Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion 26th June >>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sun been out here all morning - v warm and humid - few towers been building this morning, two in fact building in unison to my E.

What is interesting is that the Cu seems to be moving almost W/NW, with a slightly strengthening easterly breeze. With a CZ expected to form along the M4 and push weather, potentially E, a lot of converging winds could hopefully lead to some exciting weather. Not sure whether I'll see much here, but it could get exciting for some!!

EDIT - Not looking great for working the early part of this week at least - Mon 30C, Tues 30C, Weds 31C - add on the customary degree or two - lovely!! Just imagine if we get that plume come off towards the end of the week, with temperatures like that - bang bang bang!! :D

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
quick question Nick re. convergence zone.....will these potential storms just drift along the convergence zone?...if not, what direction would you expect them to track?.....cheers :D

Well, storms are normally steered by the mid-level winds, and although they are rather weak, storm motions should be towards N to NE albeit slow.

Posted

Laura Tobin just talking of the storms being further N than plumped for on here - I know there are a few CZ likely, but N EA, Lincs seems to be focus according to the graphics with them all spilling up the NE coastline - graphics indicating lighter showers along the M4 corridor.

Another interesting watch :D

Posted

NW forecast team are watching as convection sets off re any Alerts/Flashes.

I suspect that once they initiate the best way will be an Alert for those areas seeming to be most likely affected.

Take a look at the latest sat picc which shows where the sun is already heating the surface.

I suggest that anywhere that reaches 24C+ with dewpoints of 14C or more will be a breeding ground. That is NOT to say just because you reach those values you WILL get a storm. Life 'ain't that simple.

Watch the radar from early afternoon on, put the 850 and the 700 along with the 500mb wind flow pattern on and that will show where any individual storms are most likely to track. Look for low level convergence zones-surface winds flowing towards each other for those new to this; small pressure falls and possible mini surface low pressures forming will also aid the convection.

An interesting afternoon and evening I suspect for storm fans and as usual a frustrating one for those that don't get the storm they want!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

yes i think so means there is a small chance of seeing a storm. although saying that i am going to a bbq 2nite :D

Posted

Today looks alot more promising to yesterday which ended up a damp squib,with no sun as today the low cloud has broke up and there are some TCU starting and it`s certainly humid at 19.3c with no sun yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

just got back from driving in the van, noticed many tc's popping up, hoping for some action a little later this arvo, although Im goin to watch the planes up at biggin hope it wont spoil things too much :D

Posted

Im surprised to see a weather warning for my area today. No chance of any rain let alone a storm :D

Posted
Well both winds at the 850mb and 700mb level are slack and don't seem to be moving anywhere but when I look at the winds at the 500mb level they show a NW direction. So if any storms form south of here then would I be right in saying they'll track towards the midlands, albeit rather slowly?

Showers are moving NW on the radar.

It`s very deceiving though as low cloud is coming in from the west walking speed. :lol: light wind south or variable.

Those TCU we got to keep an eye on which direction there going.

Posted

Well here in kent its 25c and with a dew point of 19c very sticky yet again...... so we must be the breeding ground soon id of thought..... for east anglia etc..... sun is very strong here..... no storms here except half an hour of heavyish rain yesterday.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Lovely convection here in Ashford. The glider above me is certainly making the most of it. Free ride all day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Met O warning out for shropshire for thunderstorms!

woot

Posted

Hopefully will get a storm, temp 21.c with a dp of 18.c

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

We have an anvil to the south and scattered large cumulus clouds growing near it!! , if you are in canterbury you should be able to see it :lol: :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

No lightening anywhere yet today, still at least it should be mostly sunny and mid twenties temps. Wouldn't know what to do if there were strikes quite near me, i can't drive :lol:

I tried with bike when there was about 1,400 cape but it just ended up with me cycling 60 miles and utterly exhausted and nothing. Oh other than some black cloud shooting out a lightening bolt but that was MILES off.

Posted
We have an anvil to the south and scattered large cumulus clouds growing near it!! , if you are in canterbury you should be able to see it :lol: :D

Indeed its looking black to the south. It developed very quick on the NW radar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow.

Can see that anvil from Margate.

davehowe - margate

Posted

Look at this Met Office forecast! Sorry if already mentioned. It's for next week.

The weather will remain hot and humid on Thursday and Friday, possibly becoming very hot in inland central and southeastern England. Heavy showers and thunderstorms, becoming severe in places, are expected to develop in western and central areas on Thursday, moving into eastern parts on Friday.

Very early to make that prediction but very interesting never the less, unusual for them to mention the word 'severe'.

Posted

yeah can see a nice N-S line of CB's over Ashford way, only a matter of time before it goes bang (i hope!) :D

Posted
No lightening anywhere yet today, still at least it should be mostly sunny and mid twenties temps. Wouldn't know what to do if there were strikes quite near me, i can't drive :lol:

I tried with bike when there was about 1,400 cape but it just ended up with me cycling 60 miles and utterly exhausted and nothing. Oh other than some black cloud shooting out a lightening bolt but that was MILES off.

I tried getting around london once when the beeb were going for 'special' storms in the SE - ended up being stuck on the m25 for 5 hours as they'd closed it due to an accident. possible the worst chase I've had, and there's been a few shockers!

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb kent cells now showing up - i thought that was something north of southampton, but its just high level stuff .. get the feeling though that there'll be a few convergence lines around the south today, save the north hoging all the action :D

Posted
Look at this Met Office forecast! Sorry if already mentioned. It's for next week.

The weather will remain hot and humid on Thursday and Friday, possibly becoming very hot in inland central and southeastern England. Heavy showers and thunderstorms, becoming severe in places, are expected to develop in western and central areas on Thursday, moving into eastern parts on Friday.

Very early to make that prediction but very interesting never the less, unusual for them to mention the word 'severe'.

and unusual this early Dave...Not often w e are warned so early....

Cloud bubbling here quite fast

sferic towards Liverpool

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Probably a gutter for a lot of northern areas - sun has been out here all day, blue skies with a few Cu around, some nice towers at times.

Even if something began popping up here which I cant see happening (E Kent probably benefiting from CZ activity?) I couldnt detect thunder what with all the jets roaring from Biggin Hill :lol:

Certainly is v warm here at the moment, I'd say 26C atm - does feel v hot especially in the sun with increasingly less breeze.