Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 'no Storms Club 2009' Continued......

Posted

No tornadoes or funnel clouds but thunderstorm in my area tonight that was overhead more or less so I could be outta here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

NOTHING here AGAIN! B) I'm lost for words!Just can't understand why. :lol: :doh::(

Posted

It just isn't our summer for Lincoln this year. One small "storm" the other day and we have missed all the opportunities of today. I still feel like a member of this club. I wish I lived in Kent so badly.

Posted
NOTHING here AGAIN! :rolleyes: I'm lost for words!Just can't understand why. :):D <_<

im lost for words myself

Im trying reverse psychology.......I HATE THUNDERSTORMS

Edited by dogs32

Posted
im lost for words myself

Im trying reverse psychology.......I HATE THUNDERSTORMS

I HATE STORMS TOO!!!! I NEVER WANT A STORM EVER AGAIN GRRRRRRRRR :rolleyes: <_<

Posted
I HATE STORMS TOO!!!! I NEVER WANT A STORM EVER AGAIN GRRRRRRRRR :good: :lol:

we hate thunderstorms :lol:

im going to move to the Shetlands where they have not much in the way of Thunderstorms that often

Edited by dogs32

Posted

we hate thunderstorms laugh.gif

im going to move to the Shetlands where they have not much in the way of Thunderstorms that often

I'll jump on the band waggon too. I really hate storms near or over me!!!! Give me good old thnderstorms sunshine any day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

As promised about a month ago, I would do research into the amount of thunder experienced in the FLEET, HANTS and GUILDFORD, SURREY areas, to see how much of a decline there has been. The data is the number of days of thunder heard over a defined period and is not an indication of the number of individual thunder events in a day.

Data for Fleet goes back to 1983, which was an impressive year for thunderstorms whereas Guildford data is from 1997. I have used a 25 year mean for the Fleet data and 10 year mean for the shorter sampling period at Guildford.

Days of thunder per month at GUILDFORD, 1997 to present.

post-7417-12481978355865_thumb.jpg

Days of thunder per month at FLEET, 1983 to present.

post-7417-12481978807969_thumb.jpg

This is not a representation of all locations but there does not seem to be an overall decrease in thunder as conditions have varied throughout the period. At Fleet, 1983 was a very thundery year followed by a disappointing period in 1990 and 1991 then 1997 and 1998 followed by increased activity in 2006. Current conditions are weakening again as seen in the last year.

There have only been 7 days with thunder from 21st July 2008 to 21st July 2009. This is not the worst period as there were only 6 days between 1st August 2003 and late July 2004.

The difference of data at Guildford shows how a few miles can make such a difference. Although the sampling period is much smaller than that for Fleet, there seems to be more days of thunder per annum at Guildford than Fleet. The biggest differences were in 1998 (Fleet, 8 days and Guildford, 15 days) and 1999 (Fleet, 13 days and Guildford, 23 days) whereas other years showed less difference such as 2006 (Fleet, 21 days and Guildford, 23 days). Overall the 10 year (1998~2007 mean) was 11.5 days / year at Fleet and 16.3 days / year at Guildford.

Overall, the best thundery years were 1983, 1999 and 2006. 2000 and 2001 were pretty good too. At Fleet, in the earlier years, 1984 and 1987 were also quite good.

The worst years were 1990 and 1996 with a paltry 7 days and the 1996~1998 period (especially at Fleet) of being of protracted low activity.

Like any process in nature, there seems to be a 'boom and bust' pattern where low activity periods are followed by months or even years with increased days of thunder observations. A recent example was the poor end to 2005 and late start in 2006 to be followed by a bumper year.

I hope this is of interest.

Although not a member of the No Storms Club anymore - I promised some time ago I would post an article on the incidence of thunder. I put this in the "What's happened to our storms?" post inadvertantly.

Posted

Ok, this constant rain is doing my nut in. Do I have to wait untill nextyear for a chance at my ticket out of this NSC? No offense, I <3 you all, but I'm so in need of storm fix help.gif If Jane Louise gets her storm can we have a leaving party for her bess drunk.gif

I hereby solemnly swear that I (RAIN RAIN RAIN) have not witnessed a single storm so far this year in 2009.

And that if a storm decides to show up and surprise me I will be more then happy to resign my membership and notify the NSC immediately.

Rain Rain Rain (Plenty of that without storms!)

Edited by RAIN RAIN RAIN

Posted

Nothing again,absolutely NOTHING.I cant believe this!!

I'm definitely emigrating NOW.mad.gifcray.gif

Posted

I dont wont to get your hopes up Jane.

But if you look at the history of Glos you will find the most severe TS happened in August and September over the years..

Its not often we get severe storm's from Jan- July...

Was checking my old VHS tapes recorded from a camera from 1990 to 2005..

I found the dates were mainly from Aug-Sept.....

So some hope....

To be honest even if we get a storm at the moment I wont be outside watching..feel to rough..

Thats a miracle for me..

So hopefully by August and September we will get our fair share...

Also on my tapes the Storms are not crash bang whollop ones....lol...but quite intense for a UK storm.

IF we get through Aug-Sept without a severe storm then it will be a first..

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

No 'proper' thunderstorm all this year, let alone Summer. No thunder even heard this month, while June it was heard on 2 days, one a weak effort but at least overhead, while the other was in the distance.

Frequent reports of thunder, lightning and storms from relatives in Coventry, so they seem to be doing well as usual. Coventry had some crackers most Summers while I was there.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

The best months for thunder or thunderstorms here are usually May/June and July that was during 80`s, 90`s august was a dying month for thunderstorms.

Years like 2004 and 2006 gave thundery showers even into september and as late as the 21st october.

Since 2007 it`s as late as late July. :)

Posted

We have had a number of heavy thundery showers this year here but no organised outbreaks of storms like in 2006/2007 and years before. Yesterdays was quite fun though with the vicious rainstorm and hail.

I once did a study on El Nino and thunderstorms and there is a loose correlation between the frequency and intensity of thunderstorm outbreaks in the UK and El Nino, so hopefully the developing El Nino at the moment will stimulate more thunderstorm activity over the next year or so as data indicates that there is a trend. We might finally get some good storms for most everyone instead of just "hit or miss" thundery showers.

Posted

We have had a number of heavy thundery showers this year here but no organised outbreaks of storms like in 2006/2007 and years before. Yesterdays was quite fun though with the vicious rainstorm and hail.

I once did a study on El Nino and thunderstorms and there is a loose correlation between the frequency and intensity of thunderstorm outbreaks in the UK and El Nino, so hopefully the developing El Nino at the moment will stimulate more thunderstorm activity over the next year or so as data indicates that there is a trend. We might finally get some good storms for most everyone instead of just "hit or miss" thundery showers.

Hi Rich...have you more info on the El Nino effect....

where about's are we in it...The Start or the End.......any more info on the subject..

I often study the effect of the Storms in the USA with The Nino..

any links for this for UK Storms and effects

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I dont wont to get your hopes up Jane.

But if you look at the history of Glos you will find the most severe TS happened in August and September over the years..

Its not often we get severe storm's from Jan- July...

Was checking my old VHS tapes recorded from a camera from 1990 to 2005..

I found the dates were mainly from Aug-Sept.....

So some hope....

To be honest even if we get a storm at the moment I wont be outside watching..feel to rough..

Thats a miracle for me..

So hopefully by August and September we will get our fair share...

Also on my tapes the Storms are not crash bang whollop ones....lol...but quite intense for a UK storm.

IF we get through Aug-Sept without a severe storm then it will be a first..

Oh dogss ,thanks for letting me know. Maybe I do like thunderstorms after all ,only a little though grrrr (reversed psychology) Lol

Well hopefully our storm season starts in August. :D and then I will be able to leave the NSC. :bad:

Posted

Hi Rich...have you more info on the El Nino effect....

where about's are we in it...The Start or the End.......any more info on the subject..

I often study the effect of the Storms in the USA with The Nino..

any links for this for UK Storms and effects

El Nino started only recently. As for its effects on the USA severe storm season there are no really conclusive correlations of El Nino to severe weather frequency apparently, apart from leading to dryer and warmer winter weather in the northern states and wetter cool weather in the south western states.

Well I am personally moving back to Buxton Derbyshire tomorrow, the place where there have been about 2 storms in 4 years of me living there. Boooo.

Posted

I really thought today would be the dayfor our first proper storm here.The clouds looked like something from the USA. Beautiful convection and about 5 anvils. But what did we get!!!!! NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGG :angry::)

I will wait for August now(or should I say 2015) lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

I am now leaving the no storms club after Mancehsters efforts yesterday morning!

Posted

You are really lucky.. :D I think there is only a few of us left in here now. Just us Gloucestershire lot it seems . :D

Posted

Dogs32... Your time will come, and August is the usual for imported stuff. (Well it worked in the 1970's and 80's!)

Jane Louise... 2015? Nah. I think next week (Thursday/Friday) is your resign from the NSC. (Can I take over if correct? :D )

If not, I'll eat my shorts. (Might as flippin' well given most of July, METO SCREWED UP AGAIN so far!) Pffft!! huh.gif

That's three in a row METO!! Now Summer 2010, can you NOT predict in order to save face? (And high wages!!) whistling.gif

I'll give my Summer for 2010 now...

Hot at times, but thundery. La Nina has now all but dissipated so El Nino will be back in force. As for global warming?? Pfft!! rolleyes.gif

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Do not worry Jane, your storm will come...how many times have you read that? :D The reason being that the setup just hasn't favoured the West Midlands or the SW but I'm sure before the Summer is out, or September for that matter, you and I will get that defining storm this year. It happened in Aug last year, so too it can happen this year! I think we've waited long enough! :(

???

Despite July being pretty poor i think we have done very well this year-well here has anyway! 10 is much better than last years pathetic attempt except 28th July.

The SW Is not a good place for storms but i feel The West Midlands has done very well. :)

On the other hand im extremely surprised to find some Gloucestershirians still in here! The best of luck for Au...

2015!!! :(

No i wont be unfair-the best of luck for August!

Edited by Blizzards