Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Discussion

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Mod/Heavy rain for over an hour or so. No thundery activity. Turned in a pretty poor afternoon 10.8C at present.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Temperature has dropped to 15.5c hear in Newcastle was 20.4c at 1241hrs, Humidity was 56% at 1530, this has shot up to 77%

2.5mm rain fallen in the last hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
not here it dont Paul.

Ah right, well apparently it's somewhere near Newcastle. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Location in properly, not sure what I did before I thought it was in :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

On-shore breeze here in South Shields is having quite an effect on the incoming storms zapping the energy

right out of them the skies dont seem half as dynamic as they did yesterday evening, still its only 5:10pm plenty

of time yet as the storm that hit here yesterday didnt arrive until 7:30ish although slight differences in todays

set up could put a spanner in the works for coastal areas.

Posted
Temperature has dropped to 15.5c hear in Newcastle was 20.4c at 1241hrs, Humidity was 56% at 1530, this has shot up to 77%

2.5mm rain fallen in the last hour

Max temp 17.0C about 11am, cloud built up quickly this moring preventing any decent warmth.

Looks some heavy rain around Edmundbyers heading your way.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

yes CAPE still holding up well for central parts....

could be some fun tomorrow.....Even though met office still going for warnings for the EAST...

They normally update in real time so I expect and hope the warnings to move more to the Central areas.....

LI was -6 the last I checked

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Looking stormy again here, but especially to the south right now :)

Edited by alza

Posted
I suppose I'm just gonna have to wait and see what tomorrow brings rather than focusing too much on the GFS charts since I havent got a clue what's going to happen. It seems that even if Wales and West Midlands had CAPE values of 3000+j/kg and LI of -10 and storm risk of 80%, the Meto would probably forecast thunderstorms for Scotland.

I've always said that the East are more likely to get the more intense storms and the heaviest rainfalls come tomorrow but the Meto are basically saying, that the West country are only going to get a few showers and with the risk of hail and 'the odd rumble of thunder'.

I hope tomorrow the West Midlands is caught out by a beast of a storm and the drains cannot cope with the amount of water falling from the sky, that way the Meto may think twice before pulling down the advisory for the West Midlands.

So you would like something dangerous and very life threatening and property/damge wrecking to make a point to metoffice? I know we all want storms but wishing thats a little too far dont you think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I agree with the MetO's assessment for western areas. As is often the case, western areas will tend to see the most convection, but the west will essentially be the breeding ground such that what convection gets over to the east is more likely to be very intense and very electrified.

Posted
:) Maybe, but there are other people on here hoping for funnel or tornado formation, don't you think that's a little too far? I didn't say I wanted people to drown, I just want some disruption to transport systems, that way Meto will start to learn when they should take down warnings.

Besides it's already happened before. July 28th 2005 when the Tornado struck south B'ham, people could have died yet Meto only forecast for showers and thunderstorms.

I'm sure it's nothing personal from the Met, they're just calling it as they see it, wouldn't be surprised to see some flash warning for the West Mids as tomorrow progresses. As for the Bham tornado I would have said the Met called it pretty well, there was showers and there was thunder storms, yes a tornado grew out of it but I'm not sure anyone could have forecast it or warned about it.....

Posted

Might be reading too much into this but i've just saw all the cows on a nearby field running like hell. They can sense something.

Posted

Bring on the Supercells not the teddybears :)

TWS...yes Im fed up wityh the midlands being a breeding ground for the Easterners...lol....

I see you valued point which is often the case with us breeding Storms....No offense Easterners.... :)

Just hope that they get it wrong and its more widespread than they are preciting.....a few sites are saying different than METO...but i take meto with a pinch of salt as like Ive said before they change there maps in REAL TIME..

So some consulation to them not in the warning zone....

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton
Might be reading too much into this but i've just saw all the cows on a nearby field running like hell. They can sense something.

Perhaps they've spotted a local butcher and staff from Mcdonalds

Well turning on the BBQ will make them scarper, and it may also entice a thunderstorm to develop :)

Posted
Perhaps they've spotted a local butcher and staff from Mcdonalds

you can keep your vigorous storms to yourself. lightning can destroy a house, and cause significant damage to many buildings. i dont mind the odd heavy shower, but lightning isnt just a firework display as people see it.

Posted

I don't see it as a firework display

I dont like Thunder.Lightning or anything else to do with Thunderstorms and I hope I don't see any storms tomorrow

I was trying to add a touch of humour and failing by the look of it

Edited by Gordon

Posted
Oh dear. Meto knew that conditions that day were very favourable for 'Significant Tornadoes' around the Birmingham area. They warned aviation authorities not to fly in the couples of hours before and after the tornado hit. However they didn't warn the public of any chance of a tornado, just for showers and thunderstorms.

There was one tornado that was accurately predicted by Tomasz Schafernaker on one of his forecasts, i am not sure if its the one you are on about though.

Posted
Oh dear. Meto knew that conditions that day were very favourable for 'Significant Tornadoes' around the Birmingham area. They warned aviation authorities not to fly in the couples of hours before and after the tornado hit. However they didn't warn the public of any chance of a tornado, just for showers and thunderstorms.

So what I'm trying to say is, they knew but didn't warn for it and people nearly died. I don't wanna ramble on too much about that day but I honestly think that one day it will happen again and nobody will get any warning.

Turn it in, what happened that day was totally unprecedented, even Torro were caught off guard, there was nothing in advance to suggest tornadic activity was likely.

Posted
What??? Why are you even replying to my comments when you clearly don't have a clue what happened. Nothing in advance? Do some research. The Meto knew that conditions were favourable for 'Strong Tornadoes' in the Midlands, take a look at the synoptic chart for that day when the Tornado struck.

I watched the forecasts that day and all I was told was that there was going to be showers and the risk of thunderstorms. Please don't reply if you don't know what happened that day.

You dont have to talk to someone like a piece of crap just to make a point! Rule number 1 on a forum lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Why oh why!! Is everybody Bickering again :) Let's all be happy and look forward to tommorow.