Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Midlands & C Southern England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
Well, this is finally enough to force me to purchase the NW radar for the coming month, I feel it could be very useful indeed!

Some parts of the south Midlands will easily get a foot of snow on Tuesday.

Although im very happy with developments, the temps are a concern, bbc says its only 2c today but i csn say its nearer 5c, the temp needs to come down, the cloud may do that this afternoon and by the time the ppn gets hear this evening should be ok, with the evaporative cooling havin a part also, they say 10cm even tonight on the bbc, also using the word significant, then im sure it will mostly melt during 2morrow where i work in stratford as its very low ground and melts as its settling, but then roll on monday lol!! very exiting! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Going by my new favourite gadget, the PPN is intensifying as rapidly as it deteoriorated! I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't already bought it - only £3.49 for a month!

My only worry is the temperature. I am fast approaching the 5c mark :cold:

Posted
Although im very happy with developments, the temps are a concern, bbc says its only 2c today but i csn say its nearer 5c, the temp needs to come down, the cloud may do that this afternoon and by the time the ppn gets hear this evening should be ok, with the evaporative cooling havin a part also, they say 10cm even tonight on the bbc, also using the word significant, then im sure it will mostly melt during 2morrow where i work in stratford as its very low ground and melts as its settling, but then roll on monday lol!! very exiting! :D

i think 10cm is a tad over the top for tonight if im quite honest. the snow is expected to last only a couple of hours,.

Posted
Going by my new favourite gadget, the PPN is intensifying as rapidly as it deteoriorated! I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't already bought it - only £3.49 for a month!

My only worry is the temperature. I am fast approaching the 5c mark :D

mine has luckily gone down to 2.7c and should continue to do so. However have you noticed that the dewpoints are perfect so it doesn't really matter if the temperture is a little bit high:)

As long as the temperature goes down to about 1c snow should settle

Posted
The precipitation in Wales is intensifying or has intensified a bit now. :D

hello blizzards, my forecast is for upto 10 inches in the south midlands tommorow :D , but unfortunatly worcetershire will be in a pocket of dry weather only recieving 0-1cm of snow.. :D

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
i think 10cm is a tad over the top for tonight if im quite honest. the snow is expected to last only a couple of hours,.

i agree , but thats wot they said, could be if it was heavier nough

Posted
hello blizzards, my forecast is for upto 10 inches in the south midlands tommorow :) , but unfortunatly worcetershire will be in a pocket of dry weather only recieving 0-1cm of snow.. :D

:D you wish Jed, you wish! :D

Posted

i wonder where toonarmy (cher) is? shes usualy jumping and down in these situations.

No wonder this thread is a bit dead atm :D

Posted

To prove my point about suddenly dropping temperatures, it has just happened. The sunshine goes slightly hazy and the temp drops 0.3c very quickly.

Posted

Light now temp isn`t that low yet at 2.5c sticking to ice/snow of course.

But certainly won`t be sticking to roads yet.

Edit:2.1c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
forgot to say that i have had 1 week of lying snow which i have never seen before :D looks like it could be topped up slightly tonight and alot more tomorrow night :D

That will almost certainly be extended to 10 days, and some people in the South Midlands could see their lying snow last for 2 weeks, maybe even more. This is something that us young people have never seen before!

Posted
i wonder where toonarmy (cher) is? shes usualy jumping and down in these situations.

No wonder this thread is a bit dead atm :D

She probably saw the Countryfile forecast and fainted - I know I nearly did! :D

For those who missed it - I can't find anyone who has Youtubed it yet, it should be on iPlayer later not sure what time though :D

Posted
That will almost certainly be extended to 10 days, and some people in the South Midlands could see their lying snow last for 2 weeks, maybe even more. This is something that us young people have never seen before!

:spiteful: :lol: 'Tis a mere frost, when I was a nipper............................etc etc

Posted

i know, this winter has truly been remarkable, with plenty of cold weather and been seasonal throughout. so far, 18cm lying snow in all, but that beats many winters, especially throughout the noughties. i am sceptical of those who talk about this winter being a taste of things to come. i just think its a one off cold winter.

Posted
:spiteful: :lol: 'Tis a mere frost, when I was a nipper............................etc etc

That's a good thing about not seeing proper snow before, when we get a decent fall we think it is great! Our expectations are very low compared to people who saw winters in the 60s, 70s or 80s.

Anyway, cloud now thickening all the time, and temp has dropped considerably to 4.1c, probably won't rise again today.

Posted
She probably saw the Countryfile forecast and fainted - I know I nearly did! :lol:

For those who missed it - I can't find anyone who has Youtubed it yet, it should be on iPlayer later not sure what time though :spiteful:

Yes he mentioned the B word,blizzards :lol: now that will be a major shock for you young ones but it`s not a classic one with true cold air so marginal will come into the mix for low ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
No way unfortunately, the Meto are playing it safe and the band of snow could be just 50 miles wide - if that, because it's looking very marginal especially in the E Midlands. Whoever does get hit will get enormous amounts, but it won't cover a particularly large area.

Also the track of the front is yet to be decided and the ECM puts the front right into County Durham, meaning rain for the Midlands.

Yeti I so agree with you but only to a point.. I think the BBC are playing on the safe side and saying 15-20cm for the Midlands because the chance is there but it's not nailed on yet. This does sound nice though, even if it is wrong :spiteful:

East Midlands:60% Derby

60% Derbyshire

60% Leicester

60% Leicestershire

60% Northamptonshire

60% Nottingham

60% Nottinghamshire

60% Rutland

Drifting Snow & Heavy Snow 1800 Mon 9 2359 Mon 9

Rain turning to snow in many places will give accumulations of 5 to 10cm generally and 15 to 20cm over hills. Some drifting is possible in the strong easterly winds.

Issued at: 1150 Sun 8 Feb

East Midlands:60% Derby

60% Derbyshire

60% Leicester

60% Leicestershire

60% Northamptonshire

60% Nottingham

60% Nottinghamshire

60% Rutland

Drifting Snow & Heavy Snow 0001 Tue 10 1200 Tue 10

Further snow is expected in many places with falls of 5 to 10cm generally and 15 to 20cm over hills. Some drifting is possible in the strong northeasterly winds.

Issued at: 1209 Sun 8 Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
hello blizzards, my forecast is for upto 10 inches in the south midlands tommorow :D , but unfortunatly worcetershire will be in a pocket of dry weather only recieving 0-1cm of snow.. :spiteful:

Im surprised you didnt say 10 inches of Slush! :lol: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
That's a good thing about not seeing proper snow before, when we get a decent fall we think it is great! Our expectations are very low compared to people who saw winters in the 60s, 70s or 80s.

Anyway, cloud now thickening all the time, and temp has dropped considerably to 4.1c, probably won't rise again today.

Just checked the radar after not seeing it since 10:45am... Looks like it's pepped up a bit doesen't it? :spiteful: Told ya!

Posted
im thinking that we have a good chance of snow here in the south midlands tomorrow and tuesday. not sure about today tho. what do u pro's think? :lol:

:lol: sorry i meant south of birmingham, not south of midlands! duh! :spiteful: