Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Coast

Posted
there you go from netweather extra!

you should subscribe its ace!

Thanks crashlanding! It is very good and it clearly shows where the towers are that I can see to my east. Looking very healthy for the time of the day!

There must be a convergence zone over the Pennines currently!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

22c here,

very muggy. while the sun is now popping thru there are some good convective clouds around.

Im not expecting anything today however there is a chance. 51% on the main page. Estofex and UKASF show me on on the edge of a risk area.

So you never know.

We all know storms pop up outside the risk zones

Posted
Well that's a major downgrade for Friday then! Nothing to look forward to now, apart from the rising temps/dewpoints. Monday still looks promising but that's just six days away and will also be downgraded to nothing.

I'll be in Germany this weekend, it's looking fantastic there! :rolleyes:

Anyway, plenty of action here this afternoon...

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards
Thanks crashlanding! It is very good and it clearly shows where the towers are that I can see to my east. Looking very healthy for the time of the day!

There must be a convergence zone over the Pennines currently!

Karyo

Not a problem! Call me Graham!

What ever is over the pennines at the moment must be fun to watch!! Shame its not really heading for us here!

keep an eye out!

Posted
Not a problem! Call me Graham!

What ever is over the pennines at the moment must be fun to watch!! Shame its not really heading for us here!

keep an eye out!

Will do Graham.

I think the activity over the Pennines (and generally the spine of the country) will cross us later a a slight flow from the southeast develops.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

5 min radar just showed a massive increase in activity over graeter manchhster, showers developing over northern regions, culd this start to produce and build as we watch with our eyes!

5 min radar just showed a massive increase in activity over graeter manchhster, showers developing over northern regions, culd this start to produce and build as we watch with our eyes!

Yes showers over NW England and some north of the Humber as well. Should be a fun afternoon :)

Posted
http://www.lccc.co.uk/weatherstation/#hide_graphs

Lancashire cricket clubs web cam (currently showing them setting up for Take Thats gig :) )

Will be a good view if we get any storms.

Oh yes, I have friends coming to Manchester just for the gig! I think most of the action should subside by then but you never know.

Beautiful towers to my east getting higher! I wonder how long before we hear the first crack of thunder!

Karyo

Posted

Cloudy here for last hour or so. I can see the shrs over N York Moors about 40 miles away.

Development appears restcted to higher ground, its sunny still over low ground to my East.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

using the 00z Watnall (Nottingham) ascent, which should roughly represent the slack moist airmass over Nern England today, we can see fairly steep low level lapse rates were present creating a little CAPE, adjust this toa convective temp of 22C this afternoon, and we have fair bit of CAPE to be released given sufficient forcing. High PWAT (precipitable water) values around 30 suggest alot of rain could fall, also hail looks possible given drier air aloft and tops perhaps reaching 300mb:

post-1052-1245757631_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

So whats the chances my area will get anything today, for once I herd the west midlands mentoned.

Kain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Impressive convection here, very warm and humid....Some quite potent cells firing to my north (20-40 miles) drifting slowly SSW, could be a very interesting afternoon for my neck of the woods...

post-4149-1245760505_thumb.png

Posted
http://www.lccc.co.uk/weatherstation/#hide_graphs

Lancashire cricket clubs web cam (currently showing them setting up for Take Thats gig :) )

Will be a good view if we get any storms.

Looking to the north east at the moment, don't know if it moves.

Andrew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It looks as though I might be just a few ( literally ) miles to far east to catch any heavy downpours or storms today.

Some localised but very heavy showers have already developed between 10 and 30 miles west/north west of here but they are moving very slowly south westward.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Lots of convection going up here, might see a sharp shower, looks quite promising

Posted
It looks as though I might be just a few ( literally ) miles to far east to catch any heavy downpours or storms today.

Some localised but very heavy showers have already developed between 10 and 30 miles west/north west of here but they are moving very slowly south westward.

Yes, the radar is showing no showers to the east of the Pennines! I suspect some will break out later but most of the activity should remain to the west of the Pennines.

Towers continue to power up here and I can see the cloud associated with the shower to the southeast of Manchester.

Karyo

Posted

Just had 30 minutes of heavy rain from the Pennine storms, no thunder ,very humid, possibly more to come, ..weather station still kaput unfortunately.

Ian.

Keele University : Weather Data

Lat. 52° 59' 55 N Long. 2° 16' 05 W :

OS Grid Ref : SJ 820447; Alt. 179m (587ft) O.D.

Posted
using the 00z Watnall (Nottingham) ascent, which should roughly represent the slack moist airmass over Nern England today, we can see fairly steep low level lapse rates were present creating a little CAPE, adjust this toa convective temp of 22C this afternoon, and we have fair bit of CAPE to be released given sufficient forcing. High PWAT (precipitable water) values around 30 suggest alot of rain could fall, also hail looks possible given drier air aloft and tops perhaps reaching 300mb:

post-1052-1245757631_thumb.png

agree with much of what Nick has shown there, temps up to 25C with Td 14+C, a touch of surface convergence, very slight pressure falls, uplift over the Peak/ Pennines and the prob of ISOL Sev thundery downpours is certainly there, North Midlands north, chiefly GM, parts of Mers, Cheshire, S Yorks, W Yorks, N Yorks, Lancs, possibly N Derby seem most at risk at the moment.

Posted

Spots of rain here now

Posted

add East Yorks to the areas I metnioned

Posted
Lots of convection going up here, might see a sharp shower, looks quite promising

hi yeah we have loads of convection here there were a few showers building, very dark sky to my west, if we do get one it will prob build over head. so humid and hot when the sun comes out. sky is looking very stormy.

kaz

Posted
hi yeah we have loads of convection here there were a few showers building, very dark sky to my west, if we do get one it will prob build over head. so humid and hot when the sun comes out. sky is looking very stormy.

kaz

it is looking very thundery indeed here on the south coast!! it is very humid and the clouds are building very black to my east, some spots of rain, will keep you posted.

Posted

yes have seen many towers around in the car.

very warm here with combustion taking place :)

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Very heavy shower affecting north Manchester and drifting slowly westwards. Haven't heard any thunder.

The towers to my east have eased somewhat.

Karyo