Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms & Convective Discussion

Tim B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Starting to thunder from the dark shower cloud to my West, saw one flash of CC lightning, i hope it makes it over here

Actually its starting to rain now.

Well you've certainly got some storms knocking about up there :lol:

post-3790-1246457375_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A few pics from the cell south of stoke, no rain from it here, but several loud rumbles of thunder, some nice updraughts on its western flank :lol:

storm1041.jpg

storm1043.jpg

storm1044.jpg

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

These look like convergence showers/storms according to the XCweather wind graph, Its the extra lift that was needed to spark off the convective storms due for today otherwise I think we'd have been struggling to see anything until Nocturnal Cooling started to take place later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Interesting charts at present for tomorrow!

Pay particular attention to the spread of humidity % values - very low for many southern areas of England at 1800 Thursday, though compare it to 6 hours later at Fri 0000! :lol:

Potentially more difficult night sleep expected then :D hopefully due to noise!

post-3790-1246457701_thumb.png

post-3790-1246457713_thumb.png

Posted

rain is absoloutly torrential here :lol: thunder is proper loud lmao, yet to see any lightening though

Posted

Torrential rain, intermittant flashes of lightning and its thundering. yay. :D

Waited a while for this. :D

I saw 4 flashes Andy thus far, i'm looking east atm, lightning seems everywhere and its still thundering.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow
rain is absoloutly torrential here :D thunder is proper loud lmao, yet to see any lightening though

Same here, 22mm in the last hour :D 28.2C earlier, but it is still 26.7C now so no relief, its actually worse. Thunder rumbling once every 30 seconds to a minute now.

Posted

The shower has developed into a downpoor now here in South Manchester. It shouldn't last long but impressive nevertheless.

Hoping to import more from the north Midlands!

Karyo

Posted

just saw massive cloud to ground lightening :| i stand corrected geordiesnow haha

edit: and again lol haha, i was looking the wrong way :D

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

This is killing me trapped in work. Got dark clouds to the East towards my house, and plenty of lightning and thunder coming from that way. Just started raining here but the main action looks slightly to the east over my house.

Did you see the lunchtime (13.40) forecast on BBC1 Points West with Richard Angwin?

A real point of note for all NW members in Wiltshire (yes I am talking to me :D ), Bristol & Gloucestershire : tomorrow looks like produce torrential thundery rain for Devon/Somerset but, into the evening as it moves further E/NE, the system, to quote the forecaster, will lose energy to become heavy showers.

I think our best chance could come if the front holds out West allowing the heat to build and produce thundery showers during the afternoon.

To be honest we could get better thundery showers over a wider area once it turns more unsettled over the weekend!

I really hope we do get something out of it. He was really ramping the torrential thundery rain for the whole region for a few days, but now its just in Somerset as you said.

If i dont get and thunder/lightning from this hot spell :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
The shower has developed into a downpoor now here in South Manchester. It shouldn't last long but impressive nevertheless.

Karyo

This is whats heading your way, plenty more convection occuring to my south as well :D

post-4149-1246458266_thumb.png

Posted

Karyo

We must be on the edge of what you are getting here in Stretford. Just had a dribble of huge drops for about a minute and then it stopped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Convection appearing here to the far north, i can see towering clouds, could be something in mid wales later on

Posted

Big storm to the NW of Darlington, missed here altogether, probably further away than it looks, 20-30 miles away, upper Wear Valley and NW Durham getting a pasting. Its full sun here, been outside to view the massive cells, distant thunder audible. Now back at 28°C here, it peaked at 29.1 at 14.30 according to our tech boys :D

Posted

Just had a overhead flash just now, round 2 perhaps? Rain trying to get heavier.

Cell towards the east is still slowly moving away and rumbling whilst it does so. Hopefully more to come. :D

Another flash and a huge crash, seems like we are in another cell now. :D

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
This is whats heading your way, plenty more convection occuring to my south as well :D

post-4149-1246458266_thumb.png

Thanks mate, it should be an interesting afternoon then!

I notice there is once again a sharp dividing line to the east of which nothing develops!

The shart shower has moved north now shoukld be dumping some rain over Bolton way.

hi wkdfraggle, yes i am not surprised by what you say as the nature is those showers is very localised.

Karyo

Posted

lightening still keeping up, rain increasing again as you say geordie snow haha :D its weird cos im only down the road from you as im in hebburn at the minute on victoria road

Posted

Ok I've got rapid convection, the CB in these images is developing so rapidly you can see its progress with your naked eye.

post-131-1246459630_thumb.jpg

post-131-1246459642_thumb.jpg

post-131-1246459652_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow
Just had a overhead flash just now, round 2 perhaps? Rain trying to get heavier.

Cell towards the east is still slowly moving away and rumbling whilst it does so. Hopefully more to come. :D

Another flash and a huge crash, seems like we are in another cell now. :D

I'm onto cell 3 now, the 1st didn't deliver much thunder though.

Posted

Hopefully we will get a heavy shower here, seen as we have a warning im sure we will do at some point, current temp is 29.9c :D , with a dp of 16.8c, hopefully the temp is also right for storms.

Posted

Another darkish cloud to my SW, tbh the clouds have not been all that dark so i am surprised by how much rain did fell, rain trying to get heavier once again.

Where are all the members from around here? Must be to busy out in the storm. :D