Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 'no Storms Club' 2009

Posted
A bit harsh, saying you don't deserve another storm after having had a big one like that in 2006- in some other parts of the country it is rare to see out a year without having a major thunderstorm, and that holds even more strongly on the near-continent.

I'm very nearly in the "no storms" club but I heard a rumble from a large cumulonimbus cell to the east of Exeter on 28 April, so have had to step outside of it lol!

It's Scotland we must have used the storm quota up for a good few years with that on, still, my mother was praying though that storm it was so big. It was truly amazing, I live on the top of a hill in Helensburgh so I could see from Port Glasgow right down to Dunoon from my room and the whole of the lower Clyde valley. Perfect place to watch storms from. Though in hindsight hanging out of my 4th floor bedroom window watching the stom is not a safe place B)

Still, I have hope for this year! Gotta be 3rd time lucky!

Posted

Something I keep thinking of doing, but good storm chasing days always come up when I haven't got the car or busy B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't have a car at all, so I'm limited to storm watching. (There were a few occasions during my time in Norwich when I called it "storm standing"- as in there's no need to chase storms when they're overhead!)

Posted
I don't have a car at all, so I'm limited to storm watching. (There were a few occasions during my time in Norwich when I called it "storm standing"- as in there's no need to chase storms when they're overhead!)

I'm in the same boat, no car and can't drive B) so I am somewhat stuck in place. Our day shall come however, we shall chase one day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
It's Scotland we must have used the storm quota up for a good few years with that on, still, my mother was praying though that storm it was so big. It was truly amazing, I live on the top of a hill in Helensburgh so I could see from Port Glasgow right down to Dunoon from my room and the whole of the lower Clyde valley. Perfect place to watch storms from. Though in hindsight hanging out of my 4th floor bedroom window watching the stom is not a safe place :)

Still, I have hope for this year! Gotta be 3rd time lucky!

Wow that sounds mad!! There must have been a lot of flooding from that? Well if the long-term forecast for summer comes true then you may well see some big storms this year :) If it is hot and muggy then I bet even Scotland will see some big storms too.

Posted
Wow that sounds mad!! There must have been a lot of flooding from that? Well if the long-term forecast for summer comes true then you may well see some big storms this year :) If it is hot and muggy then I bet even Scotland will see some big storms too.

We had about an inch sitting on the grit school football pit in front of my house after it, around 4am it started really comming down, it was in sheets in high winds. Though to be honest though most of it was pretty low precip where we were, I remember my mum acually going "why is it not raining?" a couple of times, then I tried to explain the concept of a downdraught and she turned off. Though while I was home and we both got a bit drunk sitting in the living room at 2am I taught her a radar works. :) Only took three years.

Posted

2 unusual memorable thunder days so far here with January 17th/April15th.

Last year by May 4th which was a double whammy, 2 more memorable thunder days including the same date January 17th. :D

Posted

Make that 3 days last year with the loud crack of thunder on March 11th,so this year is running behind last.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
We had about an inch sitting on the grit school football pit in front of my house after it, around 4am it started really comming down, it was in sheets in high winds. Though to be honest though most of it was pretty low precip where we were, I remember my mum acually going "why is it not raining?" a couple of times, then I tried to explain the concept of a downdraught and she turned off. Though while I was home and we both got a bit drunk sitting in the living room at 2am I taught her a radar works. :lol: Only took three years.

LMAO! My mum kind of understands what I show her on the net with the radar and stuff but she still doesen't really get most of it. It's funny you should mention that there was an inch sitting on the school football pitch because when we had that crazy hail/thunderstorm here last Tuesday I was supposed to have football training an hour after the storm had passed, there was about an inch of hail laying on all surfaces and I thought "Well it will have melted in an hours time, it's almost May, it won't last more than 20 mins before melting! Well how wrong I was :D An hour later and the artificial grass pitch which we train on was still covered in an inch of compacted hail so it was like a skating rink and we had to call training off. In fact there was still patches of hail that lasted overnight! The storm passed at about 6pm on Tuesday evening and most of the hail had melted by 8:30pm but on patches on the grass and on a few roofs the hail managed to last through the night because the temperature dropped to about 1-2c. I don't know how that happened because before the hailstorm came the temperature was around 16c. :D

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted
LMAO! My mum kind of understands what I show her on the net with the radar and stuff but she still doesen't really get most of it. It's funny you should mention that there was an inch sitting on the school football pitch because when we had that crazy hail/thunderstorm here last Tuesday I was supposed to have football training an hour after the storm had passed, there was about an inch of hail laying on all surfaces and I thought "Well it will have melted in an hours time, it's almost May, it won't last more than 20 mins before melting! Well how wrong I was :) An hour later and the artificial grass pitch which we train on was still covered in an inch of compacted hail so it was like a skating rink and we had to call training off. In fact there was still patches of hail that lasted overnight! The storm passed at about 6pm on Tuesday evening and most of the hail had melted by 8:30pm but on patches on the grass and on a few roofs the hail managed to last through the night because the temperature dropped to about 1-2c. I don't know how that happened because before the hailstorm came the temperature was around 16c. :)

:lol: my mum understands science when she is drunk, its the only time I bother to teach her anything, I managed to explain the diffrence between a single cell, MCS and supercell to her and she got it as well. I was sat there going "why can't you do this sober?" and she's like "Umm....because its not interesting sober" Science does not come from the mothers side :lol:

While the airtemp might have been 1 - 2C the ground temp can often be a few degrees lower, I'd scan in the reason why off lecture notes but I'm too lazy to.

Posted
LMAO! My mum kind of understands what I show her on the net with the radar and stuff but she still doesen't really get most of it. It's funny you should mention that there was an inch sitting on the school football pitch because when we had that crazy hail/thunderstorm here last Tuesday I was supposed to have football training an hour after the storm had passed, there was about an inch of hail laying on all surfaces and I thought "Well it will have melted in an hours time, it's almost May, it won't last more than 20 mins before melting! Well how wrong I was :lol: An hour later and the artificial grass pitch which we train on was still covered in an inch of compacted hail so it was like a skating rink and we had to call training off. In fact there was still patches of hail that lasted overnight! The storm passed at about 6pm on Tuesday evening and most of the hail had melted by 8:30pm but on patches on the grass and on a few roofs the hail managed to last through the night because the temperature dropped to about 1-2c. I don't know how that happened because before the hailstorm came the temperature was around 16c. :)

Im still in the no storms club, apart from a few distant rumbles last year. I cant remember an overhead storm here in Blackpool they all seem to pass to the east of us and i can hardly hear them. I dont even recall hail falling here let alone an inch covering :lol: I hope to have at least one decent storm this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It used to be the same further north within Lancashire when I was in Lancaster. Most of the storms would pass away to the east, Lancaster sometimes caught the western edge of the storms, while Morecambe on the coast tended to miss everything. There were exceptions- August 2004 was an exceptionally thundery month in those parts- but few and far between.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Woooo!!!! lol Sunday's looking good for storms for me :lol:

But it's still to early yet. It will change to zero by then knowing my luck :winky: lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Woooo!!!! lol Sunday's looking good for storms for me :lol:

But it's still to early yet. It will change to zero by then knowing my luck :winky: lol

Personally i think the GFS has overcooked the Cape a bit but its one to watch. There are certain things that do look good and dont.

Good- TT Index very good as well as cape.

Bad- Very poor Deep or Lower Layer Shear

Posted
Woooo!!!! lol Sunday's looking good for storms for me :D

But it's still to early yet. It will change to zero by then knowing my luck :D lol

If u do get some decent storms then please could you send one north to me, cape not looking too good for me again for sunday it all seems to happen further south. :(

Posted
Personally i think the GFS has overcooked the Cape a bit but its one to watch. There are certain things that do look good and dont.

Good- TT Index very good as well as cape.

Bad- Very poor Deep or Lower Layer Shear

The GFS probably has lol. Hopefully we will all be lucky( but how many times have I said that lol)

If u do get some decent storms then please could you send one north to me, cape not looking too good for me again for sunday it all seems to happen further south. :D

I doubt I will even get one lol. But if I do ,I will gladly send it your way :( In recent years storms have been very rare here . :D

Posted
The GFS probably has lol. Hopefully we will all be lucky( but how many times have I said that lol)

I doubt I will even get one lol. But if I do ,I will gladly send it your way :( In recent years storms have been very rare here . :D

Really? I thought you would of been in a good location for storms coming in from the south or south west. I always envy people who live in or around your area because of lots of storms. I bet you get more than me this summer anyway :D !

Posted
Really? I thought you would of been in a good location for storms coming in from the south or south west. I always envy people who live in or around your area because of lots of storms. I bet you get more than me this summer anyway :D !

No,sadly I'm not in the best of places here.I have only lived in Glos for a few years I'm originally from Plymouth. I can only recall a couple of good storms here but that's going back a few years now. I live in a valley surrounded by hills,so I've been told storms never seem to make it here due to the hills :D

Plymouth used to have some good storms.But I have noticed lately that they aren't as frequent as years ago.

Believe me !! Storms have decided too miss Tewks lately.

Who knows!! everywhere could see some good oones this year.Time will tell :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
No,sadly I'm not in the best of places here.I have only lived in Glos for a few years I'm originally from Plymouth. I can only recall a couple of good storms here but that's going back a few years now. I live in a valley surrounded by hills,so I've been told storms never seem to make it here due to the hills :D

Plymouth used to have some good storms.But I have noticed lately that they aren't as frequent as years ago.

Who knows!! everywhere could see some good oones this year.Time will tell :D

I dont think Plymouth sees many good stroms anymore imo.

The Best place for storms imo is always going to be the South East of England, Central Southern England, All of the Midlands, East Wales and East Anglia.

Posted
I dont think Plymouth sees many good stroms anymore imo.

The Best place for storms imo is always going to be the South East of England, Central Southern England, All of the Midlands, East Wales and East Anglia.

I would say the South East and Lincolnshire.More over the Eastern side. Mind you Blizzards! you haven't done to badly of late :D I bet you do really well this year.Good luck I say :D

Posted

Who knows!! everywhere could see some good oones this year.Time will tell :D

Well storms in Blackpool certainly arent as frequent as they used to be. My mum says in the 60s 70s and 80s there were loads of decent storms in Blackpool, she says theres hardly anything now compared to what it was like back then, oh and there was a lot more snow about then too and i love snow in winter, well looking at peoples pictures of snowfall on netweather gallery. lol

Posted

Blackpool has never been a particularly snowy location. At Lancaster, the 1971-2000 average was only 6 days per year with lying snow, and at Blackpool it's probably more like 3 or 4 days. Lancaster was similar with snow as well as storms- most of the snow events gave a dumping up on the Pennines, on occasion Lancaster would catch a dusting on the western flank, while at Morecambe on the coast it very rarely settled.

On Christmas Day 2004 sleety showers were reported from the Blackpool area while Lancaster had an inch of lying snow.

As for storms in the South West, they're more common than in eastern Scotland or much of northern England north of Yorkshire, but not relative to the more thunder-prone areas of England. The south-west of England tends to miss a lot of the continental imports that head up from France, while homegrown storms over the region tend to grow in intensity as they head east and north. But on occasion a Spanish plume with the wind not west of due south, or a south-easterly regime, may bring big thunderstorms to the SW. But I think most south-west England storms tend to be quite well scattered, like the one that brought a rumble of thunder to the east of Exeter on 28 April this year.

I do think East Anglia and parts of south-east England get the biggest and most frequent thunderstorms, but Lincolnshire, the Midlands, parts of S Yorkshire and around Manchester are not far behind.

Posted
Blackpool has never been a particularly snowy location. At Lancaster, the 1971-2000 average was only 6 days per year with lying snow, and at Blackpool it's probably more like 3 or 4 days. Lancaster was similar with snow as well as storms- most of the snow events gave a dumping up on the Pennines, on occasion Lancaster would catch a dusting on the western flank, while at Morecambe on the coast it very rarely settled.

On Christmas Day 2004 sleety showers were reported from the Blackpool area while Lancaster had an inch of lying snow.

As for storms in the South West, they're more common than in eastern Scotland or much of northern England north of Yorkshire, but not relative to the more thunder-prone areas of England. The south-west of England tends to miss a lot of the continental imports that head up from France, while homegrown storms over the region tend to grow in intensity as they head east and north. But on occasion a Spanish plume with the wind not west of due south, or a south-easterly regime, may bring big thunderstorms to the SW. But I think most south-west England storms tend to be quite well scattered, like the one that brought a rumble of thunder to the east of Exeter on 28 April this year.

I do think East Anglia and parts of south-east England get the biggest and most frequent thunderstorms, but Lincolnshire, the Midlands, parts of S Yorkshire and around Manchester are not far behind.

I remember the wintry showers on xmas day 04 no lying snow in Blackpool but on boxing day there was lying snow in Preston just a few miles inland. I bet you have had some decent storms where you are compared to when you were in Lancaster and more snow too. lol

Posted
I remember the wintry showers on xmas day 04 no lying snow in Blackpool but on boxing day there was lying snow in Preston just a few miles inland. I bet you have had some decent storms where you are compared to when you were in Lancaster and more snow too. lol

Oddly enough, I had more lying snow during my winter here in Exeter than I had in three years in Lancaster! That's an extreme rarity though- apparently Exeter had only two days with lying snow in the five years before I came, and the long-term mean is a measly 3 days per year (half of Lancaster's) so I timed it pretty well.

Haven't had any big storms in Exeter though- just a small one on 28 April. I think the mean thunder frequency for Exeter is similar to that for Blackpool, incidentally.

But in any case, I'll be in Norwich (UEA) for a year and a half after this- and having already spent a year and a bit there I can vouch for the fact that it gets a lot more of both snow and thunderstorms than Lancaster. In 2008 I heard thunder at UEA on 16 days.