Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Coast

Posted

What a difference 11 miles can make!

I left work in Wythenshawe at 5pm and a dark cloud was looming to the east and north of me. As I reached Alexandra Park, it started raining with large drops! Then heavy rain in the city centre and now the downpoor has cleared westwards.

Another developing line of clouds is almost over me now. It should become a shower as it is moving westwards but no action to the east so I think that's it now for my area.

A couple of boring days to come till the next possibility!

Karyo

Posted

Looks like a no show in regard to shrs across NE England and Cumbria. Meto forecast a bit off as everything further South by 50/100 miles.

Mostly cloudy day with a few sunny spells. Max 21.3C

Currently 18.8C mod SE breeze doesn't feel as humid as yesterday.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Couple of heavy showers developing over the cheshire plain currently and heading my way. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

Posted
Couple of heavy showers developing over the cheshire plain currently and heading my way. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

Probably give you a good downpour and then die as they reach here like the last lot. Watched your earlier downpour develop while at work by Ellesmere port.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Probably give you a good downpour and then die as they reach here like the last lot. Watched your earlier downpour develop while at work by Ellesmere port.

It was quite torrential; I was generally surprised to see that intense a downpour and not hear any thunder. The temps have dropped here a bit but it's still quite humid. Once these next few showers have passed through I expect that'll be it for the night. In any case, nice to see you again on the forums Shaun.

Posted
It was quite torrential; I was generally surprised to see that intense a downpour and not hear any thunder. The temps have dropped here a bit but it's still quite humid. Once these next few showers have passed through I expect that'll be it for the night. In any case, nice to see you again on the forums Shaun.

I'm always lurking just don't get much time to post. Was going to take a drive out tonight but will save it for the weekend now. Still no storms here this year.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

SW Bowland. Rain on and off since 4.30pm. Light-moderate. Moved in from ESE.

No thunder. Still gloomy and overcast now except towards NNE direction. But rain seems to have stopped.

Can't see any tall growy towers any more, so presume convection is dying down. Been some amazing cloud formations today. Often tall narrow pipes as well as the huge caulifllowers. All very slow moving.

Calm most of the day and not a breath of wind at present, but when the rain approached quite a strong E breeze got up.

Mains electric supply lost all afternoon too. Preston area. Don't know why.

Posted

Small band of rain heading west through Cheshire and East Merseyside. Looks fairly dark over that way at the moment.

Posted

i have only quickly skipped through the charts and I do believe yet again we have a downgrade.....not looking so good now for Friday....maybe Sunday...

Posted

It's gone quite dark here in Gresford, looks a bit darker over towards Chester, no rain or any thunder though. Still very warm.

Posted
It's gone quite dark here in Gresford, looks a bit darker over towards Chester, no rain or any thunder though. Still very warm.

Shows over I'm afraid. It's weakening. I'm under the rain now and it's only a light shower, looks more threatening than it actually is.

Posted

Today was a day that looked most promising during the late morning period when towers were shooting up in places,then a line of TCU to the east,but seems this afternoon the T cumulus just didn`t tower so high as the tops were collapsing,looked like a cap in place not so much to the west though but nothing developed,there was a dark cloud passed close by but alot of stratoform mixed in by then,shower passed close, just a few spots here,no CB`s in sight today,we are under HP so far enough.

But when the high does move much further north like on friday,the risk will be higher than today for thundery showers.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack2.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Hmmm interesting analysis from one of the thunderstorm sites for today.

Netweather not updated/forecast yet. TORRO not updated/forecast yet:

UKASF have:

Storm Forecast Issued: 2009-06-23 20:33:00

Valid: 2009-06-24 00:00:00 - 2009-06-24 23:59:00

Regions Affected

Northwest Highlands ( much of W & C Scotland, and NW of Ireland are included in the WATCH )

Synopsis

HIGH pressure over Scandinavia continues to influence the weather across the United Kingdom on Wednesday. Drier, less humid air will be present across England and Wales as easterly or southeasterly winds strengthen - leaving Scotland and Northern Ireland in a more humid airmass. Isolated showers are forecast to develop across the W & NW Highlands of Scotland during the day, in response, primarily, to local convergence zones and daytime heating. Most showers will be confined to mountainous areas where they will benefit from the additional lifting mechanisms present, with a chance for isolated thunderstorms also. The showers/storms will drift northwestwards into the Atlantic during the evening. Scattered showers over the northwest of Ireland during the morning and early afternoon pose a low risk of thunder and lightning, before dying out during the afternoon. Overnight showers over the NE Atlantic in the WATCH area during the early hours of Wednesday are also accompanied by a low risk of thunder.

f35a49bc5f5300b15bc6f97ff5301b46.png

ESTOFEX have nothing yet for today and the 21st Operational Weather Squadron only have areas way out in the Atlantic.

GFS also at odds with others as it shows the general area of interest, but not very dark shading?

gfs_cape_eur15.png

euhisig12.gif

ASIINWP_20090624_0630.png

I'm confused with this one today :doh:

Edited by Coast

Posted

FRIDAY EARLY WARNING

Issued at: 1019 Wed 24 Jun

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting some southwestern parts of the UK on Friday. Some heavy thundery showers are expected through the day and lasting well into the evening. Although some parts may well stay largely dry, the heavy showers could give 20mm or so of rain in places, and possibly in excess of 40mm very locally.

Wales

South West England

West Midlands

Issued at: 1019 Wed 24 Jun

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Messy :rolleyes:

ukstormrisk.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Well it's fingers crossed again lol there is still time for it to be downgraded. :rolleyes:

Posted

gfs_spout_eur63.png

Looks like dogs and Jane might get something!

Edited by Coast

Posted
gfs_spout_eur63.png

Looks like dogs and Jane might get something!

Ooooh, I do hope so!! I guess I should put off camping in a tent this weekend lol. I think I will await tommorow nights charts first to see if it remains the same.I hope everyone else gets a chance of a storm too. :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Fingers crossed for Plymouth this time. When storms come up from France, that's normally our best chance!

Posted

The storm risk from GFS has been upgraded again. Friday, Saturday and Tuesday is looking good for the South West :rolleyes: But we will see nearer the time. I hope the SE sees something too as storms of late have not been materialising.

Posted

Although we are further south than the watch box there is still a god bit of convection here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Once again I have the chance of seeing a storm or two. Will I dodge them again like I have done for the past two years, or will I get lucky.

Posted
Yeah, looks like any storms late this week will be confined to SWern regions. Kinda glad because if there was a high storm risk for my area I would be getting my hopes up and then nothing would materialise.

Good luck to Jane and Dogs32, they should be in prime position for any storms which do develop over the weekend.

:lol: your in a good position yourself weather09....looks like we have a chance.....Also the ones up from France are often quite violent for this country...better than the home grown....