Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Discussion

Posted
Ross, how did you get a copy of my hymn sheet??? How dry has it been here recently?? It is starting to get weird.

Yeah, very dry. When i got off the plane on friday i was surprised to see everything covered in dust and it still hadn't rained! I've recorded 0.3mm so far this month which was from a few light showers the other night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Big Cb off to my west, plus quite thick Ac Cas to my south...ties in with the latest radar.....no sferics, but good lapse here (26C) certainly a heavy shower on the cards shortly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Went outside about 5 mins ago, thought I could see Acas clouds! Not sure whether this is an accurate classification, but certainly tied in with the classifications in my books! Exceptionally mild tonight also.

Did anyone notice today the speed with which the clouds in the upper atmosphere were travelling? B) Have never seen anything like it - the lower level Cu looked as if they were travelling in a SW direction (which I thought was bizarre) - only on close inspection did I notice they were actually stationary, and it was the cirrus and cirrostratus that were moving NE!!

Would I be right in thinking this was the jet stream?

Edited by Harry

Posted
Yes I have a shower to my east (the one you mention) and one to my west, which to be honest is likely to miss me to the north. Both aren't thundery so it's no biggie! ;)

Those showers appear to be intensifying, but not really going anywhere fast B)

Posted

Rapid development heading towards Manchester!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Rapid development heading towards Manchester!

spotted...cheers Harry....also two cells west of brum, it looks mid-level, thick AcCas here (20k'S NW of brum)...see radar grab...

post-4149-1245015029_thumb.png

I'm keeping my eye on mid/north wales today, I wouldnt rule out an isolated thunderstorm breaking out there and drifting ENE..Conditions are starting to look more favourable with, I would expect some CAPE, 26C+ Lapse and negative L.I values by mid afternoon plus lots of surface heating, IMO, someone in the NW midlands (me for example...lol) might just get lucky B)

cor blimey govenor...a forecast from me 10 hours ago that might yet come true...lol

Posted
Went outside about 5 mins ago, thought I could see Acas clouds! Not sure whether this is an accurate classification, but certainly tied in with the classifications in my books! Exceptionally mild tonight also.

Did anyone notice today the speed with which the clouds in the upper atmosphere were travelling? B) Have never seen anything like it - the lower level Cu looked as if they were travelling in a SW direction (which I thought was bizarre) - only on close inspection did I notice they were actually stationary, and it was the cirrus and cirrostratus that were moving NE!!

Would I be right in thinking this was the jet stream?

YES that is happening here right now, almost stationary cu / alt cu and cirrus speeding past up above.

Posted
My thoughts exactly! C'mon!!! :) B)

Damn, the latest radar image has the showers moving east, which means they are missing me to the south ;)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

N-W storm forecast for tomorrow is now released: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted

I assume that shower to the south of Manc has become a storm, looking out to my west just seen the large anvil ive been watching for the last 40 mins light up!! B)

Posted
N-W storm forecast for tomorrow is now released: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

:);):):) B)

And no doubt people based in the midlands will still have the front (excuse the pun :) ) to ask why we are moaning in the SE!

Edited by Harry

Posted
:);) B) :):)

I know the feeling - but I am not giving up yet! :)

I've been a good person today, and feel that god may just treat me tomorrow evening for being such a good person :)

Edited by maidstone weather

I assume that shower to the south of Manc has become a storm, looking out to my west just seen the large anvil ive been watching for the last 40 mins light up!! B)

Cool!

I have trees blocking my westerly view a bit, but I shall keep a lookout ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Radar shows a moderate shower here but nothing is falling? B)

Posted
Radar shows a moderate shower here but nothing is falling? :(

Have a gander outside mate, I've thick AcCas from that cell, could well be precip evaporating (looks mid-level to my untrained eye)

Posted
:cray::(:cray::(:cray:

And no doubt people based in the midlands will still have the front (excuse the pun :D ) to ask why we are moaning in the SE!

Just hope something strays S of London eh! But main risk of storms probably N of a line from Dorset to Essex, can't rule out something cropping up SE of that line as always convective forecasting is experimental and open to the vageries of nature!

Posted
I feel your pain and if anyone has the right to moan with regards to convective activity it is you, along with everyone in the SE.

Looking to tomorrow, if I can catch a moderate storm (some good CGs and pea-sized hail) it'll have been a success!

One rumble would be a success for me here! :( I doubt we will see even that in Exeter though but you never know, just catch the edge of Nick's forecast zone.

Nice display pic too! Always good to see ones people have done themselves, mine is off the 9th may multicell storm last year, it's a video cap, not a picture though, lot's of pink and blue lightning!

Posted
Just been out for a cig and the heavens have just this second opened here in Manchester

What a surprise! The tiny shower that was located in northeast Wales 2 hours ago has grown and grown and hitting here now! Net weather has the thunder symbol for Manchester but I haven't seen or heard anything.

Karyo

Posted
I feel your pain and if anyone has the right to moan with regards to convective activity it is you, along with everyone in the SE.

Looking to tomorrow, if I can catch a moderate storm (some good CGs and pea-sized hail) it'll have been a success!

Thanksh, its well thought of believe me :cray::cray:

If I get light drizzle at this rate, it will have been a success lol

Mind you, I am never sure how much to read into the NW storm risk chart, but literally 4-5 miles to my north is a 70% risk zone - so I suppose based on that (and the fact anything can change overnight) I am still, like MW, rather faintheardtedly optimistic :( ...and I have been good too! :cray:

Edited by Harry