Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 'no Storms Club' 2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Tis not fair! once again, the storms were so close by today ! but, again they decided to miss my area . :lol:

Posted
It's still early days yet for us all! Here's looking to May :)

Aye,lincs normally do very well for storms,so i'll expect some in the coming weeks :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Its comming on close 3 years now since the last thunderstorm I saw. I'm giving up hope. :huh:

3 years!!?? Ferrlippin heck lol that is a long time. Maybe you should down south...

Posted
3 years!!?? Ferrlippin heck lol that is a long time. Maybe you should down south...

If I could drive and had a car I would be down south chasing with every chance I got.

The lack of storms is slowly sending me insane.

I've stopped reading the convective threads because I know its not gonna happen.

Posted
If I could drive and had a car I would be down south chasing with every chance I got.

The lack of storms is slowly sending me insane.

I've stopped reading the convective threads because I know its not gonna happen.

Gah :( Edinburgh seems to be a strange place, even though it's in Scotland it doesen't seem to get much snow and storms don't happen often there either :huh: Here in the Midlands it isn't the best for snow in Northerlys but in Easterlys or North Easterlys we do quite well. With storms... Well the Midlands is probably one of the best places in the UK for storms, had some crackers over the past few years. Had the best one I think I have saw yesterday though, 3cm of hail on all surfaces and thunder so loud that all the car alarms went off :D

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

is it me or it seems that the weather in summer time is less prone to storms than in the 1970s & 80s..had some really spectacular night time storms back then which seemed to have disapeared.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

No thunder heard here so far this year but it's not unprecedented. There was no thunder heard in the first 4 months of 1992, 2001, 2001 or 2007, in fact 2007 had no thunder at all until June and we all remember how that summer turned out.

Posted

Unfortunately I'm still a 2009 member and I'm looking to get out of this club soon!!! :huh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
Aye,lincs normally do very well for storms,so i'll expect some in the coming weeks :lol:

I expect you will get some good uns soon lol.You always do quite well where you are. Send one my way after pleeasee lol

Its comming on close 3 years now since the last thunderstorm I saw. I'm giving up hope. :cray:

Awww sammie! I can remember from last year you didn't have a storm :(

Hey!! you may get lucky this year! Say a one in 3 years storm lol. Still early yet mind you. Fingers crossed.Hope to see you reporting in the storm reports this summer. :)

Unfortunately I'm still a 2009 member and I'm looking to get out of this club soon!!! :doh:

Time will tell lol

:doh: Nothing again, always seems the way.

I know the feelin lol

is it me or it seems that the weather in summer time is less prone to storms than in the 1970s & 80s..had some really spectacular night time storms back then which seemed to have disapeared.

Some great storms back then.But where have they gone? :o

No thunder heard here so far this year but it's not unprecedented. There was no thunder heard in the first 4 months of 1992, 2001, 2001 or 2007, in fact 2007 had no thunder at all until June and we all remember how that summer turned out.

Maybe this year :)

Gah :( Edinburgh seems to be a strange place, even though it's in Scotland it doesen't seem to get much snow and storms don't happen often there either :huh: Here in the Midlands it isn't the best for snow in Northerlys but in Easterlys or North Easterlys we do quite well. With storms... Well the Midlands is probably one of the best places in the UK for storms, had some crackers over the past few years. Had the best one I think I have saw yesterday though, 3cm of hail on all surfaces and thunder so loud that all the car alarms went off :lol:

I seen the report from you andy yesterday! Sounded like a pretty wild one. I guess you will do well this year :o

Posted
Gah :) Edinburgh seems to be a strange place, even though it's in Scotland it doesen't seem to get much snow and storms don't happen often there either :) Here in the Midlands it isn't the best for snow in Northerlys but in Easterlys or North Easterlys we do quite well. With storms... Well the Midlands is probably one of the best places in the UK for storms, had some crackers over the past few years. Had the best one I think I have saw yesterday though, 3cm of hail on all surfaces and thunder so loud that all the car alarms went off :)
Edinburgh is a strange place full stop. I guess it doesn't help I dodge between Edinburgh and Helensburgh for uni though. Double the chance of getting missed.
Awww sammie! I can remember from last year you didn't have a storm :(

Hey!! you may get lucky this year! Say a one in 3 years storm lol. Still early yet mind you. Fingers crossed.Hope to see you reporting in the storm reports this summer. :)

I had better be lucky :) or I might just lose it and jump in to the Clyde. I hope so I'm gonna tear my hair out soon, there have two painful near misses as well. Anything moving north seems to hit the Clyde vally and commit suicide.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Move to Kent - we do quite well here each year for thunder, though not overly for snow.

Easterlies in winter tend to deliver flurries, with perhaps on average 2 maybe 3 accumulation events, seldom more though than 2-3 inches. This year however was very much an exception. Northerlies in the part of Kent I live, tend not to deliver much snow.

Thunder however is a different story - Kent is placed in a prime position for imports, and there have been some significant events over the years. The close proximity as well to the London 'Urban heat island' also improves our chances too, particularly from cold fronts advancing East. The relatively warmer summer temperatures across the SE too also improve our chances.

Posted
Thunder however is a different story - Kent is placed in a prime position for imports, and there have been some significant events over the years. The close proximity as well to the London 'Urban heat island' also improves our chances too, particularly from cold fronts advancing East. The relatively warmer summer temperatures across the SE too also improve our chances.

=[ I'm thinking of packing up and moving down south. I love Scotland but the lack of storms hurts my heart.

Blah I need to find someone at this university that likes storms, has a car and can drive. Then I shall get a fix.

Posted

I live in the midlands :) Mansfield to be precise - last year we had some awesome storms! One i remember in particular was huge, a real monster - quite suprising for england. Hoping for a good stormy summer this year!

Joey :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think you are right. One of Philip Eden's books quotes typical decadal "days of thunder", for each month, averaged over England and Wales. The frequency of thunder showed a decline in May, July and August since the 1980s, and June saw a decline a decade later, into the 2000s. It doesn't seem to be down to any one factor, but rather a combination of factors.

As for thunder distribution, the Met Office used to have maps of 1990-97 ATD-generated frequency but those have been taken off the website- I think the long-term average ones they have out now are too generalised. I think East Anglia and Lincolnshire and some other parts of the SE (Kent and Sussex perhaps) are the UK's thunder hotspots, but much of the Midlands, south Yorkshire and south-east Lancashire are not far behind. Eastern Scotland seems to have the lowest frequency of thunderstorms- west Scotland has the lowest summer frequency but this is more than offset by a higher autumn/winter frequency.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The Midlands or the South East is definately the place to be for storms. Were already on two thunder days! :doh:

Posted
Eastern Scotland seems to have the lowest west Scotland has the lowest summer frequency but this is more than offset by a higher autumn/winter frequency.

I can't remember a year really where we've had thunderstorms before August much, August and September we do alright in, that is if we get any where I am. Great, I commute between the two places in the country with the lowest thunderstorm frequency. Sod this, anyone have a door step I can sleep on?

Edited by sammie

Posted
One storm in Scotland,which was one of the biggest of seen from footage on youtube is the May 4th 2006 Glasgow thunderstorm, the CGs in that were monsters!!

That was the last storm I had! That was stunning, it was right over head of me. We lost power and everything, I honestly thought it was the end of the world. There were a strike about 100 meters from my house and the entire building shook with the boom. I supose after a storm like that I don't deserve one for another couple of years.

Posted
That was the last storm I had! That was stunning, it was right over head of me. We lost power and everything, I honestly thought it was the end of the world. There were a strike about 100 meters from my house and the entire building shook with the boom. I supose after a storm like that I don't deserve one for another couple of years.

Now I might sound like a wuss when i say this but those kind of storms are actually genuinly scary lol, when we had that storm on Tuesday here there was 2 rumbles of thunder that literally shook the house to the point where I could feel the floorboards rocking lol. I do like storms in a way but in other ways I don't, like for instance... Whenever there is a bad lightning storm I get a bit worried that it might hit our house and the storm on Tuesday did no favours in helping me get over that fear lol because a factory about 2 miles away got hit by a lightning bolt and immediatly went up in flames!

Posted
Now I might sound like a wuss when i say this but those kind of storms are actually genuinly scary lol, when we had that storm on Tuesday here there was 2 rumbles of thunder that literally shook the house to the point where I could feel the floorboards rocking lol. I do like storms in a way but in other ways I don't, like for instance... Whenever there is a bad lightning storm I get a bit worried that it might hit our house and the storm on Tuesday did no favours in helping me get over that fear lol because a factory about 2 miles away got hit by a lightning bolt and immediatly went up in flames!

It just kept going though, the storm went on for hours and hours, started about 10pm and lasted well until the daylight hours. I have a feeling it was a big MSC but I can't find much on it.

The lightning was right over us the whole time, it was amazing, just kept going and as soon as you thought it calmed down BOOM it picked up again. It was insane in the membrane.

You always have that moment of fear in a storm but I supose thats why we like them.

I need a stooorrrrrmmm *cries*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A bit harsh, saying you don't deserve another storm after having had a big one like that in 2006- in some other parts of the country it is rare to see out a year without having a major thunderstorm, and that holds even more strongly on the near-continent.

I'm very nearly in the "no storms" club but I heard a rumble from a large cumulonimbus cell to the east of Exeter on 28 April, so have had to step outside of it lol!

Posted

Hmmm, well I woke up to a rumble a few weeks back, but only just remember it so that pretty much puts me in the no storm club B)