a spade

Hope you like the pics. If we had mountains, given all the different layers from the 3 separate and significant snowfall events this week, we would be running the risk of avalanches. Just as well its pretty flat.

just showed what ruralities can do for you eh.

Posted

GFS 18z puts the Channel low a bit further South, better news for the Midlands.

Given that early Tuesday's even looks less marginal than the 14 inches we had Thursday/Friday here in Northants, it is becoming a tad concerning. As I say I must make an effort tomorrow to clear as much as possible, in an attempt to get in on Monday morning, irrespective - and keep doing it. Excuses wear thin after a while, but perhaps we will slowly become accustomed to having lots of snow on a regular basis, like our Scandanavian counterparts. Must go answer the door to Al Gore. I was at a conference a few years back and he was the keynote speaker. The only reason he got a standing ovation was because there were no seats.

Now off to warm up the stratosphere and fill up a hot water bottle whilst I'm at it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Latest BBC Charts have us having Snow (hopefully Heavy!) all the way tomorrow with no sleet or rain! :winky:

Posted
Latest BBC Charts have us having Snow (hopefully Heavy!) all the way tomorrow with no sleet or rain! :winky:

hmm BBC... pick a number, divide by ten and your uncle is the queen of sheba... theres your weather!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3572562.stm funniest thing i've seen in a while!

Edited by lobbox

I find it very strange those who said the snow melted in the midlands, i went for a drive in the coutryside and it was still lovely & deep with lots of undisturbed snow covered fields, took lots of great photos while walking in the countryside, in the town area it was all gone apart from bits & pieces and in gardens in the shade it was all there, i think you should go out in the countryside its a different world out there compared to warm urban areas.

Saw lots of snow men still intact and plenty of kids sledging on snow covered hills, very deep it is up on EdgeHill/Burton Dasset area.

Even 1 or 2 miles outside of town it was completely different to the town centre i think too many of you stay in inner cities/inner towns and don't go out to discover the beautiful countryside, its a wonderful winter wonderland out there.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
I find it very strange those who said the snow melted in the midlands, i went for a drive in the coutryside and it was still lovely & deep with lots of undisturbed snow covered fields, took lots of great photos while walking in the countryside, in the town area it was all gone apart from bits & pieces and in gardens in the shade it was all there, i think you should go out in the countryside its a different world out there compared to warm urban areas.

Saw lots of snow men still intact and plenty of kids sledging on snow covered hills, very deep it is up on EdgeHill/Burton Dasset area.

You bet, no thaw at all here !!

-6c last night also & more snow forecast today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not sure about this evenings snow, i watched the red button weather at 8am, absolutely no chance, bbc website and metoffice very promising, why so different

i just hope the bbc i (red button weather) was the furthest out of date, as for monday bbc still has it too far south for snow for me,

Posted
not sure about this evenings snow, i watched the red button weather at 8am, absolutely no chance, bbc website and metoffice very promising, why so different

i just hope the bbc i (red button weather) was the furthest out of date, as for monday bbc still has it too far south for snow for me,

bbc beta can put you out of you misery. it takes you to 3am on tuesday, and shows that rain readily turning to snow, however if some of the forecasts are to go by, stafford might just be too far north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
bbc beta can put you out of you misery. it takes you to 3am on tuesday, and shows that rain readily turning to snow, however if some of the forecasts are to go by, stafford might just be too far north.

yeah that looks good for tonight and tomorrow night, if that comes off ill have 2 more snow events, mon into tues mostly south but ill get some at least, but likely to change

my temp now -0.8C partly cloudy

Posted

glad to be in stoke today so should be seeing quite abit of snow. an inch if im lucky but who knows.

Although the chances of the monday night low moving northwards is increasing with the models, i am still not convinced it will be snow, heavy sleet and wet snow that doesn't stick at best IMO. Anything above 150-200M have the best chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Right then, shall we take bets on how long it takes the band of rain/sleet/snow to be destroyed by the Welsh mountains? B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Latest BBC Charts have us having Snow (hopefully Heavy!) all the way tomorrow with no sleet or rain! B)

I mentioned yesterday that i had a feeling they would change their forecast and say more in the way of snow for Birmingham and it seems they have done that :) I am glad they have because I felt it would be more in the way of snow in Birmingham rather than rain or sleet.

Right then, shall we take bets on how long it takes the band of rain/sleet/snow to be destroyed by the Welsh mountains? B)

I think it will be ok, the only times the Welsh mountains seem to make precip weaker is when it's a trough or a band of showers. When a weather front is sweeping in they don't seem to really kill it off. This is a front so the PPN should still be pretty lively when it hits the Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!
I mentioned yesterday that i had a feeling they would change their forecast and say more in the way of snow for Birmingham and it seems they have done that :) I am glad they have because I felt it would be more in the way of snow in Birmingham rather than rain or sleet.

Do you ever sleep ? B)

Minus one here in Melton and I have my first day off for three weeks. B)

What time is the ppn due to reach us this afternoon ? (sorry not been paying much attention lately !) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Thats for your location

We have had snow on the ground for 6 days now and its still everywhere apart from the main roads

Given the depth of it and the forcast I can see it lasting more then 10 days. Would have to go back I think to Jan 87 or Feb 86 to beat that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
I think it will be ok, the only times the Welsh mountains seem to make precip weaker is when it's a trough or a band of showers. When a weather front is sweeping in they don't seem to really kill it off. This is a front so the PPN should still be pretty lively when it hits the Midlands.

I hope you're right, but the latest Met Office radar doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence if I'm honest.