Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Coast

Posted

Surprised more people are not looking at Fridays Potential at the Moment.

We have good chances but look at France :80:

post-24-1245696364_thumb.png

post-24-1245696380_thumb.png - 80f

Paul S

Posted

Forgive me if this as already been mentioned but Leeds Bradford Airport is showing Thunderstorm rain on XC Weather .

Posted
:80: 'Thunderstorms'? If they're thunderstorms then what we could get on the weekend could be life threatening! :) Oh dear.

are they not? They are not your typical thundery shower in a northwesterly setup so one can only presume, due to the slow moving nature, and torrential echoes on the radar, plus the persistence of the storms for the past couple of hours, that these are thunderstorms. And yes i would say that storms this weekend could be life threatening :80: (he hopes :) )

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
Surprised more people are not looking at Fridays Potential at the Moment.

We have good chances but look at France :)

post-24-1245696364_thumb.png

post-24-1245696380_thumb.png - 80f

Paul S

i agree with you paul friday and saturday looking pretty good :80: well for most people dont think i be seeing many storms up hear in norfolk do you :80:

Posted
Don't get what all the fuss is about! There aren't any storms just a few sharp showers over the pennines and can't understand why Meto put a flash warning out. A few downpours warrants a warning? Only in this country I suppose.

It constantly amazes me how people with little if any meteorological training can take a professional to task.

Posted

good on Estofex putting a warning out yesterday really....Even myself was sceptical.....

Just hope after the sun goes down that they dont die but continual to grow and expand...

I think they just might skirt with Mr Paul .S around 23.00hrs...

edit...oops the sferics have gone...

Edited by dogs32

Posted
I don't see what the point of that post was since I was giving my opinion and that opinion was, I don't think a few downpours warrants a flash warning from Meto. No meterological training required, just an opinion.

the point was, some areas in Yorks/Derby are in fact flooded hence the Flash

but never mind you are of course entitled to your opinion but best you read the definition on the Met O site of what constitutes a Flash for the various weather factors, rain/thunder being just two.

On a more light hearted note

I have just had a sharpish shower, the initial raindrops were the size of a 2p piece. My Davis eventually woke up to the fact it was raining, puddles on the road, and put its umbrella up-it managed to show 0.2mm. I suppose I really should get it recalibrated as it does under read by some 20-25% possibly more-never mind.

Looking at the rainfall radar suggested totals shows some small areas may well have had over 20mm from the line of showers over the Peak/pennine area.

Easy with hindsight but a quick look at the skew-t's shows that with 23+C and dewpoints of 14+C then isolated tops into the Trop are possible, much as the radar is showing.

the weather is often fascinating and always has that ability to catch one with ones trousers down so to speak.

there is a a small surface low formed just east of the southern Pennines and a surface convergence zone between Lancs and areas east, S Yorks into the NE Midlands.

I suspect this along with very small pressure falls, a bit of a trigger over the Pennines are the final bits needed to send the isolated storms off.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

re post 204 on previous page

storms/showers are currently tracking from about due north, all upper winds support this, 850, 700 and 500mb winds; how long before they die out, who knows, probably say 1-2 hours perhaps a little longer.

Posted
:80: 'Thunderstorms'? If they're thunderstorms then what we could get on the weekend could be life threatening! :80: Oh dear.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion...but yours is wrong! :)

A thunderstorm (in my opinion and probably every other person on the planet) is when there is some lightning and thunder from a Cb cloud, I can't understand why that is difficult to understand?

Anyhoo some congrats to Estofex for their forecast but also to the Met as I noticed on their rain graphics this morning it showed sharp showers breaking out over the Pennines.

Posted

well its a dam shame the sferics have gone....never mind worth watching them trundle southwards.....you never know :80:

crazy as the storms in the USA THE LIGHTNING WOULD INTENSIFY after dark...not here

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Looks as though the showers may just clip our town, that would be lovely as i've yet to water my tomatos lol :80:

Posted
Don't get funny. Sometimes I can't understand why it is difficult for people on here to grasp the meaning of opinion. A thunderstorm is exactly that, a thunderSTORM, see how emphasised the word 'storm'. I'm sure there are technical definitions as to what constitutes a thunderstorm but in my opinion, a downpour with the odd rumble of thunder or the odd flash is not a thunderstorm.

Of course weather organisations will define any thunder associated with a Cb cloud as a 'thunderstorm' but what else can they call it? For the downpours that occured over the pennines not too long ago, I think it would be more appropriate to call them showers or thundery showers.

Hey I'm not getting funny, I'm just giving my opinion.. :80: Anyway I'm sure the Thundery showers/storms will gradually get bigger and better as the week goes on! :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

but in my opinion, a downpour with the odd rumble of thunder or the odd flash is not a thunderstorm.

I agree with you there weather09 :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Don't get funny. Sometimes I can't understand why it is difficult for people on here to grasp the meaning of opinion. A thunderstorm is exactly that, a thunderSTORM, see how emphasised the word 'storm'. I'm sure there are technical definitions as to what constitutes a thunderstorm but in my opinion, a downpour with the odd rumble of thunder or the odd flash is not a thunderstorm.

Of course weather organisations will define any thunder associated with a Cb cloud as a 'thunderstorm' but what else can they call it? For the downpours that occured over the pennines not too long ago, I think it would be more appropriate to call them showers or thundery showers.

ok, perhaps a few new definitions are in order....how about 'microstorm' or 'thunderflirt' or 'rainrumbler' or my personal favourite as it depicts the way storms have flirted with me recently, a 'Skirt-flasher'?........lol........anymore from anyone else?

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
but in my opinion, a downpour with the odd rumble of thunder or the odd flash is not a thunderstorm.

I agree with you there weather09 :good:

I'm happy with anything in this day and age, all i ask for is one rumble :good::D

Posted

Just been out for another look and whoa those thundery CB`s are in a long line now,and still building right where I saw the first one,it`s a birds eye on a hill :good: ,impressive for a HP, but a trough was on GFS around that part.

Posted
ok, perhaps a few new definitions are in order....how about 'microstorm' or 'thunderflirt' or 'rainrumbler' or my personal favourite as it depicts the way storms have flirted with me recently, a 'Skirt-flasher'?........lol........anymore from anyone else?

what about a Pembrookshire dangler

now i have caught you all out :good:

any way showers still going strong but with no rumbles

Edited by dogs32

Posted

The exact definition of a thunderstorm is basically any cloud with thunder I believe, simple as.

Weather09 has a point though, when discussing thunderstorms there is no harm in using alternative descriptions such as thundery showers etc to give a more accurate picture.

But technically a thunderstorm is a thunderstorm, whatever the size.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
what about a Pembrookshire dangler

now i have caught you all out :good:

any way showers still going strong but with no rumbles

or of course, that well known miserable excuse of a storm that I always get here in Staffs....the 'Penkridge P*#@taker'....lol

The exact definition of a thunderstorm is basically any cloud with thunder I believe, simple as.

Weather09 has a point though, when discussing thunderstorms there is no harm in using alternative descriptions such as thundery showers etc to give a more accurate picture.

But technically a thunderstorm is a thunderstorm, whatever the size.

Agreed, one rumble or flash does not constitute a thunderstorm IMHO.....anyhoos, those 'rainrumblers' over the east midlands certainly are making for a beautiful skyline from my back garden, I'll post a couple of pics later on :good:

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Well things are looking really good for my location for tomorrow afternoon and evening, the best cape and li so far this year for lancashire. It looks like any heavy showers or storms that do develop will move westwards towards my area. This setup hasnt happened so far this year for the north west so im hoping showers will build as they move across towards me, no sea to kill them off. As for the weekend most areas look at high risk including me, but like others on the thread say it is subject to change, im just hoping it holds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes
Well things are looking really good for my location for tomorrow afternoon and evening, the best cape and li so far this year for lancashire. It looks like any heavy showers or storms that do develop will move westwards towards my area. This setup hasnt happened so far this year for the north west so im hoping showers will build as they move across towards me, no sea to kill them off. As for the weekend most areas look at high risk including me, but like others on the thread say it is subject to change, im just hoping it holds.

Same here!

Posted
Agreed, one rumble or flash does not constitute a thunderstorm IMHO.....anyhoos, those 'rainrumblers' over the east midlands certainly are making for a beautiful skyline from my back garden, I'll post a couple of pics later on :good:

A couple of CB`s on meteo site for 9pm and a few strikes.

Those clouds looked pretty impressive from here across the horizon,not many reports coming in from that part of the world though which is surprising.

The risk will be further west tomorrow then for thundery showers as we get a east to SE-ly flow.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn304.png

BBC have shown some big showers now aswell moving west from west midlands,how that has changed to the last time I saw it.!!!

Edited by Snowyowl9