Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Do you ever sleep ? B)

Minus one here in Melton and I have my first day off for three weeks. B)

What time is the ppn due to reach us this afternoon ? (sorry not been paying much attention lately !) :)

LOL yeh I went bed about 2am and just woke up a minute ago, i'll probably go back sleep about 11am though till 1pm when dinners ready :) I'm good at napping :)

It's -2 here at the moment and I think the PPN will reach Melton between 3-5pm.

I hope you're right, but the latest Met Office radar doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence if I'm honest.

It's supposed to be quite weak and patchy before it hits Wales according to the BBC charts on their website and then it actually peps up as it hits Wales :)

Could happen though, lets wait and see.

Actually they could have a point...

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/run/U12-594.GIF?08-06

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/run/U18-594.GIF?08-06

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
Thats for your location

We have had snow on the ground for 6 days now and its still everywhere apart from the main roads

Given the depth of it and the forcast I can see it lasting more then 10 days. Would have to go back I think to Jan 87 or Feb 86 to beat that

Same here Stew, it's a winter wonderland. Deep snow everywhere, icicles, kids out sledging etc etc. No sign of a thaw, still -2c B) Still can't open my gates properly, lanes outside are barely passable as all the snow is now thick ice.

Posted
It's supposed to be quite weak and patchy before it hits Wales according to the BBC charts on their website and then it actually peps up as it hits Wales :cold:

Could happen though, lets wait and see.

Yep, thats correct. This usually does happen when fronts pass from fron west to east, they tend to "calm" down when passing the irish see and into the North Wales and then usually pep up abit when they hit the west midlands, but when lows come from the south or south west for example the low on monday night the welsh mountains could get a fair bit (if it gets there).

Im actually quite glad that theres precipitaion there in the radar! last night beeb were showing teeny weeny dots scattererd around wales at 12am. LOL :cold:

Posted

LOL i've just looked at the radar and i'm mega surprised how far it's gone! I didn't think the precip would be in that position till around 12-1pm, as this rate it will be in the Midlands by lunchtime :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

BBC forecast looked very promising. I am right on the edge of the snow for Tuesday but I don't care! Just a small budge north and it's game on. Tonight looks good too. Could I possibly have 10 days of snow cover?!

And yes Andy, I have thought that. The BBC forecast just showed the PPN for 3pm where it pretty much is now!

Edited by nick2702

Posted
Hi Nick and Andy. How much snow do you reckon we could get of of this afternoons/evenings fall?

I am hoping to get about an inch or 2, just to top up my current cover really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

the gfs still seem to suggest mon into tues system as just rain, but got the precip well north of the midlands, bbc have it as snow but too far south, i think those 06Z synoptic charts look perfect for the midlands, the mild sector is over S/SE england -5 upper air over midlands but rain? as teits said snow fell at -2C upper air last week

what do you think about mon into tues after 06Z ppl?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

That would do nicely! How much you still got lying on the ground? To be honest it has all but gone here, just really sheltered spots have got minor snow cover left.

Posted

nick what temperature is it there? im getting quite worried now temperature has shot up from -2.6c to 0.9c in an the last hour or so!! :cold:

Posted
the gfs still seem to suggest mon into tues system as just rain, but got the precip well north of the midlands, bbc have it as snow but too far south, i think those 06Z synoptic charts look perfect for the midlands, the mild sector is over S/SE england -5 upper air over midlands but rain? as teits said snow fell at -2C upper air last week

what do you think about mon into tues after 06Z ppl?

Lamp-post watching will be recommended !! I can't see rain falling up here, it's way too cold.

Posted
That would do nicely! How much you still got lying on the ground? To be honest it has all but gone here, just really sheltered spots have got minor snow cover left.

I have still around an inch on the ground away from areas that have permanent sunlight and salty roads.

nick what temperature is it there? im getting quite worried now temperature has shot up from -2.6c to 0.9c in an the last hour or so!! :o

That's something I am concerned about. Less than an hour ago it was below -2c, now it is -0.3c.

Posted

Here is the view out my back garden:

post-7600-1234087118_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wm/...tml?day=1#flash

No change from the METO, must be having a lie-in :o

Indeed - the warning that applies to today hasn't been updated for more than 22 hours now. Hopeless.

Posted
Indeed - the warning that applies to today hasn't been updated for more than 22 hours now. Hopeless.

Read the website. The advisories are updated by 1pm daily.

Posted
Read the website. The advisories are updated by 1pm daily.

People need to know what's happening *now* and in the next few hours - not what they thought would happen 24 hours ago! There must be plenty of people working at the MO, so it's not asking much to update these warnings every few hours to make them more localised and accurate.

Three snow events for the midlands this coming week, later today, tomorrow night and wednesday night(low risk though), tomorrow night looks best and i`m going for some very heavy snowfall in parts of the midlands, don't go out on any high routes tomorrow evening is my advice, conditions could be really bad, i think tomorrow night is being underestimated by many people, with cold air locked in place for a week now, moist atlantic air hitting this airmass and the low pulling away pretty quick pulling down another cold shot will all contribute to snow falling, i just can't see it being rain in warwickshire and surrounding areas, maybe further south.

I think snow will still be around by next weekend in the countryside :o

Edited by Eugene

Posted
People need to know what's happening *now* and in the next few hours - not what they thought would happen 24 hours ago! There must be plenty of people working at the MO, so it's not asking much to update these warnings every few hours to make them more localised and accurate.

This afternoon's event isn't really that big, and inch or 2 at the most, and the band of PPN is rapidly deteoriorating over Wales, so I don't think it really warrants a warning if I'm honest.

Posted

I agree, but those that subscribe to hourly updates (such as local councils and organisations) pay a lot for these 'extra' services. I agree though, it is really bad that their forecasts are hardly ever updated, such as last Thursday night in Devon with the unexpected snow happening on their doorstep!

Although i am pleased to see the maps are now updated twice a day compared to the once a day last year! :cold:

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
This afternoon's event isn't really that big, and inch or 2 at the most, and the band of PPN is rapidly deteoriorating over Wales, so I don't think it really warrants a warning if I'm honest.

We'll have to see what happens - the warning page graphic for Sunday now says "no severe weather" for places where it's actually snowing! If the snow's settling, it's always worthy of a warning IMO.

((P.S. I'm a Baggies fan too - the less said about yesterday the better!))

Posted
We'll have to see what happens - the warning page graphic for Sunday now says "no severe weather" for places where it's actually snowing! If the snow's settling, it's always worthy of a warning IMO.

((P.S. I'm a Baggies fan too - the less said about yesterday the better!))

Yes let's just leave that out! :cold:

I think the Met Office are just playing the waiting game, after a number of big mistakes the past week I am sure they are being ultra cautious.

Posted
Hi Nick and Andy. How much snow do you reckon we could get of of this afternoons/evenings fall?

Well if the whole lot of PPN falls as snow then i'd say maybe an inch or so. Depends on how wet the snow is aswell and how heavy it falls. If it's continious wet light or moderate snow it might only settle on the grass and cars. If your location gets a heavy burst which lasts for 15 minutes or so then it would probably settle on all surfaces and lay down a good base for anymore snow.

Posted
Well if the whole lot of PPN falls as snow then i'd say maybe an inch or so. Depends on how wet the snow is aswell and how heavy it falls. If it's continious wet light or moderate snow it might only settle on the grass and cars. If your location gets a heavy burst which lasts for 15 minutes or so then it would probably settle on all surfaces and lay down a good base for anymore snow.

If there is already snow on the ground then any type of snow should settle fairly easily.

I have just looked at the radar and I wish I hadn't. Drizzle and cloud anyone?

Edited by nick2702